Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are people running for radiators?

Hybrid booster

What are people running for radiators?

I'm weighing my options on radiators right now. I have a stock 86 Shelby Charger with the a/c removed and no intercooler. I live in Ga so the summers get HOT but the car won't be driven much.
    1) quote on getting original radiator re-cored is $225
    2) new radiators range from 150 to 250
    3) I don't feel comfortable using a used one
    4) do these $50 honda ebay radiators work?
    5) I can fabricate brackets but refuse to drill any holes in my car
    6) I'm not partial to using a stock part, I'm going for a function is greater than form approach for now
    Last edited by RattFink; 06-16-2015 at 07:53 PM.

turbo addict

Re: What are people running for radiators?

T1 Charger with no a/c and no intercooler?

Just get a stock replacement radiaitor from autozone with a life time warranty and it will outlast the car!

turbo addict

I run a cheap Honda radiator and I live in South Carolina. If I sit and idle for extended periods the temp would creep up. I think with proper shrouding for both the radiator and the fan it would take care of that issue. It would probably end up being cheaper just to go with a stock rad though.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i have a 2 core on in my reliant right now with a 2001 caravan fan attached to it. fits pretty well. i havent had the car off the ramps yet but the fan had no problem keeping it from 180-190 idling for a long time. it pulled it down real quick too. i have my blow 35mph fan schedules set at 190on and 180 off though.

i used the 2 core right now as i flush the coolant system. i have a 3 core waiting. ill be shrouding the fan to the radiator a little better too.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

I bought a 24x48 abs sheet to competely seal around the fmic and hopefully have enough left over to seal around the backside too

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    T1 Charger with no a/c and no intercooler?

Just get a stock replacement radiaitor from autozone with a life time warranty and it will outlast the car!
    $119 with free shipping at Autozone isn't bad. $30 off coupon right now. I've been using Rockauto alot but it seems like their prices are just higher on certain things.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

I ran my old 85 Shelby Charger with a stock rad for years (Spearco intercooled running over 20+ lbs of boost)
    I live just outside Chicago and was lazy and left the AC condenser in also never had issues
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Use the widest radiator you can. Wider is better than thicker.
    I used a full-width GPKH T1 radiator in my Horizon. I had to relocate the alternator to where the A/C compressor was to fit it far over to pass intercooler plumbing past it on the driver's side. But you may not have to do that if you are not running an intercooler.
    That setup never ran hotter than thermostat cracking temp unless idling for a long time. The fan would usually cycle for less than a minute if it came on. It was a great setup.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Use the widest radiator you can. Wider is better than thicker.
    I used a full-width GPKH T1 radiator in my Horizon. I had to relocate the alternator to where the A/C compressor was to fit it far over to pass intercooler plumbing past it on the driver's side. But you may not have to do that if you are not running an intercooler.
    That setup never ran hotter than thermostat cracking temp unless idling for a long time. The fan would usually cycle for less than a minute if it came on. It was a great setup.
    So your saying a radiator from say a 91 daytona T1? I like that idea... any pics of your setup? What did you do for mounts/hoses/fan?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    So your saying a radiator from say a 91 daytona T1? I like that idea... any pics of your setup? What did you do for mounts/hoses/fan?
    You're wasting your time and throwing money away. You have no intercooler and no a/c. Stock replacement Lbody HD radiator is your best option and will never over heat, not even in 130F weather in any street or drag strip situation.

Now, if you live in AZ, have a front mounter intercooler, working a/c, and see 120F summer like I am, then you will need an aftermarket radiator.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    I do not have any pictures, and the car is all apart now for the 2.4 swap. I used one for an '89 daytona. They use the same style of mounts as the Lbody. Welded some new feet on onto the lower rad support for it to rest on and drilled new holes for the upper mounts. I used a Hayden universal fan and the hoses were Daytona that I shortened with connectors.

But...

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    You're wasting your time and throwing money away. You have no intercooler and no a/c. Stock replacement Lbody HD radiator is your best option and will never over heat, not even in 130F weather in any street or drag strip situation.
    He's probably right. A stock Lbody radiator was fine for me until I intercooled my car.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

I had a stock charger one re-cored with a core that the shop uses for trucks. I had it made narrower so that my intercooler pipes can go around it. I don't have any cooling issues.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Hybrid booster

I got a godspeed rad that was out of a honda, not sure what honda though.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

When I needed a new radiator for my Scamp, I bought an 86 Daytona radiator. Buy the Daytona upper & lower hoses as well. Then, all you have to do is move the passenger side lower mount over to match the new radiator, and fab simple sheetmetal mounts for the top. I did have to cut a notch for the overflow hose, and run it over the radiator support, then to the overflow tank, but it was very simple to do, and I have absolutely no issues with cooling now. In fact, I installed a 160* thermostat several years ago trying to solve a hot running issue that turned out to be the radiator. Now with the bigger radiator, I very rarely see over 180* temps even in 90*+ weather... Also the stock L-body fan will attach directly to it... Rock auto has them for $69.... Much cheaper than an L-body radiator....

turbo addict

I got this ebay 3 core civic radiator. Should work good.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Ooooh! Me likey!
    You using this on a van? My memory is lousy.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

Thats what I am using in my race car and have had zero problems.

thats whats in my reliant right now. i grafted a 2001 caravan fan onto it. good airflow. we'll see if it copes with a massive intercooler and ac condensor.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Mines in an omni. I ordered this shroud/fan.

I'm going to have very little room for the shroud. I'm also going to have to relocate the lower outlet. I might have to massage the shroud to clear the oil filter.

mine is not in an omni. i have plenty of room for my caravan fan and multi piece radiator hose (1.25 90deg elbow, gates 1.25 flex hose, some random 1.5 to 1.25 with a 90deg hose at advance, 2 couplers from mcmaster and a bunch of clamps)

wayne, if it keeps cool with mine, you should be fine.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast