Thread: Porting exhaust manifold?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Porting exhaust manifold?

I got a good deal on a gently-used FM Enforcer turbo, and I thought to myself, "Self, what if you did some port work on the exhaust manifold to go with that turbo?" Has anybody taken a crack at opening things up on the exhaust side? Pictures would be awesome if you've got them. It's such an odd piece that I'm not sure where to start. The general consensus on SRTforums is that porting the compressor cover doesn't offer a whole lot of gain. I didn't see much about the exhaust manifold anywhere.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

Re: Porting exhaust manifold?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    I got a good deal on a gently-used FM Enforcer turbo, and I thought to myself, "Self, what if you did some port work on the exhaust manifold to go with that turbo?" Has anybody taken a crack at opening things up on the exhaust side? Pictures would be awesome if you've got them. It's such an odd piece that I'm not sure where to start. The general consensus on SRTforums is that porting the compressor cover doesn't offer a whole lot of gain. I didn't see much about the exhaust manifold anywhere.
    I'm surprised there isnt a sticky for this showing a well done port job on the stocker...I would also like to see this as well as I am sure many others

OTOH the ported units from FWDP/TU are reasonably priced...

turbo addict

For the time, money, tools, and effort, I just paid Matt to port me one. You have to go through TU to get a Matt ported one.

Hmm, I don't see any ported ones on either site. Even Modern Performance doesn't appear to have them, and they've got all the later stuff. Just to be clear, I'm talking about the SRT-4 turbofold housing. The Enforcer turbos that FM sells for those cars reuse the turbine housing you already have. I have a stock SRT-4 turbo in there now. Instant (and I mean instant) spool is nice, but she runs out of breath pretty quick.
    Jon J.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Honestly, T3-flanged log manifolds for these engines are available cheaply, it makes doing anything to enhance the stock turbo manifold's breathing ability to be a waste of time and money.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Honestly, T3-flanged log manifolds for these engines are available cheaply.
    Are they? I have a brand new Mopar Mexican unit before Mopar shut off ordering from the U.S.

Been hanging on to it for nothing?

Working on clearing the decks.

turbo addict

I still can't post link without getting 403 error. Anyways, AGP sell cast manifold for 2.4L

Porting exhaust manifold?

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Are they? I have a brand new Mopar Mexican unit before Mopar shut off ordering from the U.S.

Been hanging on to it for nothing?
    $150 for a T3 manifold with an integrated external watergate port. $350 for a name brand cast stainless one. I haven't seen a Mexican manifold for sale for a while. I have one of those too.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What Mike said. Do you have a stock turbo setup or ?

I had a Mexican one at some point but as usual, plans change.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

It's a stock SRT-4 setup right now. Stock turbofold, stock hot side pipe under the engine, stock intercooler up front. The only upgrade I've made so far is putting a 3" stainless "O2 housing" instead of the smaller, cast unit. At 18psi lugging around a heavy car, it is completely maxxed, and then some.

This is the turbo I just found, gently used, for pretty cheap: http://www.forwardmotioninc.com/html/catalog/page8.html It's the Enforcer 1 for the SRT-4. I have the means to port the compressor inlet if I wanted to make it an Enforcer 1-and-a-half.

I have substantial machining ability. I can do electrical work blindfolded. What I can't do is weld. Even if I were to pick up a T3 log manifold and a cheap turbo to bolt to it, I'd still have to mess with the exhaust, which involves randomly picking a local shop and paying full price for work that I have no idea whether I can trust or not. It sucks. This is why I went with the nice bolt-in Forward Motion turbo. The upgraded wheel is very close to a 15g wheel, which is what the Mopar Stage 3 turbo is. The jump in HP advertised on Forward Motion is pretty accurate from what I've read on some other forums. I'm not looking for monster power (if I was, why would I put it in a full-weight t-top Daytona?), but a 30hp jump using nothing but a set of sockets would be fun.
    Last edited by jonnymopar; 05-29-2015 at 08:29 PM.
    Jon J.

Mitsu booster

Give Mike at Forward Motion a call. He can steer you in the right direction.

Good Luck

It's a stock SRT-4 setup right now. Stock turbofold, stock hot side pipe under the engine, stock intercooler up front. The only upgrade I've made so far is putting a 3" stainless "O2 housing" instead of the smaller, cast unit. At 18psi lugging around a heavy car, it is completely maxxed, and then some.

This is the turbo I just found, gently used, for pretty cheap: http://www.forwardmotioninc.com/html/catalog/page8.html It's the Enforcer 1 for the SRT-4. I have the means to port the compressor inlet if I wanted to make it an Enforcer 1-and-a-half.

I have substantial machining ability. I can do electrical work blindfolded. What I can't do is weld. Even if I were to pick up a T3 log manifold and a cheap turbo to bolt to it, I'd still have to mess with the exhaust, which involves randomly picking a local shop and paying full price for work that I have no idea whether I can trust or not. It sucks. This is why I went with the nice bolt-in Forward Motion turbo. The upgraded wheel is very close to a 15g wheel, which is what the Mopar Stage 3 turbo is. The jump in HP advertised on Forward Motion is pretty accurate from what I've read on some other forums. I'm not looking for monster power (if I was, why would I put it in a full-weight t-top Daytona?), but a 30hp jump using nothing but a set of sockets would be fun.

I have the E1 turbo on my SRT-4. It's a nice upgrade if you want to keep things simple. In hindsight, I may have gone the other route.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I have the E1 turbo on my SRT-4. It's a nice upgrade if you want to keep things simple. In hindsight, I may have gone the other route.
    Any other modifications to support it, or did you just bolt it in?
    Jon J.

Hybrid booster

If you have a chance, here are several images of ported stock housings and manifolds.
    I've been temped to port some units and take them to the band saw to show how much farther these can be taken of the typical port work.
    If its done well, the turns from the manifold to the turbine housing should be ported well into the turbo mounting stud holes.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/ph...mpare1&cat=933

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

ThaT doesn't result in a leak? ..

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Any other modifications to support it, or did you just bolt it in?
    I have the Mopar stage 2, which runs rich enough to support it. I'd really need a custom tune to reap the benefits of the turbo.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    ThaT doesn't result in a leak? .. Mike
    Not at all.
    The issue is that the turn is left up to the manifold which makes the short side excessively tight and extremely poor for flow.
    Blending the turn radius between the manifold and the turbine housing does two things, with an added bonus for WG flow.
    It vastly increases the short side radius which significantly increases flow and supports a significantly wider turbine entrance which moves the convergence point farther into the scroll.
    Both increase overall flow while moving the exhaust gas velocity acceleration point closer to the scroll... where it belongs.
    This additionally aids/promotes flow through the WG due to the larger area and slower gas flow prior to the scroll entrance.

On a side note:
    There are those that argue that a header is needed to support high horsepower but that's not because of increased tuning pulse amplitude, as realized on NA applications.
    There is so much back-pressure realized on turbo applications that the tuning pulses significance is greatly reduced.
    Then why do headers work?
    They support exactly what has been described in the upstream explanation - velocity decrease in the manifold, increased flow through the WG and velocity gains at the scroll... where it belongs.
    Unfortunately, this is why so many shy from the production manifolds - they simply aren't taken far enough.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Great info like that makes me want to bust out the tools and get to work!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?