Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to build a respectively fast minivan! w/pics and videos!

Hybrid booster

Thumbs up How to build a respectively fast minivan! w/pics and videos!

Welcome to my build thread! I have had a handful of fairly quick turbo dodges over the years, starting with Clifford (my record breaking 1989 Plymouth Voyager 12.26@108.97) then I have my Hoopty (1986 Dodge Omni GLH-Turbo 10.53@129.98 on 12.8 psi of boost) I have used this forum in search for answers several times and have found lots of information about how to move forward with my projects. Most of the time, I have taken ideas from this thread and that thread and made everything work for my particular situation. There haven’t been many all-inclusive build threads about how to build a fast turbo dodge. It's almost like the people that build fast TD's are holding back secrets that they don't want anyone else to know.

Well, this thread is going to document, with pretty good detail, exactly what I am going to do to make this van fast. I'm not sure how fast it will end up, but I am confident it will at least be deep in the 12's. I will update this thread consistently as I modify this van and you are welcome to voice your opinion on how we can change things to make it faster. I want this thread to be a resource for all of us to use in the future.

I will take pictures of everything I do and explain just how difficult it was and what you would need to do to create essentially the same van if you want. I will take it to the dyno and get some numbers after a certain amount of work gets done. So please, kick back and enjoy the fruits of my/our labor as we take this stock 1990 Dodge Caravan and make it scream!

This is what it looked like when I took the trip north to pick it up. it wasn't running due to a broken camshaft. The guy I bought it from claimed it ran 11's at one point (which is a lie) It has 3 inch exhaust with some odd looking muffler. Stock suspension and the interior has the carpet ripped out and currently has only the front and rear most seat installed. To my dismay, I replaced the head in the van only to find out that he bottom end has a rod knock and the turbo seals were blown, so I yanked the motor out and took it to the machine shop to get it fixed up.

Now, since we are all familiar with these engines and engine bays, you all know how cluttered and filthy they are after sitting for a few years. This one is no different. I wanted to see what we have to deal with before we get started so I assessed the current bay and as you can see in these pictures, it was bad.. SO many aftermarket wires strung about aimlessly.

I'm not sure what the previous owner had in mind when he started adding wires to the van, but man, it was bad. So, let's strip all of the wires out shall we?

There we go, much better, now we have a clean slate for the very minor wire tuck I have in mind for this project.

It's amazing how much better the engine bay looks when it's deprived of all of that cluster of wiring that Mopar decided they wanted to cram in there. Now that we have all of those pesky wires out of the way and the bay wiped down, let's throw on a coat of paint. I used flat white Rustoleum and it turned out pretty good, don’t you think?

Since the engine bay was cleaned up, I wanted to clean up and paint the grill and headlight bezels too. You can see the progress here.

I'm torn whether or not to black out the bumpers as well, this is something we will address a little later on.

I had an extra intercooler lying around that came off of my Focus ST project and wanted to see if I could make it fit on this van. It fits great! Now I am trying to figure out intercooler piping!

This intercooler has 2 tabs (one of each side) on the bottom of it that were perfect for bolting it down to the factory radiator support. I'm not 100% convinced I want to use this intercooler, I might go another route, but for now, it's mocked up for potential use.

I received my pistons from Cindy at FWD Performance to install in the short block that was sitting at the machine shop waiting for them, now they are being installed. Once I get the short block back,. I'll update with some more information in this thread. Here are some pictures of the pistons before I brought them to the machine shop. (click the images for more information about them, or click HERE)

I have had great luck with Venolia pistons in the past, so I stuck with them this time around. They are .040 over due to the block I had being a bit haggard. Check back frequently for updates, I'll be in here posting anything new that I do to the van.

Hope this helps

Corby

turbo addict

Re: How to build a respectively fast minivan! w/pics and videos!

What are you starting with for a drive line and what are you installing? Any chance you'll keep a tab of how much cash is put out to run in the 12's in a minivan?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Awesome, glad to see you back.

Will this be a daily driver or just a drag van? Gutting it or ? A/C?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Simon, this is going to be a weekend warrior, with the occasional street use.

shadow88, for now I'm running the stock transmission with a moderately built torque converter, when it goes, then I'll build it up. I will keep tabs on cost of everything, I will be posting links to everything I buy in this thread. And I want to try to give a scale of how difficult things are to do while I'm at it.

Corby

turbo addict

If you have the gumption and can remember throughout the build...include weights of things. We all know weight is the biggest enemy of performance of just about any kind (unless it's coasting down a long hill or sinking to the bottom of the ocean).

I'm trying to keep track with mine...honestly it's not easy! LOL

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    If you have the gumption and can remember throughout the build...include weights of things. We all know weight is the biggest enemy of performance of just about any kind (unless it's coasting down a long hill or sinking to the bottom of the ocean).

I'm trying to keep track with mine...honestly it's not easy! LOL
    I will try, there were already some bits missing from this van, but I will try to weight everything I take out from here on out.

Corby

Garrett booster

I'm stoked to see this build thread! Unfortunately Matt's van is sitting in our parent's backyard and I don't see it getting to the track anytime anywhere in the near future. But between this van, the omni, and your ST you've got some sweet cars going on!

Hybrid booster

One of these track days, I'll tow the Omni to the track with the van and I'll need a driver for one of the two, perhaps you can take the wheel?

