Thread: auto trans with 52mm tb...

boostaholic

auto trans with 52mm tb...

Ok so im sure this had to be touched on in the past... not going to run a MVB so thats is out of the question... ive searched with no luck so if anyone happens to stumble across a thread with this info can you please link it... for those who have no idea what im talking about the a413 requires a kickdown cable... this informs the trans as to what throttle position the tb is at for gear selection and passing... problem is 46mm tb comes with a slide provision for the cable to attach... the 52 however does not (coming from the v6 with electronic trans)...

Now there is a hole in the plate bracket and it is about the same distance from the throttle plate center.. but it is set about an inch furthere back (25mm for our northern brothers)...

What i want to try is a small extension spring thats is striong enough to pull the kickdown lever from closed to wot but stretch a bit if throttle plate rotation exceed the kickdown lever movement.. BUT being more of a fixed type mounting for the cable rather than the slide action mounting wwill this interfeer with trans operation upon quick thrittle closing? For example wot thru 1-2-3 then snapping itclosed to a big wooosh from the bov then coming down in mph... will the vb act funny if the kickdown lever is closed at say like 100 mph? Does the kickdown lever stay inplace and slowly returns back to resting position as the mph comes down thus utilizing the slide actiin that the 46 has?

I have a theroy that if i use a pivoting spring the throttle plate can still snap closed but the spring will essentially catalever back still being able to let the kickdown return by it self...

Thank all, i hope this make sense...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: auto trans with 52mm tb...

Am I to understand that you're wanting to keep the TV at full extension regardless of throttle position? If so, I would imagine it would be easier to just "pin"/fix the arm at the trans...

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I will just point out that you can grind the weld off and actually swap the cable arms between the throttle bodies if you want to.

You can also convert a stock valve body to full manual, it just wont be reverse pattern. I have one like that in one of my cars.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Not sure what you are asking, but if the 52mm doesn't have the kick down lever, just swap it from the 46mm unit.
    The trans is very sensitive to this cable so I wouldn't be messing with changing ratio's etc on the lever.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Hmm yeah maybe didnt explain what im looking for... i want to keep the kickdown, i dont really want to mess with grinding welds on the 52mm.. i know the 46 arm unbolts.. been down this road, destroyed a 52 tb.. i dont want to pin it open... want it to be full function..

I guess im asking is at idle the kickdown lever is "closed"... when opening the throttle plate the kickdown "opens" along with it, all the way to wot... in normal automatic operation with a 46 with the slide arm, when at wot at speed and the throttle is suddenly snapped shut, does the kickdown/cable stay in the "open" position as the vehicle decelerates from speed?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

No it's spring loaded inside the valve body so the cable will pop back as well.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Why don't you get a 52mm TB from a 3.0 from a time prior to electronic transmissions?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

3.0L didn't use cables, they use a lever setup.

Honestly, not sure how you can mess swapping over cam arm assemblys, they aren't welded, its a bolt on affair, 5 mins tops and drinking a beer at the same time.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

boostaholic

the 52mm is not just bolted on the shaft,, it is peened on.. with some work with a file i was able to get the arm off.. however the slot on the arm for the shaft is smaller on the 46... buddy has a bridgeport, gonna bring it by and open up the hole... this however poses a new problem... attaching the arm/fixing it to the shaft... sure i can put a tac weld on it but would that flash of heat mess up any seals or anything like that or "or hey Jaren shut the heck up and weld the dam arm on already..." and be done with it...the shaft is going to be flush with the arm...

boostaholic

here is a thread with pics of the peened on 52 arm....

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...+throttle+body

i have already tried my first idea and thats not going to work due to not enough range of pull.. sooo i either have to find a tb with a bolt on style arm (which upon searching i have seen) fix my 46 arm to the 52 shaft or run the 46 tb...

Some are peened, some are bolted on from what I hear. All the ones I have or had are bolted on.