Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 1987 CSX for SDAC 2015

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

1987 CSX for SDAC 2015

Good morning!

I have been looking for a second turbo dodge for some time now for a number of reasons. The primary reason was to get my sons more interested in cars and racing (I want them to do auto-cross and some light drag racing)... They like the older cars very much but seem to find the older tech daunting and harder to relate too. The secondary reason was I desired another TD vehicle to do some parts development work on and tooling about the streets in a full race car is problematic at best.

A lot of time was spent looking for another 2-dr Reliant or Aires so that I could interchange sheet metal if need be but none were to be found that were not already half way to rusty-crusty-ville. So here we are..

Dave Scrab dropped me a note letting me know that CSX #193 popped up for sale last week. The price was right, it is rust free, the family likes it and just in range of a 12 hour dash to and fro for pickup which we did on Sunday.

It needs a LOT of electrical work but it has come to the right place for that. Once the car is up and running we will assess what is there and come up with a game plan for SDAC. At a minimum new struts, shocks, brakes etc so the car can go auto-crossing. I have no idea how healthy the drivetrain as the car isn't running but there is a motor and transaxle from a certain 12 second Daytona just sitting under the bench if need be.. I planned on bring the GTX down to SDAC in July but this will be more fun. If the car gets into shape fast and we have the time we may strip off the burnt paint and do a quick rat-rod black and silver paint job. Going to need a windshield too.

Questions (and there will be more after the coffee kicks in)

1) Are exterior window sweeps and gaskets still available for Shadows? These are in very bad shape from being out in the sun for years.

2) Are the ACC carpets decent? I see carpeting available from 2 suppliers.

3) Will a 225/45R16 fit in a Shadow wheelwell? I have 3 on the shelf and will pickup a 4th if so as I have a set of 16" rims kicking around.

Gary Donovan.

P.S. Yes I still have the Reliant and this summer the ball starts rolling there as it goes down to Brians for chassis work now that the decks have been cleared here at home to some extent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05753.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	54461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0426151152.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	54460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05750.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	54459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11194594_10155478764085716_5289183067778387613_o.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	54462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reliant waits.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	439.7 KB 
ID:	54463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1375990_10153321686855716_85837480_n.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	54464

Working on clearing the decks.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: 1987 CSX for SDAC 2015

Can't wait! I sure hope i make it to SDAC.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Can't wait! I sure hope i make it to SDAC.
    Come on down Wayne! Going to be fun.

Took care of what I had to take care of over Mom's last night and were going to diag whats going on with the car tonight.

I'm going to have to give a LOT of thought which direction to go with this car. Just spent 2 hours going over the wiring and just generally poking around.

The wiring is shot pretty much front to back. The body of the car is ok with the exception of the large rot hole in the trunk floor. Interior is toast- Carpet, headliner, visors, dash cluster, dash trim. I'd estimate I'd need another car just to make this one whole.

turbo addict

Gary,
    Andy (ajakeski on this forum) has a kit for the outer window sweeps for the P-bodies. I've installed a couple of the kits on P-bodies. You still have to rebuild part of the existing sweeps though. To do it correctly (repainting all of the blacked out trim) takes some time, but isn't hard to do. The last set I did I have a whole bunch of issues with incompatibility of SEM trim black and the undercoats. This could have been caused from chemicals that were soaked into the original sweeps. Didn't matter how many times I cleaned them with silicone remover or alcohol. I did not have this trouble on the first set I did. I ended up having to use a flexible primer sealer under the topcoat.
    Here is a link; http://www.greatlakeshotrod.com/Grea...s/Welcome.html
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6084.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	227.8 KB 
ID:	54472  

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

I did the ACC carpet in my Shadow a couple weeks ago. Fitment is ~95%~ correct. The front edge of the front seats was a bit off for me. The heel pad is not in the original position, its larger and rather universal looking being a textured insert that seems to only come in black and its sewn on instead of being molded in. I feel they could have provided a little more around the edges to tuck under the trim but alas it did work. Mine ended up short around the center console between the passenger seat and the rear portion of the console because I cut away too much, not their fault. It comes as one big piece with nothing cut out.

