Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: 1987 CSX for SDAC 2015

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Re: 1987 CSX for SDAC 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    there is a non cd version. dont remember the part number but i saw it when searching for mine.

i have kids cds to play in the van still for the younguns lol. and my wife has cds she likes to listen to. still need CD format for a little while yet.

most of the time i use bluetooth audio to play tunes from my phone.

Brian
    Very easy to rip to MP3 format with a program like FreeRip, it will even name the tracks for you.

Busy day yesterday, spent several hours on the Rampage fixing things, knocking the rough edges off... turning into a nice vehicle.

Working on clearing the decks.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Very easy to rip to MP3 format with a program like FreeRip, it will even name the tracks for you.

Busy day yesterday, spent several hours on the Rampage fixing things, knocking the rough edges off... turning into a nice vehicle.
    oh i know. im not real organized or that fussy lol. i have cds here and scads of mp3's there lol.

in my reliant ill get the data only version.

either way, my point in posting that unit was based on the bluetooth comment a few posts back. its super convenient, and with the external mic mounted in the vehicle, it really pics up voices well when talking on the phone with little fuss. my 2 year old daughter can talk to grandma when they call with ease.

cd bits aside, a modern unit with wireless connectivity to a phone makes life that much easier.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    cd bits aside, a modern unit with wireless connectivity to a phone makes life that much easier.

Brian
    Ah

I'm old and still use dumb phones that are almost impossible to break. My current phone is 11 years old and has been in a lake, dropped more time than I can count and thrown at walls and still is plugging along.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Ah

I'm old and still use dumb phones that are almost impossible to break. My current phone is 11 years old and has been in a lake, dropped more time than I can count and thrown at walls and still is plugging along.
    gotcha. yeah i dove into the smartphone arena in 2012 and will never go back (unless finances or SHTF dictate lol). havent broken one yet and i always buy a phone that isnt totally cutting edge to keep it cheap and/or buy lightly used phones. im easy on phones though. i barely scratch them even. front pocket screen to the thigh. put them in safe places when im doing unsafe things lol.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Faith and I took the CSX out for a long drive to nowhere this afternoon. The roads were dry, weather nice and we are going stir crazy. After swapping out the power module (I still have a few more to test, finally had one that failed and the car skipped like crazy) we drove along the shoreline till we ended up at some hole in the wall restaurant where we had a pleasant meal and adult conversation.

All in all a nice way to end the weekend.

Well that sucked.

Pulled the defective EGT probe out to replace with a new one I purchased in December and the new one is junk. Just my luck.

The Ebay vendor of course wants nothing to do with it since it was purchased in December.

Know anywhere to buy a decent screw in EGT probe k-type?

Gary

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Have you looked into Omega? We get a lot of temperature reading parts from there at my work
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shmedley View Post
    Have you looked into Omega? We get a lot of temperature reading parts from there at my work
    They're only about an hour and a half away from you Gary!
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    They're only about an hour and a half away from you Gary!
    The phone is even closer =)

I don't need anything special, its just a standard k-type with 4mm probe in a 1/8" NPT collar with a brass ferrule to set the depth.

For the moment I'm going to leave it be as I have other things on my plate. I had a few hours to kill on Sunday and thought I'd get it swapped out.. This week we are going to try and get the boys engine ready to be dropped in their car.

Gary

Mitsu booster

I just read all 37 pages of this thread, over 2 days of course haha

What an inspiration! I'm having some trouble with my CSX and I'm pumped to keep poking a it now!

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS6 View Post
    I just read all 37 pages of this thread, over 2 days of course haha

What an inspiration! I'm having some trouble with my CSX and I'm pumped to keep poking a it now!
    Keep plugging along, you can do it!

Made a brace for the upper intercooler pipe the other day. The upper hose was expanding so much that is was causing the 5th injector to rub on the valve cover! I used an old turbo support bracket from a mitsu turbo. Chopped it down, welded to the pipe and it attached to the head in the same spot as the intake support brace.

Drove it to work yesterday, nice-nice. I wish you could get new window weatherstripping though as there is some air leaks.

Gary

Due to unforeseen circumstance I have ANOTHER CSX here are The Dodge Garage.

Local Navy guy broke down and had to ship out to Hawaii and left his car (88 CSX-T) behind since it died on the highway. Turns out the oil pump and intermediate shaft went south hardcore. The father has agreed to have me replace the shaft and pump but no guarantees of engine condition. Engine is in tough shape, bad oil and coolant leaks. Might be throwing good money after bad but we will find out in a week or two when I free up some time to do the job.

turbo addict

I thought the intermediate shaft/oil pump issue was a 91+ only issue due to metalurgy in the shafts???? Now this 88 and my friends 89 Caravan inside of a week have had this happen. Is the shaft fine and just need to replace the pump? Can you get new shafts?

Shaft is junk and you can't get new shafts.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Warren Stramer has posted many times about his findings with the intermediate shafts and the same conclusion comes up every time, there ALL garbage construction.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Warren Stramer has posted many times about his findings with the intermediate shafts and the same conclusion comes up every time, there ALL garbage construction.
    What I find interesting as a tech I never experienced a single failure of the gear on the line. Now I see them all the time.

I'm wondering if something in the oil available today is missing an additive the is exacerbating a borderline condition?

They have reduced the "zinc" in the oil, causes major problems with the flat tappet cam guys running V8's.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

What I find interesting as a tech I never experienced a single failure of the gear on the line. Now I see them all the time.

I'm wondering if something in the oil available today is missing an additive the is exacerbating a borderline condition?

They have reduced the "zinc" in the oil, causes major problems with the flat tappet cam guys running V8's.
    I'm convinced that this is the reason why I've seen stock slider cams worn severely along with some of the oil pump/int. shaft failures and even some transmission failures over the last few years.

boostaholic

I've had fleeting ideas of creating a billet int shaft

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-04-03 13.02.42.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	640.6 KB 
ID:	57815Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-04-03 13.02.18.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	630.5 KB 
ID:	57814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-04-03 13.02.53.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	729.7 KB 
ID:	57813

Due to unforeseen circumstance I have ANOTHER CSX here are The Dodge Garage.

Local Navy guy broke down and had to ship out to Hawaii and left his car (88 CSX-T) behind since it died on the highway. Turns out the oil pump and intermediate shaft went south hardcore. The father has agreed to have me replace the shaft and pump but no guarantees of engine condition. Engine is in tough shape, bad oil and coolant leaks. Might be throwing good money after bad but we will find out in a week or two when I free up some time to do the job.
    Update on this CSX-T- We rolled it in the garage ahead of a snowstorm pelting us today and dropped the pan this morning, shaft is well and truly borked.

Going to order an oil pump and pull a spare shaft out my stash to get it up and running.

Gary

CSX-T update- Engine is trashed, waiting to hear back from owner.

CSX #193 update- Strongly considering replacing CSX with another k-car. If a clean 2-dr Reliant/Aries presents itself... then its time to part company. I really want to build another Reliant street car while working on getting Relentless track ready again.