Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 87 GLHS will not run. Code 26, please help!

Mitsu booster

Re: 87 GLHS will not run. Code 26, please help!

Thank you Todd. All parts were new except the power module. I swapped it out with one off the shelf that had worked when pulled. All other parts were new/nos parts. Assuming it is a power module, where would I source a new/re manufactured unit from? I will get the test light out and check things out tomorrow.

Mitsu booster

I broke out the test light today after work. The coil has power when cranking and upon start up. As soon as the light goes out, the engine dies. It does appear to be spark related. I hooked a jumper up directly from the battery to the coil. This caused the fuel pump to run constantly, and the test light to stay on constantly. The car however, would not start. It would not even catch with the coil hard wired. I would start it, then add the constant coil power, and the car would still die. Any ideas why the jumper to the coil would make the car not run? I would think that would be a fail safe way to keep spark.

Sounds like the coil works, but can you confirm the plugs are getting a spark and enough of a spark? I've seen instances where the coil worked, but the spark wasn't sufficient to keep the car running. Can you also confirm fuel is spraying from the injectors, like wet plugs or something?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flydelsolsi View Post
    I broke out the test light today after work. The coil has power when cranking and upon start up. As soon as the light goes out, the engine dies. It does appear to be spark related. I hooked a jumper up directly from the battery to the coil. This caused the fuel pump to run constantly, and the test light to stay on constantly. The car however, would not start. It would not even catch with the coil hard wired. I would start it, then add the constant coil power, and the car would still die. Any ideas why the jumper to the coil would make the car not run? I would think that would be a fail safe way to keep spark.

The way it is supposed to work, from the ASD relay, 12v is applied to one side of the coil (and fuel pump and injectors). The other side of the coil gets an interrupted ground supplied by the power module circuit, causing the coil to generate spark.

Are you sure you were putting the jumper on the correct coil terminal?

If not, as soon as the jumper went on to the wrong coil terminal, it should make the engine die. The fuel pump would still be energized since the 12v would feed it through the coil.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Code 26 has been set, you need to look at the injector circuit.

The car is telling you where to look.

Gary

Working on clearing the decks.

Hybrid booster

I'm going to agree with Gary here, he provided some valuable information on page #1 on what to verify and it doesn't sound like you've checked that yet.

Mitsu booster

I am not trying to be dense, but what am I missing. I reread everything twice. I did continuity tests on the LM and PM from pin to pin and found no issue. I then built a brand new injector harness and bought nos injectors and installed them. I ran grounding wires from the negative terminal to the injector harness ground. I swapped between three PMs and bought a nos LM and swapped that in. I should have replaced every component in the injector circuit, other than the main harness, which I checked. Not trying to be a pita, just trying to understand.

Hybrid booster

I've seen continuity tests "bite" people a lot. They need to be done properly to get good results. Just to insure you did the test right, make sure the connectors at both the PM and LM are unplugged, then check continuity on the wire from end to end. Make sure you are using a decent meter, and if it isn't auto ranging, make sure it's set right. Also, make sure the leads are in the right spots. Did you check for shorts to power or ground on the wire? Continuity could check perfect, but still have a short to power or ground. Continuity can also check perfect, but the wire may not be able to carry the amount of current it needs. For example, if your battery positive cable to your starter had all but one strand of wire broken, you would have a perfect continuity test, but no starter operation. That is on an exaggerated scale, but something similar could be happening to you. I have yet to look up a wire diagram for this circuit, but I can later and try to give some more info.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

1 strand of a stranded wire will cause a continuity test to look good, but won't support normal operation. Also, what about the ignition switch? Seems we have had a couple people have issues with them causing a similar condition, IIRC.

^^^^beat me to it....lol.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Mitsu booster

Thank you so much for this. I will trace the wires the best I can. I did not see any damage, but I will re-verify everything tomorrow.

On another note, I was able to get the car started and drivable by hooking a jumper from the positive terminal to the coil. That was a huge step forward, and I am very appreciative. I was able to drive the car outside, so now I will have better lighting to check everything out.

Mitsu booster

I rechecked continuity and everything was good. I then ran a jumper from the white pm to the white injector harness with no difference. I then ran a jumper from the violet/yellow LM to PM, and the car fired right up.

As a thank you to everyone who helped, please pm me your paypal name so I can express my gratitude.

Visually the wire looks good. I could find no damage so I fear that the wire is semi-broken inside. What is the best way to deal with this? I really dont want to cut up the harness, but dont know where the bad spot it. Is anyone making harnesses for our cars??

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Yea !!! Glad to hear you got it solved!

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Check the electrical connectors thread, should be some good sources for wire. I have used eagle day electric for colored automotive wire. Prices are great, quality of wire is great and they will get it to you pretty quick.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

No worries.

Gary

Working on clearing the decks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12