Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to build a respectively fast minivan! w/pics and videos!

Garrett booster

Re: How to build a respectively fast minivan! w/pics and videos!

Quote Originally Posted by Ubmbass View Post
    One of these track days, I'll tow the Omni to the track with the van and I'll need a driver for one of the two, perhaps you can take the wheel?

Corby
    Corby I'll more than gladly drive either one anytime you need!But just a heads up, I do have a history of getting the fastest times in other people's vehicles! I still hold the best time in my Dad's but now Matt's Roadrunner. Hopefully that won't change your mind as it'd still be your car your knowledge and work that made it go fast! But anytime you go to the track, even with just the Hoopty. Let me know! I'd love to see it run! I've never seen it run yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post

I think I've always pushed people in the direction of raising their expectations and not confusing their own lack of success with actual limitations of the parts when simple math proves otherwise.

How many people would have told you you couldn't run 10s with a 4cyl @ 12psi? How many of them would've been wrong? All of them. Is that negativity? I think embracing that as a possibility is exciting, just like knowing people ran 13.9 with stock drivetrain is exciting even though people with upgrades are out there running 15.2 all the time and telling people how hard it is to go any faster.
    Yeah 10's on 12psi makes you really wonder what's possible when the car should easily handle a LOT more boost ....

Hybrid booster

When I ran the 10.5 on 12.8 psi, I dynoed it shortly after and managed 308hp/312tq up here, uncorrected. After some timing adjustments and a bit more boost, it made 553hp/502tq I'm excited to see if it will hook up at the track this year. But, I refuse to take it to the track until the van is ready so I can tow it. I think it would be awesome to have a quick van hauling a quick Omni, then tow it home haha!

Corby

Oh, btw, I have been out of town this past week so I haven't had any chance to run to the machine shop to pick up the short block. Hopefully it's done, I'll take pics and let all of you guys know when it's ready. Thanks for all the followings!

Garrett booster

When I ran the 10.5 on 12.8 psi, I dynoed it shortly after and managed 308hp/312tq up here, uncorrected. After some timing adjustments and a bit more boost, it made 553hp/502tq I'm excited to see if it will hook up at the track this year. But, I refuse to take it to the track until the van is ready so I can tow it. I think it would be awesome to have a quick van hauling a quick Omni, then tow it home haha!

Corby

Oh, btw, I have been out of town this past week so I haven't had any chance to run to the machine shop to pick up the short block. Hopefully it's done, I'll take pics and let all of you guys know when it's ready. Thanks for all the followings!

Dang.... so 245 whp more than when you ran a 10.5... 9's shouldn't be even trying too hard!!! And alright I guess I can wait for when you have the van done! That would be way awesome to have both the van and the Omni running and get them lined up once too.

Hybrid booster

Yes, it's going to be a lot of fun, hopefully you can make it to the track when I bring them down. I'll be posting in this thread when it happens!

Corby

turbo addict

After some timing adjustments and a bit more boost, it made 553hp/502tq
    Isn't this some kind of new record for our cars? There are a few claiming more due to track times (which deserves every bit of respect as a dyno pull), but none that come off the top of my head that put these numbers to the wheels. Do a video, pictures exist of that run or session?

Garrett booster

Yes, it's going to be a lot of fun, hopefully you can make it to the track when I bring them down. I'll be posting in this thread when it happens!

Corby
    Well I'll make sure to follow this closely!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Isn't this some kind of new record for our cars? There are a few claiming more due to track times (which deserves every bit of respect as a dyno pull), but none that come off the top of my head that put these numbers to the wheels. Do a video, pictures exist of that run or session?
    my brain literally did not absorb whatever it was I read in the previous posts about 10.5 on 12.8psi and 550 something horsepower...I am just assuming there is something I must be missing about all this like hes talking about a turbo V8 or some other non 2.2/2.5 engine...right???? otherwise where is the trophy and how do we get it to him

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    my brain literally did not absorb whatever it was I read in the previous posts about 10.5 on 12.8psi and 550 something horsepower...I am just assuming there is something I must be missing about all this like hes talking about a turbo V8 or some other non 2.2/2.5 engine...right???? otherwise where is the trophy and how do we get it to him
    Really, the secret is in the head flow and proper turbo sizing, rpm and power to weight. I *only* made 308hp on 12.8 psi, the real fun started around 22 psi. Now, I haven't made a trip to the track with the new power, but it's sure to be a hand full. On the street, it's completely useless in any gear at just about any speed. There is a video of the dyno pass and I have the dyno sheet, I'll see if I can scan it and post it up. I don't think it's any sort of record or anything like that, but it's finally making some power.

This thread isn't about the hoopty, lets keep it on topic.

Corby

Hybrid booster

Well, it's been quite a while since I took the short block to the machine shop, it's BACK!!! yay!

Here's a shot of it right after I got it home and put it on the stand for assembly:

Those fresh cross hatches are a thing of beauty!

Nothing like a freshly built short block to make you day better!

You can see those beautiful Forged Venolia slugs hiding in there

Hybrid booster

I don't have everything quite yet to fully assemble the engine, but I do have a severely ported head that came off a ten second charger, and some studs.

Head looks new! Thanks to the great work at a local machine shop!

After I put the studs in, I figured the block needed some fresh paint. so I sprayed it down and set the head in place.

Next thing we have to do is prepare the engine bay to receive the engine and transmission.

If you remember when we first started this build, I took all of the wires out of the van to thin it out a bit. I removed all the wires that aren't going to be used then placed the harness in the engine bay to see what I have to deal with. As you can see, there are a LOT of wires in this harness.

Here's the driver's side harness, you can see it's partially disassembled as I wanted to take the time to put everything where I want it, not necessarily where Dodge wanted to put it.

This might seem a little strange, but I hated the way the wire bundle looks when it's running along the top of the fire wall, to me it just looks a little cluttered, so I decided to place it in the cowl. Be warned, it took some planning to get the wires to clear the operations of the windshield wiper assembly

To me, this just looks a lot better

There is still a little bit of sanitizing I want to do, but it's a start!

Here you can see how well it clears the wiper assembly.

Next up, more sanitizing and some installation of some missing parts. Stay tuned!

Special thanks to Cindy Lindsay for the great help with this project! It wouldn't be possible without her help!

Corby

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Looking good!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Might be the lighting in the shortblock pics or shadowing but what kind of piston to wall clearance are you running? Looks generous... IME Wisecos can be set up a little tighter that Venolias or J&E's and DEFINATELY are quieter when cold

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I'm guessing they measured the block deck and didn't see a reason to cut it?

Interesting stuff on the wire reroute.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

They have 5 thou clearance as per the directions Cindy at FWD gave me with the pistons.

Thanks for the comments guys! I am hoping this will look decent when I open the hood along with running some good track times!

Corby

Hybrid booster

I would like to refer everyone to the build page on FB, sorry for not updating this thread in a LONG time, but the format on FB is a little easier and I feel like it's a bit better than a forum.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1832...?ref=bookmarks

Thanks you guys!
    Corby

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12