Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: 1987 CSX for SDAC 2015

boostaholic

Re: 1987 CSX for SDAC 2015

Have one of those built not bought stickers on my glhs. the car looks like hell but hauls...I guess that makes in a LLHS

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Anyone can buy, not all can build. Part of what I like about restoring cars is the hunt. Finding the car. Building the car in my mind. Finding parts for the car. The road trips to drag home parts vehicles. Hearing it fire up for the first time. The first road test.

Sometimes things go to plan... other times not.
    While I may never have the skill to "restore" a car, I'm there with you. I'll never forget walking up a dirt road right alongside a big beautiful cranberry bog, eventually treading through tall grass to find my Daytona. Like something out of a movie. It's been a long, interesting road since.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

boostaholic

Raiders of the lost Daytona...

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Attachment 58861

The results at the end make it worth it.. but it is a pain at times especially after a very long hot and humid week.

Challenger is fun with its own personality but I'd rather build not buy a hot rod and it still is for me just a "toaster car" daily driver. I was considering doing some performance upgrades... but as time passes I think I'm just going to leave it be. Oh it is going to get the R/T stripes and some practical upgrades, why these cars don't have splash guards and sill protection from the factory out of the box is beyond me... but for its intended purpose I think its best to leave it alone. I have a Dart and Reliant still waiting in the wings.

My buddy is ragging on me for not starting the Dart as soon as the CSX is wrapped up this month. I have to swap gears in the Duster and pull the trans to replace the clutches in the front drum and play with the timing of the 2-3 shift. Should be no more than 2 weeks and then the car is ready for the track in the fall and should dip into the 12's. If I start on the Dart now that means no track time this year as it will tie me up for several months.

I don't get enough track time as it is.

Anyone can buy, not all can build. Part of what I like about restoring cars is the hunt. Finding the car. Building the car in my mind. Finding parts for the car. The road trips to drag home parts vehicles. Hearing it fire up for the first time. The first road test.

Sometimes things go to plan... other times not.

Kyle's CSX went surprisingly smooth all things considered, I really enjoyed setting the car right and saving it from the crusher.

Gary

Well said Gary.

This is exactly what keeps me going in this obsession of mine...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9148.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	58884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9147.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	58883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9151.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	58882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9150.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	58885

CSX- Bladed off the rest of the black paint, 4 coats of sandable primer/filler, wet sanded and then a few coats of gloss black paint. I'll let it set for a day or two before applying the decals.

Challenger- Had some fun. Car came with some chrome "hubcaps" that almost caused me to lose my temper when I came to pickup the car. They cover the wheel well enough I thought the dealer swapped rims! I hit them with matte black peel paint and popped 2 on to see how they looked.

Striped up the drivers side while I was at it, passenger side I'm waiting for a replacement piece after an unfortunate accident.

Yes I'm going to drive into work like that to mess with people's heads. lol.

Working on clearing the decks.

Hybrid booster

Challenger- Had some fun. Car came with some chrome "hubcaps" that almost caused me to lose my temper when I came to pickup the car. They cover the wheel well enough I thought the dealer swapped rims! I hit them with matte black peel paint and popped 2 on to see how they looked.

Striped up the drivers side while I was at it, passenger side I'm waiting for a replacement piece after an unfortunate accident.

Yes I'm going to drive into work like that to mess with people's heads. lol.
    You obviously have too much time on your hands

Quote Originally Posted by turboshelbys View Post
    You obviously have too much time on your hands
    Ha!

Busy weekend actually; Bank run Saturday morning, installed splash guards on the Challenger, washed the car, party at a friends house with the family, visited a motorcycle shop, purchased a new mailbox and paint which Leah promptly painted said mailbox and further practiced her painting skills on some scrap boxes, split wood for a fire in the pit, made the fire, replaced the mailbox and added some nice 3" aluminum numbers.

Sunday sanded and painted the passenger door on the CSX, installed 2 out of the 6 lower silver sections, scraped the double stick tape off the door plug, pulled the front fender air dam piece to replace the tape, helped Kyle replace the tach board in his CSX, helped Jacob replace the radiator in his Shadow and instructed Kyle on how to adjust the alternator belt, striped one side of the Challenger, coated the four "hubcaps" matte black, went to the furniture store with the Mrs and purchased a new bedroom set, fixed the weed whacker (replaced the fuel hoses, all rotted out) and then promptly did the fence line. Cut checks for the house and car taxes, fired off a letter to the car dealer I purchased the Challenger at (good letter), printed out some stuff for work and made lunch for tomorrow.

Whew.

My boss wonders at times why I look forward to going to work after some weekends, so I can relax!
    Last edited by mopar-tech; 07-10-2016 at 08:15 PM.

Hybrid booster

Just think in a couple of months I'll be at your house every weekend

Quote Originally Posted by turboshelbys View Post
    Just think in a couple of months I'll be at your house every weekend
    I'm sure I can find something for you to do! LOL!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
    Too funny Pat - I muttered those same words to my girlfriend a few weeks ago after that paint incident on the convertible I'm working on. I tell you, if they come out with an AWD Scat Pack version, I really think I might just sell most of my old stuff and buy one of those. What would it be like to spend weekends/weeknights NOT working on cars? LOL!

Jon
    hehe, needed a car to replace my severely rusted 88 Lancer Shelby. was thinking about a govt issued reliant turbo but really didn't want to HAVE to work on something. So went with this:

Not a scat pack but plenty fast IMO. quicker than the regular R/T's due to a traction advantage.

Hybrid booster

I'm sure I can find something for you to do! LOL!
    Can't wait Bro, seriously! Maybe you can help me install my 5.7 Hemi in my 66 Barracuda I pulled everything out of my 06 5.7 r/t magnum. Plan is to swap entire drivetrain, suspension, and wiring. Motor has been rebuilt with all kinds of goodies including comp cams xfi cam good for 60hp and 29trq.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    hehe, needed a car to replace my severely rusted 88 Lancer Shelby. was thinking about a govt issued reliant turbo but really didn't want to HAVE to work on something. So went with this:

Not a scat pack but plenty fast IMO. quicker than the regular R/T's due to a traction advantage.
    Nice score, I donated my magnum for my 66 barracuda.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post

Ah, FB link. Can't see it as FB is totally blocked on my network here. What is it?

An auto car would be quicker than my manual R/T but it isn't the point of the car, its fun to row your own gears.

Woke up at 3AM so headed out to the garage to clean out the hatch area and installed the final 2 Kicker speakers that have been sitting in the box since last year.

If I still feel perky enough when I get off work at five I'll start working on the drivers door decal.

turbo addict

Ah, FB link. Can't see it as FB is totally blocked on my network here. What is it?
    White Magnum R/T with tinted windows getting filled up with fuel.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

And the funny offset AWD wheels.

I'll have another one someday, but it won't be an AWD hemi. Looks nice, though!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    White Magnum R/T with tinted windows getting filled up with fuel.
    I saw it at work, very nice.

Stripped the CSX door decal off the drivers side, easy when you just blade everything off including the paint! Block sanded a bit, putty on the low spots and let it set overnight. Sand and primer tomorrow.
    Last edited by mopar-tech; 07-11-2016 at 08:54 PM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    And the funny offset AWD wheels.

I'll have another one someday, but it won't be an AWD hemi. Looks nice, though!
    I hate the wheels in pictures. but IRL I think they look pretty good. I was already looking for rims before buying the car, when I saw them IRL the rims can wait.

Older auto AWD Magnum vs 2012 manual R/T, would be an interesting contest!

You would have a traction advantage but my R/T is lighter and stripper model to boot and has a better 5.7 with (375 hp and 410 ft/lbs)

Be fun to find out =)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-12 19.15.55.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	834.7 KB 
ID:	58913Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-12 19.16.15.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	765.9 KB 
ID:	58912

Starting to look sexy!

Masked off the drivers side, did some more touch up putty work and then started hitting it with primer. Between coats I wet sanded the other side with 2000 grit, cleaned it well and laid down the door decal. Came out rather nice I'd say! I'm looking for a better trim tape than I usually use for the lower plug, the 3M stuff I have is too thin and doesn't have much give for irregularities. Need to pop down to my friends body shop and see what he has for foam trim tape which is a touch thicker.

Sanded the drivers door several times with 600 grit between coats and laid down the last coat and rolled it back in the garage. Tomorrow hope to do a final sanding of the primer and hit it with several coats of gloss black which I'll let sit for a few days. While that is curing I'll swap out the struts and axle and do the a/c lines. Maybe I'll get a chance to black out the rims this weekend.

Gary