Thread: 1988 Chrysler Town & Country trans slipping.

Mitsu booster

1988 Chrysler Town & Country trans slipping.

I have a 1988 Chrysler Town & Country 2.5lt. Automatic.
    When starting from a stop the trans slips and gives a shudder going into second gear.
    According to the FSM the problem is the overrunning or rear clutch.
    How difficult is this to repair for someone with no trans experience?
    Will the FSM be enough to rebuild it or are there other manuals to get?
    I see there are some specific tools needed. Which tools are a must have to do the job?
    Where should I get the rebuild kit? The car will remain stock.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

I have trouble posting on here. Most of the time I have to press the keys several times for the letter to appear on the screen.
    This is the only forum that does this for me. Not criticizing, it makes for some painfully long typing and was wondering why this is the only forum where I have this problem.

Thanks.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: 1988 Chrysler Town & Country trans slipping.

The 3 speed is really nothing to be scared of if you can follow the service manual or ATSG manual which is the service manual section copied into its own book with updated information and some helpful tips and part numbers.

A set of feeler gauges for clutch clearances, something to compress the spring in the direct (front) clutch to take it apart for seal replacement (the miller tool can be found on ebay very cheaply) , a dial indicator and base for measuring input end play and something to pull the pump out of the case and a pair of lock ring pliers are the only essentials I can think of besides the usual mechanics tool spread.

Avoid the no name white box kits. Raybestos or Alto are both good brands of clutch plates. Also the cheaper kits will not come with either a front band or the sprag rollers and springs, both items that should be replaced in any build.

Most of those specialty tools are for getting into the unit when doing bearing and/or hard part replacement. For a clutch and seal overhaul you don't need them.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Mitsu booster

Re: 1988 Chrysler Town & Country trans slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    The 3 speed is really nothing to be scared of if you can follow the service manual or ATSG manual which is the service manual section copied into its own book with updated information and some helpful tips and part numbers.

A set of feeler gauges for clutch clearances, something to compress the spring in the direct (front) clutch to take it apart for seal replacement (the miller tool can be found on ebay very cheaply) , a dial indicator and base for measuring input end play and something to pull the pump out of the case and a pair of lock ring pliers are the only essentials I can think of besides the usual mechanics tool spread.

Avoid the no name white box kits. Raybestos or Alto are both good brands of clutch plates. Also the cheaper kits will not come with either a front band or the sprag rollers and springs, both items that should be replaced in any build.

Most of those specialty tools are for getting into the unit when doing bearing and/or hard part replacement. For a clutch and seal overhaul you don't need them.
    Thanks for the info. What does ATSG stand for and where can I get the manual?
    I have the 3 volume FSM, is it worth getting the ATSG manual for a first time trans rebuild attempt?
    The only two things I haven't taken apart on any car is the transmission and the rear end so I figured this is the time to learn on this car.
    Thanks.