Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: 1987 CSX for SDAC 2015

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Re: 1987 CSX for SDAC 2015

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    It's a limited admission event. If history is any indication, cars still running in the later hours of the event can hot lap it.
    thats what I was thinking till I noticed the "paid list" grow over 100 cars... man I'm hoping for some hot laps with my car running really cool it shouldn't be a problem

- - - Updated - - -

Gary , I'm not sure what injectors your running but I have a set of +40's kicking around and maybe a set of +20's? I can bring those with me if you'd like?? I had them set for the spirit r/t I had but never got around to putting them in
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

The event is limited to 200 cars. Assuming no major clean ups, every racer leaves this event with either a broken car, or more runs then they could have ever hoped for.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    Gary , I'm not sure what injectors your running but I have a set of +40's kicking around and maybe a set of +20's? I can bring those with me if you'd like?? I had them set for the spirit r/t I had but never got around to putting them in
    I have a set of 20's in the car operating under reduced pressure, I might be in the market for a set of 40's if you have some for sale though.

Working on clearing the decks.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    I have a set of 20's in the car operating under reduced pressure, I might be in the market for a set of 40's if you have some for sale though.
    they're yours for everything you've been through with that car if it shows up to Cecil and runs down the track
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    they're yours for everything you've been through with that car if it shows up to Cecil and runs down the track
    I'd like to say "what a great deal! "
    But, knowing this is really Satan's car, that deal could be costly! LOL!

(Sorry Gary! )
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Here you go, Bud!

I believe tomorrow is the deadline for advance payment.

Paypal payments should be sent to tracktoysracing@gmail.com. If you prefer check it needs to be made out to Bill Tumas and sent to 407 Marion Dr Harrisburg PA 17112. Thanks and hope to see everyone there!!!! Please start spreading the word!
    I sent him an e-mail this morning Mike.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    I'd like to say "what a great deal! "
    But, knowing this is really Satan's car, that deal could be costly! LOL!

(Sorry Gary! )
    No offense taken! Car has been a bear and a grueling contest of wills.

I look forward to seeing everyone at Cecil, I'm trying to drag Genesky down too.

Tonight doing a final road test and might just install the Bogart rims off the back of the Reliant, need to check to see if the tires are still in good condition.

Time to get the race box and tool situation settled so were ready to go.

#141 on the paid list!

Hybrid booster

I may still have a problem- Anyone good with 87 code?

Last night coming home from the gas station I had a chance to do a few pulls on the highway. 15-16 psi, clearly about the map limit of 5.0 volts and the car will cut out just like overboost kicking in. Check engine light flashes, no codes present, overboost parameters are set to FF.

This only happens on a long pull in 4th gear, I'll try to "time it" tonight and see how long it takes after hitting WOT. I was able to replicate it 3 times.

I tried doing a long pull at 10 psi but there was traffic and had to abort.

EGT's are very good with 2 gallons of race fuel on board. The fact there is no code for overboost is puzzling but its been a long time since I have tinkered with 87 code.
    Gary,
    did you ever figure out what the cut out issue was? I've been fighting the exact issue with my 87 cal for oh....3 years...
    Cut out during long fourth gear pulls @16 lbs egt’s are good and I’ve replaced everything I can think of and still come up short.
    Let me know.

Thanks
    Joey

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    Gary,
    did you ever figure out what the cut out issue was? I've been fighting the exact issue with my 87 cal for oh....3 years...
    Cut out during long fourth gear pulls @16 lbs egt’s are good and I’ve replaced everything I can think of and still come up short.
    Let me know.

Thanks
    Joey
    I'll have to review the code again but I think that on the 87 code with the four overboost constants set to FF it doesn't shut down overboost but delays it as far as the clock will go.

Its not a problem with a 3 bar cal since the end of the map sensor range is rarely used by the majority of owners. On a 2-bar of course its easy to violate since as soon as you go over 14.7 psi/5 volts the clock starts ticking.

The long term solution if I'm reading the code correctly is either to upgrade to a 3 bar calibration and sensor OR you could clamp the map sensor voltage so it doesn't exceed 4.8-4.9 volts. I'll try to look at the assembly sheets I have again to see if this is correct.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

...OR you could clamp the map sensor voltage so it doesn't exceed 4.8-4.9 volts.
    As long as the supporting fuel is there, that's been working for years. Even the SRT-4 guys do it.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Beat last night and it was raining- Did not get much done aside from gather up one box of spare parts (race tote) popped the new calibration in the car, swapped in a blaster 2 coil, pulled the Bogarts from off the rack and polished one and dug around trying to get organized for Fridays departure.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    As long as the supporting fuel is there, that's been working for years. Even the SRT-4 guys do it.
    With the availability of 3 bar maps and handheld tuners for the SRT-4, it's not very common anymore.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

I'll have to review the code again but I think that on the 87 code with the four overboost constants set to FF it doesn't shut down overboost but delays it as far as the clock will go.

Its not a problem with a 3 bar cal since the end of the map sensor range is rarely used by the majority of owners. On a 2-bar of course its easy to violate since as soon as you go over 14.7 psi/5 volts the clock starts ticking.

The long term solution if I'm reading the code correctly is either to upgrade to a 3 bar calibration and sensor OR you could clamp the map sensor voltage so it doesn't exceed 4.8-4.9 volts. I'll try to look at the assembly sheets I have again to see if this is correct.
    Thanks Gary.

Let me know what you come up with and what you figure my best option is.

Thanks

Joey

Thanks Gary.

Thanks

Joey
    No problem!

In the next couple of months I'll look into some changes and see what I can come up with.

Thanks Gary.

Thanks

Joey
    Joey spent some time poking at the code tonight.

There are three values based on map output and one based on timer function.

With a 2-bar setting them to FF just equals 14.7 psi as the "trip" to kick in overboost shut down.

Once the map value is tripped then the timer kicks in. The stock value is about 1/2 a second and when set to the last value (FF) equals about 2.80 seconds.

In the real world I counted to about 6 seconds before OB kicked in.

In other news road tested the CSX tonight and it hitting 22 psi pretty much with EGT at 830C degrees (1526F).

The knock sensor is still showing slight activity on 2 cylinders, at this point I think the knock sensor is just picking up engine noise as there is 3 gallons of race fuel sloshing around the tank. Cal "177" has the knock voltage point raised up and we will see if that makes it go away tomorrow.

I'm going to make up another cal with a bone stock spark curve but raised knock detection threshold and try both at the track. At this point I have 2 good known computers and will swap them around at the track. I'll test the third tomorrow.

Gary
    Last edited by mopar-tech; 11-12-2015 at 06:11 AM.

Rock Auto was prompt about refunding for the distributor pickup, at least their customer service has been getting better.

Hybrid booster

Joey spent some time poking at the code tonight.

There are three values based on map output and one based on timer function.

With a 2-bar setting them to FF just equals 14.7 psi as the "trip" to kick in overboost shut down.

Once the map value is tripped then the timer kicks in. The stock value is about 1/2 a second and when set to the last value (FF) equals about 2.80 seconds.

In the real world I counted to about 6 seconds before OB kicked in.

In other news road tested the CSX tonight and it hitting 22 psi pretty much with EGT at 830C degrees (1526F).

The knock sensor is still showing slight activity on 2 cylinders, at this point I think the knock sensor is just picking up engine noise as there is 3 gallons of race fuel sloshing around the tank. Cal "177" has the knock voltage point raised up and we will see if that makes it go away tomorrow.

I'm going to make up another cal with a bone stock spark curve but raised knock detection threshold and try both at the track. At this point I have 2 good known computers and will swap them around at the track. I'll test the third tomorrow.

Gary
    Yeah, that 6 seconds until OB hits sounds about right. However,oddly enough it seems intermittent and used to be able to make a clean passwithout issues.
    I need to do something though because it’s literally a bombgoing off when it happens while using spray, which has previously blew myintake apart and ballooned my IC…

Have fun at Cecil this weekend, I’m anxious to hear how theCSX runs

However,oddly enough it seems intermittent and used to be able to make a clean pass without issues.
    I'm curious if there is some logic module issue as I thought it was intermittent too and the only thing that changed was the module. If I have time tonight I'm going to do some module swapping and see if the issue crops up with all three.

Do you get a code for OB or just the cutout? I'm not getting any code.

Have fun at Cecil this weekend, I’m anxious to hear how the CSX runs
    I'm very curious how it is going to go, been running flawless the past few days.