Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Turbo Van Owner Knowledge

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: Seeking Turbo Van Owner Knowledge

I ran 3" on a 2.2 in my Daytona with a Mitsu at 18-20 psi with a big intercooler, didn't have any boost control problems, but I was running my own custom Turbonator LM 3-bar cal. It did wear out in a year and I went to the Garrett then.

I don't believe the turbo is causing the 4k flatline, I think it's the stock programming. Put a MBC on it and see what it does.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

I had a 3" downpipe and a muffler that dumped just behind the front seats in my van with a Mitsu...I was able to control boost just fine with a MBC.

Garrett booster

NXS MBC on the way, where do you guys like to route it? Turbo directly to WGA? Then cap off line from manifold?

Hybrid booster

The factory setup is a hose coming from the compressor housing to the waste-gate actuator, with a t that has a line going to the bleed valve right behind the passenger headlight.

Basically, the factory boost control doesn't tie into the intake manifold.

All you need is have a line from the compressor to the actuator with the boost controller in between.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Dorman 577-500
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea these were available aftermarket.

turbo addict

I always run them from the intake to the actuator. If you run it off the turbo outlet it will possibly open the WG on shifts because of a boost spike which we don't want. They ran them off the mitsu outlet to slow down the boost response

Garrett booster

I'd like to hit 14psi and that's all, I read 20 different ways and actually saw a couple diagrams, but few of them went from turbo -> to -> MBC -> to -> WGA. I thought this was the ideal way to hook up a MBC? Does anyone have pics, or a drawing on where to hook up, and also how to delete the WGA solenoid once going MBC, or where to plug it up? I will take the line coming from the manifold for boost gauge hook up, but I am lost after that.

Going with a stock pump + assembly replacement, they are only $20 from parts geek, $115 for walbro. I don't plan to go past 250hp I suppose, just want to have fun, reliability is more important to me for the vans true use. Do I need 2 new lock rings + seals, or just 1 when replacing the pump?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

If you want to get to 250hp you have to buy injectors one way or another, so keep that in mind when thinking about your budget. If you can get a cheap used adjustable fuel pressure regulator i would just buy injectors big enough that you could flow 250+hp at a reduced fuel pressure vs the stock 55(+boost psi) so that a stock-style pump would still be happy. A stock v6/turbo pump could probably flow enough to support well over 300hp if it didn't have to make 75-80psi at the same time like the stock fuel system wants it to.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Stock V6 pump is the same as the turbo pump, FYI.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Stock pump arrived today, sending unit, filter, and all for $20! I couldn't pass it up, so larger injectors seems like a good idea then, do I need to recal after injectors or will the ECU understand the flow based on ohms?

Here's a quick render of my next project. I have the magnaflow and Y pipe on the way.

turbo addict

The ECU can adjust +/- 25% at idle and Cruise from it's base program. At WOT it dumps it's programmed fuel. So if you put +20's in it'll dump 20% more fuel at WOT. Some cars can run them at idle and cruise, Some can't. Just depends on what side of the factory curve you're on IMO.

In order for fuel injectors to allow your fuel pump to support more power you need a fuel pressure regulator to lower the fuel pressure as well. Otherwise you are just moving the weakest link from the injectors to the fuel pump (which should be fine at 250hp if it's in good shape/new).

And you will definitely need the computer recalibrated if you want the car to run well with significantly larger injectors (more than ~20% larger as GLHNSLHT2 is saying).

Also the diagram you drew will not work the way you think it will because of the fuel tank location. You'll have to route the pipes around the fuel tank to follow the frame rails before turning them out the sides in front of the rear tires.

I like the exhaust, should sound wicked.

In my experience, 2.5's run pig rich with +20's unless you turn the base fuel down which is what I used to do when I ran them without a cal.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

UPDATES: 215/70r15 rubber installed, much better ride height, comfort, and highway rpm (2800rpm @ 75mph) -- this also means I am now essentially slower correct?

Rear hitch finally came off with a bit of grinding, whacking, and mechanical brute force! >>

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I have almost the same size tires, a teeny bit taller actually 225/70/15 and they did help highway RPM's a bunch How did you verify your speed? I just drove alongside my my Bro's 2004 Lightening truck which he says very accurate. I haven't verified with GPS but probably should. My son and a couple buds were in the rear bench seat over the weekend and I slid the rear around a turn Im familiar with and he got a little anxious back there He said Woody "leans" way more then it did with the other tires. hes right but its a good tradeoff for the ride and RPM's

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

Verified with GPS, my speedometer was lying at about 70, doing 75-76 and RPM were about 2800, or just above. Can't wait to see the real MPG report.

UV DYE LEAK UPDATE:

While the van was on the lift I broke out the handy dandy UV light to check more in depth for leaks and found 3 potential areas.

1) Oil pan Gasket, WET UV.
    2) Is the starter really located at the center rear of the engine? If so, how much of a pita is that going to be? It is lightly covered in DRY UV.
    3) The bottom half of the transmission line where it mounts to the engine has DRY UV, is this a main seal output? = No bueno...

note: I added 1qt of oil sealant/ gasket fix and have not lost nearly any in 2 weeks of driving now. Obviously the leaks existed due to UV showing, but the oil pan is the only current leak I could find.

How much slower is the car now with the large tires, and will this stress the engine more or less? I feel a loss of "up-n-go"

Hybrid booster

The starter is where you say, and it is a PITA. (hey that rhymed!).

Really it's only one bolt that sucks(between the starter and block), if you put about 2 feet of extensions together you can get the socket on there and crank the wrench from way over on the passenger side. Having someone working from up top and able to feel the head/guide the socket on is also a big help for that one.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Garrett booster

Thanks bud, the starter seems just fine though. My guess is it was from the rear/main seal when it was leaking?

Starter is easy to do.

Rear main seals usually make a bloody mess, not just slight seepage. The usual suspects are cam and crank front seals, valve cover gasket, cam plug.

The taller and heavier tires will definitely slow the van down a lot. Probably 4 or 5 tenths in the 1/4 mile on a stock van. The 'solution' would be to make more power.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast