Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 87 GLHS will not run. Code 26, please help!

Mitsu booster

87 GLHS will not run. Code 26, please help!

Good afternoon,

I have an 87 GLHS that was last driven on the road in 2006. It ran while being in storage until 2 years ago. I now have some time to try to revive it.

The car will start and run for about a second, after which, it dies. If you press the accelerator down it will rev to about 3k rpms and die abruptly. I pulled the codes and got a 26 and 53. The car has a Relentless Logic Module, so I believe that accounts for the 53. I researched the 26 and know it is an issue with injectors 1 & 2. I checked the ground on the firewall and the ground on the fuel rail. Both appear to be tight. I checked the connections at the injector harness and the power module. Both appear to be without issue. I inspected the injector harness and it looked to be in good condition. I swapped the power module out for another I have on hand. Nothing helped.

Car had about 1/4 tank of non ethanol fuel in the tank, I put another 5 1/2 gallons of fresh 93 octane. This did nothing for the issue. The car idles fine for the second it runs. It quickly goes to 1,000 rpms and stays there solidly until it dies. No miss is detected. Fuel pump is a brand new Walbro replaced before it was parked, you can smell the fuel after attempting to start a few times. I am stumped. The car seems like it wants to run, but it shuts off abruptly like I turned the key off. It is strange.

Any help is super appreciated!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Re: 87 GLHS will not run. Code 26, please help!

Quote Originally Posted by flydelsolsi View Post
    I researched the 26 and know it is an issue with injectors 1 & 2.

Just went through this with my CSX-

The factory manual states the power module is bad but it can also be caused by an open circuit between the logic module and the power module on the driver for injectors one and two. You will have to get an ohm meter and check the injector wiring between the LM and the PM.

Also it could be something as simple as a pin that has been damaged by water in the LM connector.

Gary D.

Working on clearing the decks.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Did you pull the connectors OFF the injectors? I am willing to bet that water got in somewhere and you have corrosion. Barring that, with it sitting that long, its quite possible the injectors plugged/shorted themselves out, seen it before.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbo_glhs_3.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	54683

Pin 2 from LM red connector is 1-2 injector control (violet with yellow tracer) check to see that it is intact with an ohm meter to the PM (12 way connector at PM pin 2 still violet with yellow tracer.)

Also check from PM to the injector harness (PM 10 way connector white wire #5) to the white wire at injector harness. Make sure the connectors are in good condition at LM, PM, injector sub harness and injector to harness connections.

Make sure everything is unplugged when doing continuity tests.

A bad connection alone at the injector generally will not set code 26, I have disconnected injectors while the car was running without setting the code. Generally its a wiring issue between the LM and PM or a bad PM which you have already eliminated.

Gary Donovan

Mitsu booster

Thank you so much for both of your help! It is very much appreciated. I checked continuity on the violet/yellow and white wires. Both passed. I then cleaned those particular connections extra well and tried to tighten the connectors a bit. The car had the same issue and still displayed a code 26.

I did not pull the connectors off the injectors. #1 is not in a great spot, and I did not want to lose any of the clips. Wiring on the injector harness looked good. How tough is it to swap injectors with a 2 piece manifold on the car? I've only done it with the manifold off the car in the past.

Any ideas on what would be next? Thanks again.

Disconnect the fuel lines, injector harness connector and four bolts holding injector rail. You should be able to pull rail to the rear and then over to the passenger side and rotate out. If checking the injectors they should ohm out 2.4 to 2.6 ohms.

Mitsu booster

These injectors are original to the car. If it is looking like this issue is a result of an injector issue, would I be better off getting a pack of 804 injectors and switching them out at once? I believe the LM was a stage 3 and supposedly good for 16ish psi on stock injectors.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

These injectors are original to the car. If it is looking like this issue is a result of an injector issue, would I be better off getting a pack of 804 injectors and switching them out at once? I believe the LM was a stage 3 and supposedly good for 16ish psi on stock injectors.
    Without the correct cal, bigger injectors will run rich so you're better off to buy the stock ones.

+2 to what Gary said on removing the fuel rail. I also found removing the FPR sometimes helped, 2 8mm nuts hold it on, DON'T lose them, lol.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

Thank you for your help! I will work on the injectors next and post my results.

Mitsu booster

As an update to this, I have tried a few other things while I cobble together the necessary parts to update the fuel system. I have swapped logic modules, replaced the negative battery terminal, and ran a jumper from the negative terminal to the fuel rail ground. None of these have solved the issue. I am still moving forward with the injectors and harness. I will update this as I make progress.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

If you have not tested the injectors, that is the next place to go.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Mitsu booster

I have owned the car for 16 years, and will likely own it forever. Over the past 16 years, I've down relatively little to it. I figure I am now just paying the piper. The plan is to swap the fuel rail, fpr, and injectors out. I have a new set of 804's ready to go. I am also building a new injector harness which is what is taking so much time. I have sourced the plugs, wire, and pins. I am only waiting for everything to come in so I can start piecing it together.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I have made injector harnesses for a few people due to age and broken insulation. That just might be your issue. Good luck.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Mitsu booster

To bring this back from the dead as an update, I have had no luck. I replaced:

Power Module
    Logic Module
    Injectors
    Injector harness
    Coil
    Negative battery terminal, and grounded fuel rail
    Verified Continuity in the harness

Any other ideas? I am out... Spring has again re-invigorated me on the project.

Hybrid booster

I know you don't have the code for it but If you have another pick up coil, I would swap it in just for giggles.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    I know you don't have the code for it but If you have another pick up coil, I would swap it in just for giggles.
    Thank you for reminding me, I did replace this as well. It's baffling, since I've replaced or checked every part in the system.

Hybrid booster

Thank you for reminding me, I did replace this as well. It's baffling, since I've replaced or checked every part in the system.
    Do you have a fuel pressure gage to verify pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    Do you have a fuel pressure gage to verify pressure?
    Yeah, spark, fuel, air and compression. Find the one you're missing and go from there.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Mitsu booster

Yes, I hooked a fuel pressure gauge up with the new fuel rail, and it had normal pressure. I grounded out the wires, to verify spark. Car has a new air filter element as well. It will run for a few seconds, rev up to about 3k rpms and cut out and die. I all signs point to having air/fuel/spark/compression. For some reason the electronics are forcing the engine to shut down, but I can't figure out what is doing it. It refuses to run.

turbo addict

Sounds like ASD relay is shutting off power to coil (probably fuel pump too). On LM vehicles, ASD is inside PM. As Joey stated previously, if the LM received no signal from HEP that vehicle is running, it will shut off ASD relay. I would hook a test light to coil and or fuel pump and find out if it is losing power when vehicle dies. You could also use a jumper wire to power up coil and/or fuel pump and see if vehicle stays running.
    So when you changed all the stuff you changed were you using new, used, re-manned, or known good used parts?
    Todd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast