Thread: if I made brand new synchros would anyone want them?

turbo addict

if I made brand new synchros would anyone want them?

Looking at one of the brass (I think? or is it some weird tranny alloy?) synchro rings from my A523, I think I could probably make one. But it would require ALOT of work to get the fixturing and toolpaths designed. Would anyone even buy them? How much would they pay? And they would end up being somewhat experimental still.

I think its possible because the brass rings don't look ground, and dont look hardened (because they are brass). I can't currently make any precision ground and/or hardened parts.

Is there anyone else who can make them? Or maybe some other synchro ring that is compatible and more common?

Re: if I made brand new synchros would anyone want them?

I am interested. Not sure how much I would pay...

turbo addict

I plan on swapping in a 523 as they seem like the most common trans so I would be interested.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I plan on swapping in a 523 as they seem like the most common trans so I would be interested.
    The brass is the same for all of them.

I've got a good amount of them so I don't have an interest at this time. Frankly, for what I've picked them up for I would be impressed if you could make them for that. IIRC list was $30 or so a piece last I checked and there were still some out there. I got a set of them for $25 on here about 2 years ago I think.

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: Now I would buy the custom 5th gear that you had talked about before.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post

I've got a good amount of them so I don't have an interest at this time. Frankly, for what I've picked them up for I would be impressed if you could make them for that. IIRC list was $30 or so a piece last I checked and there were still some out there. I got a set of them for $25 on here about 2 years ago I think.

- - - Updated - - -

okay that settles in then....the "parts for our trannies are getting scarce" comments I see must either not be for synchros, or are a few years premature perhaps! I definitely could not come anywhere near $30 each

The day will come when I make gears but it will be awhile. Making a custom 5th gear for TM's would probably be a good first attempt so I'll keep it in mind

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    okay that settles in then....the "parts for our trannies are getting scarce" comments I see must either not be for synchros, or are a few years premature perhaps! I definitely could not come anywhere near $30 each

The day will come when I make gears but it will be awhile. Making a custom 5th gear for TM's would probably be a good first attempt so I'll keep it in mind
    Don't go settling it on my account. I know that I've had the good fortune to run across a few transmissions in suspiciously good condition. I've also had the good fortune of realizing that the synchros for 3/4 and 5th are the same for the transmissions so I saved a lot of 525 parts which others would have perhaps thrown away.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

There either cast or forged and then machine finished. I run a CNC at work so I can feel a bit qualified to say it would be a lot of work to cut one, one at a time from scratch, either from a solid chunk or a blank ring (if brass stock even exists in such a form ?) and sell it at a price that you and the end customer are happy with ? Anything with this crowd is a tough sell.

Someone out there makes these things, the two big A833 vendors (brewers, passon) both sell new brass for less than $20/each and claim they are USA made at that. I got to suspect they are not buying 10,000 pieces at a time from whoever makes them. finding that company and inquiring would be a more probable end result I think.

Parts are most certainly getting scarce and some are just plain not available. unfortunately with the circumstances being what they are, a very small market with an even smaller crowd willing to spend anything to fix their stuff vs just keep changing transmissions.

Sad all the way around.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    There either cast or forged and then machine finished. I run a CNC at work so I can feel a bit qualified to say it would be a lot of work to cut one, one at a time from scratch, either from a solid chunk or a blank ring (if brass stock even exists in such a form ?) and sell it at a price that you and the end customer are happy with ? Anything with this crowd is a tough sell.

Someone out there makes these things, the two big A833 vendors (brewers, passon) both sell new brass for less than $20/each and claim they are USA made at that. I got to suspect they are not buying 10,000 pieces at a time from whoever makes them. finding that company and inquiring would be a more probable end result I think.

Parts are most certainly getting scarce and some are just plain not available. unfortunately with the circumstances being what they are, a very small market with an even smaller crowd willing to spend anything to fix their stuff vs just keep changing transmissions.

Sad all the way around.
    You've got us pegged.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post

Sad all the way around.

Making these would be the most challenging machining project I would have taken on so far.

I think it would require a few indexing fixtures. Hopefully the cone could be accomplished with a 3 axis ball mill finish, otherwise things would start getting alot more complicated.

turbo addict

actually wait a second..is the cone literally just a cone? its not spherical right? if its just got straight sides then I could do it on the manual lathe in a special jig that lets me precision center it and then machine the cone as well as the oil grooves..thats alot more realistic

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I know the A555 (1989) models have the 3 piece 1st and 2nd gears synchro setup. Would it be possible to make those in brass instead of iron like stock? Not sure its work it, but thought I would throw it out there.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

- - - Updated - - -

List price where? LOL. I don't count partsvoice. I paid ridiculous money for some OEM diff shims and you think a dealer wants to sell me some synchros for 20 bucks? They don't have singles, I just checked.
    Nobody wants to say where they get parts because this community has that "if you fail, I can beat you" mentality.

I don't care how much something sold for at one point when you can't actually order it. ST springs used to cost 220 bucks. I bought them from 3 vendors who all had to refund me.

Yes, lots of us have "sychros out there" but when I checked, a rebuild kit with synchros was "listed" at 500 bucks before they stopped being available from that company and most of that was in the synchros. Did you see how much Cliff was selling used synchros for? USED. Nobody would be paying 100-200 bucks plus their time for junkyard transmissions if new parts were 20 bucks each.

I also don't want to buy a rebuild kit, I just want synchros.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 06-05-2015 at 06:51 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

The brass ring, not the whole synchro. It was a while back when I checked on them. Probably two years.

turbo addict

The brass ring, not the whole synchro. It was a while back when I checked on them. Probably two years.
    Thats what I mean. The other stuff is not a consumable so why would you be ordering it? Rebuild kits never came with new gears or sliders.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    I know the A555 (1989) models have the 3 piece 1st and 2nd gears synchro setup. Would it be possible to make those in brass instead of iron like stock? Not sure its work it, but thought I would throw it out there.
    Im not sure, I dont even know if I could make any of them yet.

turbo addict

theres alot of geometry in these things..would definitely be a brain teaser

Are all the synchro rings the same in the tranny? How do you tell them apart? My broken 523 is totally disassembled and I have no idea whats what anymore.

turbo addict

theres alot of geometry in these things..would definitely be a brain teaser

Are all the synchro rings the same in the tranny? How do you tell them apart? My broken 523 is totally disassembled and I have no idea whats what anymore.

I flipped around 1-2 and lost 2nd gear! Look up the expanded parts on google. None of the parts are for sale anymore but they are described.

- - - Updated - - -

Im not sure, I dont even know if I could make any of them yet.
    I think I would rather have relined stockers.