Thread: 95 Voyager Turbo Part 2(?)

Garrett booster

95 Voyager Turbo Part 2(?)

I've lost track of how many changes this think has had, but it's time to get it on the road again!
    The previous thread is here => http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...rbo&highlight=
    Though I think a lot of the pictures got mangled from Photobucket.
    Here’s a link to the album if you care to take a look.
    http://s408.photobucket.com/user/Str...oyager%20Turbo

Well, I stopped driving the van due to it smoking pretty badly. I was pretty sure it was a valve guide or a valve stem seal issue. Then I decided to take it out for a spin and ended up over-spooling the turbo. Now’s as good of a time as any to replace the head and turbo.

Sad dusty van

I don’t think the shaft of the turbo is supposed to come out that direction.

Bleh! I got a lot of miles out of the free, home rebuilt, and not balanced turbo.

Yeah, I think it’s bad.

The manifold had a nice big crack.

Looks like I’m going to need a new EGT probe.

Turns out the previous machine shop had installed all of valve guides too low to the point where the valve stem seals had nothing to grab on to. I knew something looked fishy from the start, it should have never been installed. Here you can see the exhaust port on cylinder 3 was puking oil pretty well.

This should do nicely!
    It’s a journal bearing t3/t4b with a 46 trim compressor wheel and F1-54 turbine wheel with the .63a/r turbine housing and a 2.5” swing valve. Thanks to Cindy @ FWD!

Got the replacement head back from the machine shop (a different one this time). I didn’t go too crazy with the port work. It’s mostly just matching.

Cleaned up a new manifold and port matched it to the turbine housing. Mike Holler’s article on Allpar had some good information. http://www.allpar.com/fix/holler/exhaust-porting.html

Drilled it for a new EGT probe and replaced the studs I broke. I couldn’t find a decent price on the 10mm X 1.5 studs anywhere so I just bought a 1M piece of grade 8.8 all thread from Amazon for $8 with free shipping and cut it up.

Purdy

It has sadly taken months to get to this point.
    I used the Dorman 03411 exhaust manifold stud and nut kit and it worked great.

Hopefully it will run again this Saturday!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Re: 95 Voyager Turbo Part 2(?)

Looking forward to seeing the van up and running again!
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Cool news!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the van up and running again!
    When's the next dyno day? I'd like to get some hard numbers on this setup

Hybrid booster

Everyday is dyno day

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

I thought it was a V6 turbo? I am loosing track of your vans,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

It was originally a broken 3.0/3spd and we swapped it to 2.5/5spd.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Any suggestions for a guy thinking of doing a 2nd gen van turbo swap? I recently acquired a roached 89 5spd van. It really need rebodied. I was thinking of using a 2nd gen van because it should be easier to find a nicer doner.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

2g uses a body control module to run all the gauges and interior stuff so if you want to have functional stock gauges you have to be able to read a wiring diagram and figure out how to reroute those signals.

I feel the easiest way to do it is to get a 2g TBI/5spd van, find a turbo SBEC, and add the additional turbo circuits to the TBI harness. What was done here was mixing an 89 SMEC harness with the 95 harness including PDC relay/fuse box and feeding all the signals through the stock BCM but out to a Daytona instrument cluster with 145mph speedo and factory boost gauge and retaining airbag functionality and all of that. Not the easiest approach but obviously it's possible.

The main reason 2g vans have rarely been turbo swapped is because there just aren't that many 'hobbyists' who are good enough with wiring diagrams and soldering to end up with a fully 'functional' van that doesn't have half---- or non-working stuff on it. If you're one of the ones who can, go for it!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?