ACC is the actual MFG, everyone else seems to resell their products. Rockauto even with shipping (lol) was by far the best deal.

If you want original chrysler style carpet opt for the mass backing and get the extra plush/essex style. Our old econo boxes got very rich carpeting compared to the thin crap in new cars today.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

225/45r16 should fit fine. I have them in the rear of mine and I'm told that they were originally in the front.

Things are not looking much better this morning- Before bed I drug out my old drivabilty books and code 27 is "replace power module bad injector driver 3&4" which is odd as I can test fire the injectors via ATM test. Replaced the power module with a spare that was in the trunk and it had code 26 which is "replace power module bad injector driver 1&2" went back to the original module and its now dead as a door nail.

Just ducky.

And of course I have no spare power modules (Ironically I have about 20 SMEC's) so before I go running out to purchase a reman I need to check every LM/PM pin for continuity, grounds and proper resistance.

What. a. mess.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Hey Gary, good to see your still playing with these cars I wish I had a spare PM to run down there for ya but I swapped out of that set up a long time ago. As far as the carpet I also went with ACC carpets in my CSX.. they are from Alabama I think? I went with them for the carpet and am very happy with it. It has a nice heavy backing to it and the insulation padding stuff it comes with is really nice. I do agree that the sides where it tucks under the kick panels and entry trim could have been a little longer I'd say maybe like an inch would be good.. here's a pic of the carpet and the padding it has
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0231.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	712.6 KB 
ID:	54476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0451.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	54477  
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Gary, where do you find that information regarding all the wires for the proper resistance and ground continuity? I'm guessing a FSM? I think i could use that info for the van, for figuring out a few things.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7361.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	54478

Gary, where do you find that information regarding all the wires for the proper resistance and ground continuity? I'm guessing a FSM? I think i could use that info for the van, for figuring out a few things.
    Being a factory trained tech has its advantages, I have all the books for the turbo cars.

I need to find me the 89 book then.
    They have probably long since been thrown in the dumpsters at dealerships.
    Wayne H.

Is this the same manual but for 89 2.5 turbo?
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...802124&alt=web
    Wayne H.

Is this the same manual but for 89 2.5 turbo?
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...802124&alt=web
    Yes it is.

I will NOT be thwarted.

Hybrid booster

That "vintage" snap-on scanner is really bringing back some memories.

Quote Originally Posted by EaZyE426 View Post
    That "vintage" snap-on scanner is really bringing back some memories.
    I have DRB-II I can include in the next video if you want another trip down memory lane.

So? What did you find? Or you got a new computer?
    Wayne H.

So? What did you find? Or you got a new computer?
    Well there was and still is a host of items. First thing I did last night was go over the critical connectors in the bay to make sure that they were at least in good condition. Popped out the PM connectors, cleaned the decades old grease out and expanded out the pin "gripers" so they made good contact before finally doing a final cleaning with electrical contact cleaner. Then I pulled the fuel rail and checked the rail sub-harness for damage and continuity. Compared the resistance values of the injectors to a known good set.

At this point I hooked the injectors (new o-rings) and rail back up to do an ATM test to verify operation and indeed injectors 3 and 4 were not firing. From this point I checked continuty between the injector rail connector (injector control) and the Power Module which was also good.

From there I proceeded to check the Logic Module to Power Module continuity (injector control) and found the major issue. The pins were missing from the LM connector! The first five odd number pins had been removed out of the red connector and cut out the harness. Injector control 3 & 4, map sensor feed, speed sensor, alt control and spare voltage were gone.

So I trucked over to the barn and pulled a bin of spare connectors off the shelf, extracted 5 pins, soldier and heat shrinked in place and fired up the car.

Still have to install an O2 sensor and connector, knock sensor is broken off and several connectors have to redone to my satisfaction but at least we have a heartbeat at this point. Engine sounds ok but the fan doesn't work (failed ATM test) and I don't see coolant in the radiator. Still have a bunch of wiring stuff to chase down too.

Still, that's some nice progress from what you started with! You got skills!
    It took me almost 2 weeks to figure out i had a bad ignition coil. But it made me go through so many things i found a few other issues.
    Wayne H.

Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast