Thread: 1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby

Garrett booster

1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby

Date: 01st May 2015
    Username: kpic
    Full Name: Keith P.
    City, State, Zip: Williamstown, New Jersey, 08094
    Selling or Wanted Price: $2,950

Description: I have owned it for 11 years, always been garaged since I’ve had it (I’m third owner), in 2009 I was hit with a major medical issue that (luckily) was resolved in 2014 but during that time (almost 5 yrs) the car was very rarely driven, I would start it every so often and maybe take it around the block but it was rarely used.
    It has aprox. 107,xxx miles on it (TMU because the odometer stopped working a few years ago) it can’t be more than a few hundred miles more than that as I haven’t driven it much since then due to the issues I’ve noted below.

Suspension: BFG G Force TA\KD (205\55\16) tires. I had the wheels sent out & professionally cleaned & polished in 2007 they look good in photos but they will need some hand cleaning up to be perfect. Koni adjustable struts\shocks in 2008 so just a few miles on them, I did the rear springs at the same time.

Trans: Centerforce dual friction clutch & short throw shifter w\bushings (both by previous owner)

Induction: Forward Motion Enforcer 2 turbo (done by previous owner, I don’t have the exact specs on the turbo & the VNT is gone (I asked for it when I bought it from him)) & Turbo XS BOV in lower I\C pipe, the I\C is stock, have manual boost controller installed (Perrin), K&N filter

Fuel: +20 injectors, Accufab AFPR, & Walbro HI vol. fuel pump.

Engine: Stock except Taft S2 camshaft.

Exhaust: 3 inches all the way from swingvalve (which is 2.5) to back, 3” downpipe, the muffler is Dynomax Ultraflow w\chrome dual outlet tips & it has a 3” cat converter as well (pretty sure it is Magnaflow)

Interior: See pics, leather still nice, no rips, tears etc. (there is a small aprox. 1 inch tear in the armrest - you can see it in the pics), Phantom Boost & A\F gauges in the pods as shown.
    Computer: Boost Button +20 setup, I had a +40 setup but thought the rich condition (noted blow) might have something to do with the CAL so I got a +20 flashed on the computer that’s in the car now (w\new +20 injectors)

Body: See pics, previous owner had it repainted, I put the new “Shelby” decals from Positive Impressions on it, I have the silver “strobe” stripes but did not put them on.

The major issues:
    It has a “rich” condition that I haven’t been able to track down (the plugs are black), got codes 21,52 & 37 (37 is from the custom CAL, the 21 & 52 are “rich” codes) I had the CAL changed from a +40 to +20 in
    November , I also replaced the 3Bar MAP, O2 sensor, Coolant Temp & Baro sensor
    but has not resolve it. If I had a stock CAL I would try that but I don’t.

This just started the last time I drove it out & about January because of the rich condition I didn’t want to drive it out too far, it stalled on me (restarted fine) but now
    It will start idle fine for a while and when it goes down to a lower idle it will just stall out, the only way to keep it idle is to turn the adjustment screw to raise idle a bit (to about 1300 rpm or so). I have replaced the AIS & fuel filter (it was clear) & HEP from spare w\no change, think it might be the old gas needing draining (or fuel pump?), if you “give” it some gas pedal it revs up smoothly.
    The clutch throw-out bearing needs replacing, you can hear it rattle unless you push in the clutch then the rattle noise will go away, it has a very low whine every so often.

Other issues:
    The rear hatch strut(s) need to be replaced

The pop up light module needs fixing (I’ve replaced it before and it works fine for a while but last time I tried it the lights did not come up – never been an issue w\me because I’ve never driven it at night)

The sunroof (see pics) has the corner plastic cracking (no idea if it leaks or not because I’ve never had it out in inclement weather)

Headliner (see pics) needs to be re-secured (it’s loose from headboard)

The odometer does not work (stuck at 107,xxx), this happened when I was driving it out and I pushed in the reset button it just stopped from then on (common, it’s the little gears in there)

The driver side front tire loses air (will be flat in about three weeks or so)

The driver side axle seal will need replacing

Finally:
    So overall this is a very nice example and I’ve loved having it & will be sorry to see it go. I have tried to include everything in detail but may have missed something so contact me if you have questions. I think it just needs more than I can give it now or in the foreseeable future (both time & $$$), it deserves to go to someone who can take care of these things and get it running right. The asking price is of course negotiable (up or down) but I’m not going to give it away, I had an idea of what to ask for it before it had the stalling issue but of course have taken that into account. Be aware that you will need to trailer this home, I wouldn’t trust it completely to get me home on its own due to the stalling.

More pics at: http://kepico.weebly.com

I do have the factory service manuals

Last edited by kpic; 05-14-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Garrett booster

Re: 1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby

A quick walk-around video - disregard the messy garage - but you can see where idle needs to be to keep running.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9w...ew?usp=sharing

If you are concerned at all with feedback, here is my Ebay ID; (if link does not work my id is "kpic")

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ab=AllFeedback
    Last edited by kpic; 05-12-2015 at 05:29 PM.

Garrett booster

Still F\S - price lowered

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Kpic I want to apologize to you for our niche market being too small Such a nice car and so worth the money! I apologize for all the guys who desperately want it but don't have the money to buy it, and for the other guys that have the money but are too far away, and yes even for the guys that have the money but nowhere to keep it INSIDE like it deserves to be kept

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

That made me chuckle!

BTW had a few questions about driving the car here or there, I cannot stress enough that the car has been driven maybe about 15 miles in 5 years, yes the interior looks good & the body looks great but mechanical things being mechanical things I would not really trust this to leave my driveway without being shipped\trailered, that's what the price represents it will probably need some "refreshing" and going over to be long distance roadworthy.

Garrett booster

The car has been sold, thanks everyone for all the help I needed through the years!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

New owner got a great car, hope they check in here

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL