Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 1987 CSX for SDAC 2015

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Re: 1987 CSX for SDAC 2015

I *should* have all the electrical stuff done today. Have to pop out to Jan's Electronics and get a roll of heat shrink and see if I can round up a spare O2 sensor from my stash. Already located a 4 wire O2 connector in the bin and I'll find out whats going on with the fan. Vacuum harness of course is a wreck but I got the major stuff up and running.

I'll have to get the burner out and do a chip for it, already pulled a sockected LM out of stores and have it sitting on the bench. I'm sure I have a calibration in my library that will step things up a bit.

Working on clearing the decks.

boostaholic

Don't forget the spool.
    I remember you getting in on the group buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    Don't forget the spool.
    I remember you getting in on the group buy!
    That is set aside for a Reliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    I went with them for the carpet and am very happy with it. It has a nice heavy backing to it and the insulation padding stuff it comes with is really nice. I do agree that the sides where it tucks under the kick panels and entry trim could have been a little longer I'd say maybe like an inch would be good.. here's a pic of the carpet and the padding it has
    What color did you order? The Dove Gray?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Things are not looking much better this morning- Before bed I drug out my old drivabilty books and code 27 is "replace power module bad injector driver 3&4" which is odd as I can test fire the injectors via ATM test. Replaced the power module with a spare that was in the trunk and it had code 26 which is "replace power module bad injector driver 1&2" went back to the original module and its now dead as a door nail.

Just ducky.

And of course I have no spare power modules (Ironically I have about 20 SMEC's) so before I go running out to purchase a reman I need to check every LM/PM pin for continuity, grounds and proper resistance.

What. a. mess.
    I have maybe 10 spare PM's on my shelf. You can have a couple for the price of shipping. I'd really just like to get them out of the way...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

I went with a dark Quartz color carpet. I will have to go searching and see what the company calls the color. I Swapped out my interior plastics with newer interior since I didn't like the silver that faded into a shade of yellowish. Now it looks a lot more like an 89 interior
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    I went with a dark Quartz color carpet. I will have to go searching and see what the company calls the color.
    No dark quartz available as an option on Rock Auto.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    I have maybe 10 spare PM's on my shelf. You can have a couple for the price of shipping. I'd really just like to get them out of the way...
    Thank you for the offer but I think I'm all set. Code 27 calls for the replacement of the Power Module but in this case it was the missing logic module feed wire for 3 & 4 that was the cause of the code. Intresting that the drivabilty book doesn't at least have you check continuity between the LM and PM before replacement of the module.

The second module that was in the trunk might have nothing wrong with it, once I get the wiring fully repaired today I'll try swapping back and forth and see if anything comes up. I might take you up on the offer though, I do like having spares on hand and the plan is for this car to be around for some time.

Gary

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    No dark quartz available as an option on Rock Auto.
    Really strange how rockauto has a cheaper price for carpet vs. the manufacture website but I went with the custom color option availible on the acc website here http://www.accmats.com/Commerce/Search.aspx
    Strange how it costs more but I wanted the darker gray usually called quartz so I didn't mind the extra cost.If you look under the custom color options you will find all the different colors availible, I did stay with the original cutloop carpet style.
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Well this is interesting.

Fixed some wiring under hood today along with the vacuum harness and then took a look at the non-functioning fan assembly.

Now that it is running the engine is dead lean at idle. O2 is working as I can give it a toot of fuel and see the O2 zip right up.

Checking the fan situation I can ground the LM pin for fan control and the fan cycles on. So I'm looking at a bad wire or bad LM. For the hell of it I tossed in a Stu Davis 87 module I had kicking about and was surprised that not only did the fan start working but the idle was nice and smooth.

But in typical Stu manner there is stuff moved around in the calibration so the scanner doesn't know what to make with the data stream! LOL.

Popped open the LM that came in it and was surprised to find a socketed board and a mystery chip in there, very interesting.

Done for the day, but tomorrow I think I need to get my chip burner station up and going again.

Well I'll be damn. Just checked the Injector part number and it turns out I have a set of Turbo I injectors.

That would explain the lean idle.

Hybrid booster

Looks like this car wen to the right person! I'm excited to see this project progress, looks like your off to a good start. I was just on Facebook and saw somebody selling an 88 CSX-T for $400 location Philadelphia Pa. If you need a parts car...

Mitsu booster

Nice project!!!

Really hoping to wrap up most of the wiring today and move on to other areas, hell it hasn't even been road tested yet. Need to call a few shops to get a price on windshield..

Todays work list- Repair wiring at headlamp switch, kick panel, fuse panel, fan relay and fuel tank sending. DONE. All the gauges now function.

Full electrical test shows everything seems to be working aside from the following minor issues.

Headlamp switch dimmer flaky (will replace) turn signals in dash inop (bulbs I assume) one or two dash lamps out (will pull cluster and change which I have to do anyways as cluster lens is missing) wiper intermittent function not correct (but low/high works fine)

Going to vacuum the hell out of the interior now that the electrical is ok (till something else pops up) maybe later today I'll setup an old P3-1000 work PC with my chip burning station. No injector swap yet as I can move the car in and out of the garage and other things are higher priority.

Gary

Wipers fixed, had a spare module.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Dang Gary, and I thought my Daytona was messed up. You've beat me there. Good thread, very intersting info. Keep posting.

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Dang Gary, and I thought my Daytona was messed up. You've beat me there. Good thread, very intersting info. Keep posting.
    I have put better cars to the torch "back in the day" when you were tripping over the things every week. You needed a motor or trans or what ever and drove around till you found one for $100-$300 and dragged it home and stripped it for parts. I used to trip over Shelby Chargers at least a few times a month.

Much like the old muscle cars too, except the Shelby Dodges don't seemed to have faired as well. While I was tempted to kick this down the road more than once the past week have not and so far nothing likes like a killer problem as of yet. Need to proceed to DMV this weekend to make sure no problems are lurking in the paperwork before I go much further though. The state of CT can be a pain sometimes even with an older car. Clean title and bill of sale SHOULD be enough.

Lunch break.

So I have the seats yanked out and found and old cell phone box lurking under the seat (now in scrap bin) and found that at some point someone changed the carpet out. Or to be more exact they threw a new carpet in and just GLUED IT to the old carpet. It all came out with a razor knife, I bet the car is 100 pounds lighter now. Oh and "rust free" does not mean "no water leaks" if you know what I mean. Carpet was nasty smelling.

Just off phone. New windshield to be installed on Tuesday, $200 cash.

See that bucket? Thats all the wire I ganked out of the car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-05-01 11.15.38.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	54492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-05-01 12.37.18.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	54493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-05-01 12.37.09.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	54494   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-05-01 12.36.56.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	54495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-05-01 11.16.31.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	54496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-05-01 11.16.21.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	54497  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-05-01 11.16.05.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	54498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-05-01 11.15.47.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	54499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-05-01 12.37.45.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	54500  

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Great progress

So the seats have been changed out at some point then?

A couple years ago I was parting out a nice gray interior Omni at a local self serve yard and as I unbolted the dash and wriggled out half way out, a wallet dropped onto the passenger side footwell All the credit cards were about 11 years expired so it had been there at least that long. Looking thru it, I learned a lot about the man who lost it(retired pilot, surgeon, and had a medical practice serving indigent/poor in the desert of Mojave California) who was also the original owner of the car. He was VERY organized and had everything meticoulously arranged in the wallet. Heck he even had a neatly folded $100. bill tucked in there. I surmised that he must have put it in the glovebox (open top on Omni's) and it bounced up and back over a bump and when he got to where he was going, it had just vanished!!?? A guy that organized musta gone crazy wondering how it could just vaporize into thin air! I wanted to return the wallet so I called the clinic in Mojave, he'd been dead 5+ years. I talked to the office manager who had worked for him for 15+ years. She remembered very well the boxy little gray car he used to drive. She said he loved that thing The cell phone under carpet reminded me of this story

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    So the seats have been changed out at some point then?
    Yes.

The "cell phone" is actually a big honking "base box" all the guts were in, pure 80's tech.

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast