Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Seeking Turbo Van Owner Knowledge

Garrett booster

Re: Seeking Turbo Van Owner Knowledge

Update: Fuel Light Low comes on, even after filling up, sendin unit a gonner I guess? I hope to replace the sending/pump unit monday. Also, on hills and part throttle the van bucks/missfies it feels like. I will not be driving it until the pump is replaced and timing position is checkd. Any other guesses guys? The AFR's are right on until the jolting happens.

Garrett booster

5,5xx miles on the last road trip, it was amazing but BOY did the drone KILL. I did not expect the drone to be so bad, but with the stock boost system in place limiting me to 5psi on hills it was killer in the hollow van. What would you guys suggest for a single muffler between the Y and cat, or do 2 on both ends? Only urned 1qt oil on the trip, well done Foxy Roxy! Went to the Seattle Mopar show as we passed through, met some nice fellas and nice cars.

The main killer of the trip other than noise was visibility, absolutely horrid! I have since addressed the issue with a 120W LED bar, connected to a wireless remote switch/ key fob. It's absolutely astonishing, I bought the universal projectors and tried to make them work but the beam was so horrible I gave up and the polished stock buckets are back in.

The 50' range wireless remote is astonishing, cheap, and easy I am so surprised more people haven't wired them this way.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I need a better pic of the exhaust. What are the pipe sizes in each section and what is the tiny muffler looking thing right after the downpipe?

Your low power after 4k rpm which turned into bucking/jolting at higher rpm plus whine from the back is classic failing fuel pump. If you want to verify you can put a fuel pressure gauge on it and drive it. Correct pressure in boost is 55+boost psi.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

Thanks bud! The less problems it seems like the better. The exhaust is 2.5" turbo back, the bulge is a high flow MagnaFlow cat then to a Y pipe. Would sound deadening work too, but be too much weight? Deadening might be beneficial for colder nights in the travel van... but dang I'd like to make it fast soon

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I have a brand new 2.5" SS exhaust cutout. Alot of folks are using an e-cutout valve, so you can have mild exhaust for daily driving and open the valvecwhen you want the power and less backpressure.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

I think a van has too many substantially flat panels to go down the rabbit hole of 'insulation'. Most of the time people are only concerned about drone, and drone is basically when some of the frequencies of the exhaust match the resonant frequency of part of the body. You can add weight to the middle of a resonating panel (not the entire thing like some people do!) to change its resonant frequency but suffice to say you'll be taking your whole interior apart and doing a whole lot of experimentation before you ever get a useful result. To me the cost/benefit ratio is out of whack.

It's simpler imo to change the noise your exhaust is making, especially when you have straight pipe sections where you could be adding mufflers.

How much length is in between the cat and the Y? I would start by adding the longest perforated-core (straight-through) muffler that will fit right there. You can find this stuff easily on Summits website. You can apply so many filters on muffler design that it will narrow down to what you are looking for. I went over there right now and applied these filters:

Department / Exhaust
    Section / Mufflers & Resonators
    Part Type / Mufflers
    Universal / Yes
    Inlet Diameter (in) / 2.500 in.
    Outlet Diameter (in) / 2.500 in.
    Outlet Quantity: One
    Internal Construction: Perforated stainless tube with packing, Perforated tube, Glasspack,
    Glass-wrap perforated tube, Straight-through core

The only other thing you would need to add is case length, which if i knew what space you had available i wouldve done that and recommended a specific muffler for you. So go find out how much room is there!

Garrett booster

Updates: Still looking for an ideal high flow muffler to add to save my tinnitus from further damage on the long drives. Plugs were replaced with factory and fuel pump replaced, cutout at 4k doesn't happen anymore.

I installed an NXS MBC and even at the lowest setting couldn't get the van to stop doing 15+psi. Without the foot floored, I can keep it in the 10-12 range with 12.2AFR. I imagine that it will go into full WOT mode when floored and provide even more fuel for safer driving. NXS is sending another MBC with a shorter spring to see if that helps.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by TopGunRMNP View Post
    ideal high flow muffler to add to save my tinnitus from further damage on the long drives.

