Thread: 2005 PT Cruiser GT Smell

2005 PT Cruiser GT Smell

I've noticed that when I get into boost I can smell something like exhaust in my car. It only happens when I am using boost. I know it's not burning oil, my wifes Mazda Tribute has a small leak on the rear of the engine and we can smell burning oil after long trips so I'm familiar with the smell. The smell also seems to happen more often when I am using my A/C.

Could there be an exhaust leak around the turbo or a gasket that needs replaced? I'm not 100% convinced it's exhaust, but that's the closest I can get to the smell. I cannot smell it after I pull the car over and pop the hood, I've tried twice today by boosting up and down my street and slowing down real fast and popping the hood.

Any ideas?
    2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Mods coming soon!

boostaholic

Re: 2005 PT Cruiser GT Smell

AC compressor clutch/belt?
    MinivanRider

Quote Originally Posted by Rrider View Post
    AC compressor clutch/belt?
    Would it still smell if the A/C was turned off? I noticed that the smell lingered this afternoon as I was driving home from work with the A/C on.

boostaholic

No, probably something else then.
    MinivanRider

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

You might hear an exhaust leak if it were that.
    Your cabin air filter is sort of isolated from the engine bay by the hood seal, unless it is missing or damaged.
    Do you have a breather hose missing or cracked? There are two or three coming off the valvecover.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

My check engine light came on as I was driving home today. I did the key dance and it brought up code P 1188. After some google searching I found that P 1188 means overboost? I didn't really get a clear idea of what it was. I did, however, notice that a vacuum line had popped off.

Attachment 54485
    The second black nipple had come off completely.

I put it back on and started my car up. It started faster than it normally does, but I don't know if that's my brain playing tricks on me or not. I boosted up and down my street and I couldn't smell it anymore! I also think I heard a BOV? I don't know where they install at, but I took some more under the engine shots if anyone is interested seeing them.

The BOV is right on the turbo compressor housing. There's an actuator on it. I don't have a pic.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

boostaholic

This is the turbo, BOV is on top
    Or as we used to call it in the SRT-4 world, the factory boost leak.

http://images.sportcompactcarweb.com...ojneon18_z.jpg

Well, the smell is back. I honestly don't know where to even look at this point. I can't find any hoses with cracks or disconnected. I've been checking the hose that popped off every time I stop and it's staying connected. The smell is only there when I boost.
    I can take whatever pictures would help diagnose it if that's any help.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Could be a flex joint going bad in the downpipe? Opening up a bit when the engine rocks under load. Just throwing out ideas.

Also it may have started faster after doing the dance because the pump was primed. I know my SRT-4 cranks a few extra revolutions before firing if I don't let the ignition sit in the on position a few seconds before starting.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Could it be something getting "cooked off" of the the exhaust or something else getting hot? Boost = heat, especially around the exhaust...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

I may have found part of the problem. I was checking all the connections under the hood to make sure they were firm and I found this.

Attachment 54503

I also spoke to my dad driving home and asked him about the smell. He told me to turn on the heat and then go into boost and see if the smell was any worse. It seemed to be a bit worse, so he thinks it might be the heater core? I hope it's not that.

Also, could that rubber hose being broken cause my car to stutter when it's in boost? It felt like it was going full boost and then cut out and built back up in second gear.

Also, I tried getting a good picture of the turbo to see if there's a BOV.

Attachment 54504
    Attachment 54505
    Attachment 54506
    Attachment 54507

I can't see any of the pics.
    If the hose that came off is part of the wastgate system then you might have overboosted. I don't know, but would think you'd get a code or engine check light for that.
    Heater core failures make a sweeter sort of smell. And if you used defrost you might even get a film on your windshield.
    Don't know why a bad heater core would smell more in boost, other than the increased rpm on the waterpump.
    Wayne H.