Thread: Daytuna's 1987 Daytona

Threaded View

Mitsu booster

Thumbs up Daytuna's 1987 Daytona

Hello Everyone -

Its been a long time coming, but I am finally back into the turbo dodge joyride. Some of you may know me as "ZShadow" but since I let the account go without activity it was deleted... So back to square one! Hello Again!

A little history about the cars:
    1987 Dodge Daytona Pacifica

Back in 2004 I bought a 1987 Daytona Pacifica from Maine for $500. Not knowing much about TD's, I tried to drive it home with a popped head gasket and a blown clutch. Little did I know how much fun this car would be. All throughout high-school I wrenched on the car day and night, trying to just get it to run correctly.

With the help of Slasky, Aries_Turbo and Orangetona, I was able to get the Pacifica running... Not well... but at least running

List of upgrades/fixes to Pacfica:

• TI to TII conversion.
    • 4Pin O2
    • American Racing Wheels
    • Garrett TII
    • Volvo FMIC
    • Gabriel VST shocks/struts with Suspenstion Techniques Springs
    • Replaced knuckles with the "Modern" bolt in wheel bearings
    • 2.5" exhaust, no cat & no muff
    • 2.5" Swing Valve
    • G-Valve

Unfortunately I decided to spend A LOT of money and go to college, so I ended up selling the car to Brian. He fixed all of my stupid mistakes and added more goodies to an already awesome Daytona.

In 2009 I graduated college I moved back to NY in mid 2010. Got a hold of Brian to see if the car was still around, and bought it back . Its been sitting in the garage ever since. About 2 years ago, I got back into wrenching on the car. While I was mulling over different ideas for the Pacifica, I found another Daytona that was too good to pass up.

1987 T-Top Dodge Daytona Pacifica
    T-Top Current Specs:

• 87 2.2 Stock Rebuilt Bottom
    • 520 Tranny
    • 782 Ported to match
    • SRT4 FMIC
    • Mostly 2.5" FMIC piping
    • Oldschool super60
    • 2 piece intake mani w/ AFPR
    • 3" exhaust from the swingvalve down
    • T-Tops with bags - THEY DONT LEAK!!!!
    • Crab wheels

In 2015 I bought the T-Tops, and man this thing is gorgeous! There is zero rust on it, the doors open without having to be the incredible hulk, and the rear hatch struts work! zomg!

It currently doesnt run, but I think I have it narrowed down to the starter being shot, although its quite difficult to read codes with no dash

Here is a list of things to be done to the T-Top:

• Swap in Dashboard
    • Reinstall front seats
    • Swap axles from Pacifica into T-Top
    • Pull 555 from Pacifica
    • Swap 11" Brakes over to T-Top
    • Install Digital Dash
    • Install Gauges
    • Replace starter on T-Top
    • Replace alternator
    • Replace Radiator
    • Replace the garbage stuff with quality silicone couplers
    • Swap Suspension

There are a couple flaws in the T-Top but with a perfectly good Pacifica sitting there, its just a matter of replacing the bad with good.

Daytuna's Two Daytonas
    The pile of crap is from the T-Tops, it originally had dents in the fenders and a 90's style front end. Replaced it with the 87 style off the Pacifica. Also swapped over the power bulge hood.

As you can see the interior is pretty beat. The carpet was stained to hell, the seats worn and torn, plus the dash was literally falling a part. My buddy Derek helping out and unbolting the seats.

Once we had the interior out we cleaned it, and hit it with a couple coats of rust prevention paint. Better to be safe than sorry.

The rear plastic panels installed, along with rear carpet.

Had to make two modifications for the panels to fit. First the top was about 3 inches long due to the T-Tops, second I had to cut a slot for the seatbelts to slide through.

Since I had never taken out a dashboard, I called my interior guru Joe to come lend a hand.

Joe in his meditation position

And its never to late to learn something new....

I never knew this controlled the headlights.

And here she be!

The End Goal
    • Swap in Rebuilt SRT4 Motor
    • 555 Tranny
    • Stage 3 or 4 Clutch
    • Spearco FMIC
    • Custom Cal
    • Weld in half cage (rear hoop)
    • Weld in bracing so the car doesn't flex
    • Get it painted - Already have a shop ready to go, I just don't trust myself lifting a motor out without scratching fresh paint

Thats all for now. I dont get time to work on it as much as Id like to, but I will try to post as progress is made.
    Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks!
    -Daytuna

EDIT - Sorry for the missing pictures, when i posted them the first time they all showed up.
    Last edited by Daytuna; 06-27-2015 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Apparently I don't know how to computer...