Corby

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ubmbass View Post
    There haven’t been many all-inclusive build threads about how to build a fast turbo dodge. It's almost like the people that build fast TD's are holding back secrets that they don't want anyone else to know.
    Corby
    Really? I have followed the Fastest TD's out there for many years and, other than a very few who retain the right to not let the cat out of the bag the moment they change something, I have found most to be pretty transparent in their desire to share any and all info about their build.

I think that most don't dwell on the basic stuff, so if that's what you're talking about I can see that. The faster guys aren't there to hold your hand through the simple stuff, they are there to share the "to infinity and beyond" stuff. lol

Also, most of us are going to say something once, maybe twice, and rarely three times. IF you haven't accepted/ understood it by then, you probably never will. So we are Not going to beat a dead horse like others do over and over again.

Maybe This is the info you feel you are lacking?

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Really? I have followed the Fastest TD's out there for many years and, other than a very few who retain the right to not let the cat out of the bag the moment they change something, I have found most to be pretty transparent in their desire to share any and all info about their build.
    I had a running log on my website for some years detailing what I found on the Reliant, I welcomed all in the big end of the pool.

One reason I stopped posting on forums was people telling me how is easy it was to do (run 10's), which if so I think we would be flooded with 10 second cars by now. Was easier to shut the computer off and go about my business then be aggravated by those folks.

Gary

Working on clearing the decks.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

What are you going to run for side clearance on the Venolias?
    I just fired up my first rebuild using Venolias. .0045 side clearance and they're noisy for a few minutes until warm.

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech
    I had a running log on my website for some years detailing what I found on the Reliant, I welcomed all in the big end of the pool.

One reason I stopped posting on forums was people telling me how is easy it was to do (run 10's), which if so I think we would be flooded with 10 second cars by now. Was easier to shut the computer off and go about my business then be aggravated by those folks.

Gary
    That's like 12 sec Minivans, everyone says its so easy, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski
    What are you going to run for side clearance on the Venolias?
    I just fired up my first rebuild using Venolias. .0045 side clearance and they're noisy for a few minutes until warm.
    I set mine at .0035", I found what you set them at was too noisey.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman² View Post
    That's like 12 sec Minivans, everyone says its so easy, lol.
    THIS is exactly what I'm wanting to squash. There are too many people that think since there are a very small handful of 11-12 second vans out there, I would like to dispel the myth that it's easy to do. I just want to show a direction someone can use to help them build something fast. If you don't want to read this thread, and if there are so many more threads just like this one, perhaps you all can take the time to read them. Just keep this thread positive and on topic. If you have negative things to say, please keep them to yourself. Thanks guys!

Corby

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I think most of the negativity is actually coming from the other direction, where you have numerous people struggling to get very far into the 14s with a 300chp turbo in a 3200 lb vehicle and then telling other people it's such a hard road while Terry Ryan and Gus Mahon both ran 13.9 in vans that still had mitsu turbos and auto trannies and I never heard of them naysaying anyone else. One guy ran 12s on stock TII garrett in a lightened 2g van while others say 12s on a stock garrett van is impossible and that turbo-swapping a 2g van is hard.

I think I've always pushed people in the direction of raising their expectations and not confusing their own lack of success with actual limitations of the parts when simple math proves otherwise.

How many people would have told you you couldn't run 10s with a 4cyl @ 12psi? How many of them would've been wrong? All of them. Is that negativity? I think embracing that as a possibility is exciting, just like knowing people ran 13.9 with stock drivetrain is exciting even though people with upgrades are out there running 15.2 all the time and telling people how hard it is to go any faster.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Ubmbass View Post
    THIS is exactly what I'm wanting to squash. There are too many people that think since there are a very small handful of 11-12 second vans out there, I would like to dispel the myth that it's easy to do. I just want to show a direction someone can use to help them build something fast. If you don't want to read this thread, and if there are so many more threads just like this one, perhaps you all can take the time to read them. Just keep this thread positive and on topic. If you have negative things to say, please keep them to yourself. Thanks guys!

Corby
    I for one am very excited to see your build, I think detailed builds like this are great. You really cant make them too detailed, heck tell us what machine shop you went to and what it looked like inside, seriously, its all really fascinating. Alot of us are waiting around on parts or $$$ or just cant afford the time to do something this well so to be able to at least watch it go down is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I think most of the negativity is actually coming from the other direction, where you have numerous people struggling to get very far into the 14s with a 300chp turbo in a 3200 lb vehicle and then telling other people it's such a hard road while Terry Ryan and Gus Mahon both ran 13.9 in vans that still had mitsu turbos and auto trannies and I never heard of them naysaying anyone else. One guy ran 12s on stock TII garrett in a lightened 2g van while others say 12s on a stock garrett van is impossible and that turbo-swapping a 2g van is hard.
    Ask Terry and he'll tell you getting a van in the 12's or faster is not easy. He makes it look easy because that's what he does. I've had many talks with him, met him and he's an awesome guy but don't let how easy it seemed for him, the way it is for the mass's.

Of course a lightened van will go faster, look at a TII Omni, they can run in the 12's no problem. Corby ran a low 12 IIRC, melting his engine at half track.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I just found this thread, I like Mini's Like innovation and like those willing to share info So I'm in on this thread I don't have anything pertinent to add right now(heck, maybe never) But I'll follow your progress

Have we ever met Corby, at Mopars at the strip or something? My memory sux.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Subscribing

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Thought i subscribed the other day, but guess i got distracted.
    Always a fun to read about minivan build ups. Can't wait to see more.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

Subscribing! Looking forward to this. I agree it seems either vans run 12s or struggle to break 15s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast