Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A/C System diagnosis

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Re: A/C System diagnosis

Did you use pag oil or mineral oil when you did the work?
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

I understand most are just trying to help with some of these questions, but I'm not some uneducated person who buys the quick re-fill cans that come with the charging hose attached and no gauge. I did my research and did things "right" with all the proper oil and refrigerant. Changed the drier/accumulator, used a vacuum pump and manifold(with gauges) to properly evacuate, and then charge, the system. I just had a question about the system pressures and what could be causing it that didn't match up with any of the "charts" I found online for troubleshooting.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Diagnosing is hard, I'd change out the expansion valve and retry it. I've had bad new/used compressors make me pull my hair out.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

It has not been the recent experience with the van's a/c, but i have heard there is a screen or tiny strainer before the TXV. If that is plugged up, not sure if it would manifest how you observed your gauges.
    I saw no such strainer on the 89 parts van i took the original a/c off, or on the 93 van which i got the stock R134a system off of.

I might have missed the response, but did you try cleaning the condenser?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

High side high, to me sounds like poor airflow past the condenser or a condenser just not up to par. Do you have any way to measure the heat difference from inlet to outlet of condenser?

Hybrid booster

Another thing to note: I would consider your low side low if it is 30 psi and normal is 40. May look at charts for low/low high/high.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    I understand most are just trying to help with some of these questions, but I'm not some uneducated person who buys the quick re-fill cans that come with the charging hose attached and no gauge. I did my research and did things "right" with all the proper oil and refrigerant. Changed the drier/accumulator, used a vacuum pump and manifold(with gauges) to properly evacuate, and then charge, the system. I just had a question about the system pressures and what could be causing it that didn't match up with any of the "charts" I found online for troubleshooting.
    Well, next time give us all of that so people don't have to ask and you get annoyed. You tend to sound less like an engineer and more like a human being when you do that.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

The last bit of advice i can offer is you may have too much charge. If AJ said the conversion should require 24oz and you put in 32oz to try to get 30psi suction press, you just might have put in too much.
    And since you researched and know how to do all this I'm sure you charged and checked pressure with fan on high and max a/c? What were your dash vent outlet temps? The compressor should stay running and not cycle off. Keep your doors open.

If there is no air or moisture in the system and your high side is too high, then it is either poor condensing or you are overcharged. Or, in the recharge if you added more oil, you may now have too much oil in the system.
    Again, i hope you get it sorted out. Let us know what you find that fixes it. Someone else will be in the same boat eventually.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

Sorry for assuming people would just help with initial question and not ask about if I made sure to charge it on a full moon with the car parked facing into the wind while playing ac/DC on the radio. Csuzethst what it seems like. With the info I did provide I thoughtnit would be a safe indication that I'm not some random guy who is doing this for the first time.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    Sorry for assuming people would just help with initial question and not ask about if I made sure to charge it on a full moon with the car parked facing into the wind while playing ac/DC on the radio. Csuzethst what it seems like. With the info I did provide I thoughtnit would be a safe indication that I'm not some random guy who is doing this for the first time.
    I'm a random first time guy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12