Thread: Warranty fulfillment, rock auto vs. local stores

turbo addict

Warranty fulfillment, rock auto vs. local stores

I am in the market for a fuel pump. Its $204 shipped at rock auto, or $236 shipped at pep boys.

Both have limited lifetime warranties.

I have a feeling that if I ever need to use that warranty, its much more likely to go smoothly, quickly, and easily, by bringing my bad pump into a local store (pep boys), verus mailing it back to a manufacturer and letting them take their time and decide if they want to do the exchange or not. Plus I bet I'll end up having to pay shipping both ways in that case.

Thoughts??

turbo addict

Re: Warranty fulfillment, rock auto vs. local stores

I use DeatschWerks fuel pumps, E85 compatible, 3 year no fault warranty, and I can buy directly from the manufacture, so no fake fuel pumps. I use DW300 for my Omni and DW200 for my Volvo.

http://www.deatschwerks.com/products/fuel-pumps

Follow AJ's installation.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...and-non-L-body

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Sometimes its better to buy locally, but if you're paying double then that's a no brainer. If we are talking $20, then buy locally as you said, warranty will be a lot easier.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

thanks guys..looks like pep boys just added a 40% coupon code, making their price even cheaper than rock auto!! so my decision is made for me lol

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

FWIW I had to warranty a speed sensor through rock auto. It was super easy and I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from them based off of warranty concerns.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    FWIW I had to warranty a speed sensor through rock auto. It was super easy and I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from them based off of warranty concerns.
    how did the shipping work out?

Hybrid booster

I bought a fuel pump from them that I wasn't too happy with. The gauge didn't read right and the check valve leaked down causing long cranking time in the morning. To warranty it they wanted me to pull the fuel pump and send it back before they would send a new one... that would've put me down a car for days and I couldn't do that. The check valve thing kinda went away and I lived with the gauge until I sold the car.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    how did the shipping work out?
    It's been a while, but I think they just shipped me a new one.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    I bought a fuel pump from them that I wasn't too happy with. The gauge didn't read right and the check valve leaked down causing long cranking time in the morning. To warranty it they wanted me to pull the fuel pump and send it back before they would send a new one... that would've put me down a car for days and I couldn't do that. The check valve thing kinda went away and I lived with the gauge until I sold the car.
    That is the problem if you have only one car or no backup to drive. That makes it a no brainer to go local. If you have a backup vehicle and waiting isn't an issue, there you go. Asa, I'm with you on going with Manny, Moe & Jack with the coupon.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

update: ordered the pump from pep boys. $200 out the door, plus probably about 8$ in rewards points...best price on earth for that pump new with a warranty...

something I've noticed is that pep boys consistently comes through on prices, beating even autozone. And they finally updated their website to actually have parts on it lol....they are in it to win it for reallys now

but I'm sure a rockauto purchase is in my future at some point. They seem to have odd OEM parts that aren't at the local stores, plus big selections. So that puts them in the league with ebay for hard to get stuff. But I think rockauto beats ebay as far as actual warranty process..I know some ebay sellers say they have warranties but that seems like a real stretch, especially years down the road..