Thread: C/d archive: 84 daytona vs. All

Hybrid booster
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: C/d archive: 84 daytona vs. All

Although the Daytona wasn't the best of the bunch in C&D's eyes (in my eyes it was the best of the bunch), It was the first year of the Daytona up against cars that was in production for many years with bigger tires and more development. In 85 the Daytona got 205/60-15 tires. In 86 the C/S package came along. And in latter year's the dual pivot control arms/K frame came along. Thanks for posting
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

turbo addict

"What in the name of all that's holy where the rubber meets the road could the Dodge Daytona with its front-wheel drive and its pissant 2.2 liters of engine displacement hope to do against the true monsters of the macadam? We're glad you asked that question, and we're thanking our lucky stars that we did."

Garrett booster

Nice article! Wish my seats still looked like those!!

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I was just reading that.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

This image shows how badly the camber needs to be adjusted. You reverse that setup and put -1.5 in the front and -1.0 in the rear and they become a whole new animal in the corners. I've driven a Gbody with the camber set right on 185/70 R14 generic snow tires through sweeping bumpy corners at 105+ hard on the gas that my GLHT with stock alignment and 205/50 15's could barely take at 80-85 steady state. We put a set of 225/50 15 Dunlop SP8000's and limits became so high you couldn't find them on the street anymore.

Even Subie WRX's suffer from this. People whine about the understeer in them, blame it on the AWD but then you take one look at them and they have less negative camber in the front than they do in the back and to me it's obvious why they understeer.

I would die for the air fences and steering wheel in new condition like that though.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post

I would die for the air fences and steering wheel in new condition like that though.
    We need to find Stewie Griffin some titanium capacitors
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    . I would die for the air fences and steering wheel in new condition like that though.
    Jay there was a time not all that long ago I had a NOS set tucked away in my garage attic. I advertised them for like a year before they sold. All I wanted was what I paid for them like 20-25 years ago. IIRC $125 for the pair. I think I sold them for that shipped.
    Todd

Mitsu booster

This Car and Driver handling test and the 1984 Motor Trend Car of the Year issue where they called the Z a "Stunning Overachiever" are my two favorites.
    When I talk to people at shows they are always surprised by just how well these cars performed and handled compared to the competition. Chrysler designed these cars to meet or exceed their V8, RWD competition.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I like to tell all of my Ford & GM loving buddies that they have Chrysler to thank for their high hp V-8's. They like to give me stupid looks and tell me: "Why? Back then Chrysler was all about FWD & 4 cylinders"... To which I answer: Those 4 cylinders came out and proceeded to kick the V-8's @sses and embarrass the heck out of Ford & GM. They were forced to do something...

Between 84-86, the best handling & best performing cars weren't Camaros & Mustangs, they were Shelby Chargers, GLH's & Daytonas...

Hybrid booster

I agree with the alignment specs, that's what I run on my 87 Z as well as my other rides and wow does it grip good, even with the only type of tires made in the 225/50/15 size which are kumho all seasons. When I was a kid a guy in my dads neighborhood had a all black 85 turbo z, and damn did it catch my attention every time it went buy, loved the sound and how low it looked with the fences.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor Lee'sdaytona's Avatar

On the air fences....Was that a 1984 only thing? My 86 doesn't have them, and I was at a yard recently with an 84 that had them. I thought about pulling them off, but it seemed like more trouble than it was worth at the time on that very hot day with the tall weeds, and I didn't even know if the 86 was even supposed to have them?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

'84-'86 Turbo Zs all had them, although it was very common for dealers to remove them at the request of the original owners.