Thread: Recovering Daytona Sun viisors

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Recovering Daytona Sun viisors

OK, I posted this question in my Daytona thread, but didn't get a response, so I figured I'd post it here for more exposure.

Has anybody sucessfully taken apart Daytona sun visors and recovered them? I see that they are plastic, and I can stick a small screw driver in the edge. How do you pop them apart without breaking them? I know how to take the illuminated mirrors out, but have not been able to pop the visors apart, and I don't want to break them.

Also, has anybody sucessfully taken apart the "door" over the illuminated mirrors to put new fabric in them?

I ordered new material From Albright's Supply, hoping to start on the headliner & visors late next week, once the material arrives...

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Re: Recovering Daytona Sun viisors

Minigts did the visors in his Lancer. He may have some insight.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...MINIGTS+LANCER

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Minigts did the visors in his Lancer. He may have some insight.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...MINIGTS+LANCER
    Thanks for the link. I sent him a PM.

BTW, I finally got the seats installed in my Scamp that I purchased from you last fall. They are a HUGE improvement over the vinyl buckets that were in there. Thanks...

Hybrid booster

I've done them on a couple different cars. They just pop apart.

I never could figure out how to get the mirror door apart to do that piece though

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
    I've done them on a couple different cars. They just pop apart.

I never could figure out how to get the mirror door apart to do that piece though
    Depends on the year and how old and brittle the plastic is. The 87 Lancer ones are not snap together, like the 89 CSX. One came apart pretty easily, one did not and I had to replace it. The second one started to do the same and I took a hacksaw to break the part that wasn't coming free easily.

You'll need some epoxy to put them back together. I also got multiple thin hardback books and some small clamps. The books I put on either side of the visor and then use the clamp to hold it in place while the epoxy set. I used about 4 books and had only 4 clamps, but I would use 6 clamps to ensure every place is held down securely. This is not the one that came apart easily. This is the hard one. It cracked in two places, but once it's together it won't be noticeable at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150619_080331.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	55261 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150619_080352.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	55262

The mirror, that's another story. Probably one of the scarier parts of breaking these things apart (no pun intended). I carefully and SLOWLY took an exacto knife and started one small area between the top trim/bezel and pried between it and the base black part of the mirror area. Once I got enough separated, I used a tiny flat blade screw driver and slowly went to town prying a little at a time. You could try putting this part in the freezer and see if that makes it easier, but it could also make it more brittle. All I can say is, be careful with this part. I have a spare mirror if you break one, but just take your time. I used a stiffer razor, just using this one to point out where to separate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150619_080512.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	55263

Sorry I missed this thread, been doing other things lately.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]