Why are you so set on high flow muffler that does not muffle the noise?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

[B]
    I installed an NXS MBC and even at the lowest setting couldn't get the van to stop doing 15+psi. Without the foot floored, I can keep it in the 10-12 range with 12.2AFR. I imagine that it will go into full WOT mode when floored and provide even more fuel for safer driving. NXS is sending another MBC with a shorter spring to see if that helps.
    Are you still running the Mitsu??
    They are sometimes very hard to control boost with a 2.5 Turbo and free flowing exhaust.
    Sometimes a small restriction is needed to keep from overboosting.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Garrett booster

I want a high-flow muffler that DOES* muffle the noise. I have bad tinnitus from all my years driving the SRT-4 with 3" TBE, gotten scans, MRI, etc and they say it's long term high dB damage and unrepairable. I want high-flow for performance reasons of course, but yes, I want it to do what a muffler does and dub down the sound bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I have the stock mitsu on with a 2.5" relatively open exhaust, it goes through a tiny FM cat that you can see at the base of the DP in the pic. I have hooked up the mani straight to the can and see 4psi, others say they get 10psi so my can has a weak spring. This shouldn't matter with an mbc though right? I have the MBC backed all the way out, I checked the spring and ball, I even squished the spring a bit to shorten any resistance to the ball, and I still can get 15+ psi if I let it.

What do I need to do guys?

Garrett booster

Perhaps the steel ball is too heavy for the line and not getting out of the way, therefor no force is being put on the can and it is allowing the arm to stay open/closed whichever way it is?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Are you saying you can maintain 4 psi with the direct line at full throttle??

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Garrett booster

Yes. 4psi constant, when the WGA is hooked directly to the intake mani. I just replaced the steel ball with a .25g airsoft BB and squished the spring down more. Now I will still go over the 15psi if I let it, but the climb is much slower and easily controlled to stay around 10psi when I need it.

turbo addict

I want a high-flow muffler that DOES* muffle the noise. I have bad tinnitus from all my years driving the SRT-4 with 3" TBE, gotten scans, MRI, etc and they say it's long term high dB damage and unrepairable. I want high-flow for performance reasons of course, but yes, I want it to do what a muffler does and dub down the sound bit.
    Review looks good.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vp...FU1qfgodwdkK3w

I'd get a quiet flow myself. I value my ears more than couple of HP.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...1%2B4294900370

Garrett booster

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

The setup on Gus' Slugmobile is alot quieter than on Mini. Some of it I'm sure is because it still uses the stock cam. But mostly because Slug actually uses two mufflers.
    The fact you retain a cat will help drop some dB's. But using two mufflers that are high flow might help lower the noise without robbing so much HP.
    The two mufflers on Slug are a bullet style Race Magnum, and a Warlock. Both are 3" in/out.
    Also taking the exhaust out the back would probably help your condition as well.
    And BTW, your van looks slick! Me likey!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

I have two cars with full 3" exhausts. One of them has 3 straight-through mufflers and the other one has 2, one straight-through and one straight-through with a spring-loaded flapper valve in it (not good for turbo but not bad enough for me to care on this one). My van has a 3" side exit with a ~30" oval case straight through muffler followed by a 3" dynomax VT (with the flapper) and it is actually QUIET at low loads. I would bet money it's the quietest 3" side-exit exhaust most people have ever heard.
    Last edited by Vigo; 10-12-2015 at 12:23 PM.

boostaholic

i have a knock off flowmaster 3 inch,3 inch dp,3inch gutted cat side exit on mine.Its loud but bearable.

Garrett booster

Vigo, do you have underside pics of your 3" setup and a link to what part you used to keep the noise down? I'm already into this 2.5" $250, so not sure at this point if I want to revamp to 3" out the back, or to add another $50 piece to the existing setup.

My plan is to go .46trim + Walbro255 + IC + +40 Injectors + Great Tune this winter and the 3" sounds like it would be smarter.

Would anyone be interested in this beautiful custom exhaust for a van, located in CO? Check the FS/FT/WTB section, I will list the exhaust and be looking for these parts.

Not yet. I'll try to remember when the sun is up again.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678