Thread: Gauge's in mp scan

Garrett booster

Gauge's in mp scan

I am trying to find the gauge that measures the timing, is there such a gauge ?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Gauge's in mp scan

There's not a 'guage' specific for timing. But, you can log the spark advance. I think the short name is just 'ADV'.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    There's not a 'guage' specific for timing. But, you can log the spark advance. I think the short name is just 'ADV'.

what would the difference be between spark advance and total timing ?

thanks for the reply Rob

Quote Originally Posted by 2POINT5TURBO View Post
    what would the difference be between spark advance and total timing ?

thanks for the reply Rob
    None.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

None.

So the base timing is already included in the spark advance reading, awesome!

thanks again Rob, do you still have the usb to diagnostic connector available.

Quote Originally Posted by 2POINT5TURBO View Post
    So the base timing is already included in the spark advance reading, awesome!

thanks again Rob, do you still have the usb to diagnostic connector available.
    There's no such thing as base timing. 12deg is just the advance the ecu uses when you manually set the sync between the crank and distributor. Timing advance is always referenced to TDC.

I'm out of built up cables. But I have parts to build several more. Just haven't got back around to it yet.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Okay thanks, I have one already but wanted to purchase one more.

Garrett booster

There's no such thing as base timing. 12deg is just the advance the ecu uses when you manually set the sync between the crank and distributor. Timing advance is always referenced to TDC.

I'm out of built up cables. But I have parts to build several more. Just haven't got back around to it yet.

Thanks for helping me out here Rob its super appreciated, I hve more questions for you tho ! LOL ! I mean I got the ECU programming guru answering me !!

I noticed in the gauge tab there is two greyed out options one for AFR and one for Wideband. Is there any way that I can have these made available as I would like to monitor my Wideband ---- what an awesome program!

Thanks

Nick

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

the afr option was an attempt at one time to calculate the afr ratio based off of the injector pulsewidth and map readings. i could never get it to give a reliable number. the wideband was a "wish list" item where i was going to incorporate the ability to read a 3rd party wideband data stream and read it into an mpscan gauge. i had planned on using my lc1 but ended up putting it in my camaro instead so never did anything more with it. i did get a ngk that i'm going to switch out with the lc1 so maybe in the future i'll revisit this.

a very workable alternative is to use the wideband in place of your narrowband which would allow you to read the afr. rob and others could help you set that up. do a search. there have been some very recent posts on individuals using that option.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    a very workable alternative is to use the wideband in place of your narrowband which would allow you to read the afr. rob and others could help you set that up. do a search. there have been some very recent posts on individuals using that option.
    ^ this. I just went through getting my AEM setup and it works like a charm. The only thing I'll say is that the gauge in MPSCAN may not show exactly what the WB gauge shows due to the gauge display rate ( and that can be changed in MPSCAN ) . In my experience the WB gauge itself is faster. I haven't been bothered by it enough to try and fiddle with it.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    the afr option was an attempt at one time to calculate the afr ratio based off of the injector pulsewidth and map readings. i could never get it to give a reliable number. the wideband was a "wish list" item where i was going to incorporate the ability to read a 3rd party wideband data stream and read it into an mpscan gauge. i had planned on using my lc1 but ended up putting it in my camaro instead so never did anything more with it. i did get a ngk that i'm going to switch out with the lc1 so maybe in the future i'll revisit this.

Quote Originally Posted by player1up View Post
    ^ this. I just went through getting my AEM setup and it works like a charm. The only thing I'll say is that the gauge in MPSCAN
    may not show exactly what the WB gauge shows due to the gauge display rate ( and that can be changed in MPSCAN ) . In my experience the WB gauge itself is faster. I haven't been bothered by it enough to try and fiddle with it.

Thanks for the reply's so I have decided that the best route for the time being is to keep the narrow band and use it along side with the wide band and if they are both consistent with each other I will delete the narrow band all together and run the analog signal from the wideband to the ecu.

I will be putting mpscan to work next weekend most likely and I will give you all an update.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

^ this. I just went through getting my AEM setup and it works like a charm. The only thing I'll say is that the gauge in MPSCAN may not show exactly what the WB gauge shows due to the gauge display rate ( and that can be changed in MPSCAN ) . In my experience the WB gauge itself is faster. I haven't been bothered by it enough to try and fiddle with it.
    if you want the fastest response rate limit your gauges to the basics, eg. afr, rpm, tps, map and set the logging rate to something like 2 ms. mpscan will basically log as fast as it can and those 4 gauges can be used nicely in mptune to work on your peftbl. just remember that the log file size will grow rapidly so you probably only want to use that rate when doing some WOT runs and then saving the log file after each. for general use i'ld leave it at around 100 to 250 ms. the display rate and logging rate are run on 2 separate threads so a slower display rate shouldn't affect the logging rate much.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)