Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: 1987 CSX for SDAC 2015

boostaholic

Re: 1987 CSX for SDAC 2015

You figure out a way to run turbonator cals on an ac car? They wont work on my ac car

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Light night after a killer day at work.

Adjusted the headlamps and fixed some wiring under the hood for the a/c clutch, adjusted the belt and tossed 2 cans of freon in. Not sure if the system is holding or not will find out on the way to work tomorrow.

Loaded MPtune for the first time and poked around a bit, think I have a headache. Bad memories of pouring over hours of code.

Pulled my notes and Winhex off a thumbdrive, fool about tomorrow when I have more energy.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
    You figure out a way to run turbonator cals on an ac car? They wont work on my ac car
    You have to start with a template that has AC enabled...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
    I have a lot of poking around to do before picking up new tools. I started doing cals using Winhex and calculating tables with a Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet.

Working with Geoff, Chem came out which was my major tool for modifying tables.

Its 2AM, why am I awake. ugh.

Working on clearing the decks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-06-30 04.26.17.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	55379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-06-30 05.15.48.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	55380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-06-30 05.15.31.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	55381

Rusty but coming back to me now.

Chem version is 1.65, is there a way to convert the Chem files over something MPtuner can utilize?

And will MPTuner work with a factory calibration?

Sorry for the questions, just running out of time to research...

So far I have 5 modules setup- Stock, Stock no overboost, MP stage II no overboost, RP stage III no overboost and stock with no overboost and with 4 degrees pull out of the GOV table (23 total advance vs 27)

If I had time I'd obtain another laptop with printer port and run the Romulator.

Still pings a little with the retard module!

I need to go for a road test tonight with the scanner hooked up and see whats going on there.

Chem version is 1.65, is there a way to convert the Chem files over something MPtuner can utilize?
    I don't think you can do this easily.

And will MPTuner work with a factory calibration?
    Yes, I can send you a .mpt file that will let you read a stock-based cal in MP Tune. What Cal ID (last 3 digits of the PN) is your cal based on? I'll send you 2-bar and 3-bar .mpt files. You'll just have to change the file name to match your .bin file.

When you go to open a cal in MP Tune, it defaults to looking for a .tpl file. You just need to change it to look for a .bin file (lower RH corner, near the 'Open' button).
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    What Cal ID (last 3 digits of the PN) is your cal based on?
    Don't quote me but for some reason "171" sticks in my head. Not a big deal, I can check when I get home.

Most of the files I have I labeled in the following format "87_turbo_2_stock.bin" or '87_turbo_2_with_89_wsg.bin" and so on.

Still looking for a pile of my notes.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Gary,

I would highly recommend checking out the Turbonator-LM stuff. It's so good right out of the box that I ditched all my Chem/Dcal stuff and went over to it. Everything is better and there is much more that it's capable of.

Gary - here is a .mpt file that you should be able to use with any stock binary based T2 LM cal (171, 671 Stage II, etc.). The table scales will be wrong for 3-bar or bigger injectors, so it would need some manual tweaking to work for those.

You will need to change the name of this file to match whatever binary you want to use it with.

Ignore the error you get when it loads. The LM doesn't support the MDLCDE that the DRBII (SMEC +) do. But, MP Tune looks for it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Gary,

I second snagging the Turbonator LM base cal files and starting with that. Its so much easier than the old days of sitting there copying and pasting tables in hex and changing the table point amount so you could add points or moving the tables to a different location so there was room etc.... and scaling each table manually.... ugh.

once you get through the small learning curve of using the software, its a breeze to make a new cal or making changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    You have to start with a template that has AC enabled...
    hey Rob, does the 2.5 MTX base TLM cal have the AC enabled?

thanks

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    hey Rob, does the 2.5 MTX base TLM cal have the AC enabled?

Brian
    All the LM cals have AC enabled as far as I can tell. There's only the 171 and 671 (stage 2) cals.

The SMEC T1 code has a ton more variations. Not entirely sure why they bothered to make calibrations specifically without AC. It should be same as when the AC is simply off.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Gary,

I second snagging the Turbonator LM base cal files and starting with that.
    Too be honest, my strongest point when doing calibrations were spark and fuel. I'll hone fuel and spark tables till the car runs perfect and the only tools I need are ones that will let me make those changes. Everything else is just gravy. I don't mind changing values like overboost and fan tables in hex either, almost prefer it actually.

I'll dink around with both Turbonator and MPtuner till I'm comfortable with one or the other, not in a hurry as I'm only making minor changes with the CSX and the Reliant is going to be aftermarket crank triggered.

I am kicking around the idea of a mobile tuning service/troubleshooter for hire so brushing up would be in my best interest but I still have to give that more thought.

Changed out the shifter on the car tonight and it shifts MUCH better. Also back from a road test, I can clearly hear it pinging but the scanner shows nothing. Going to test the line to the LM and the knock sensor after dinner. One or the other is out the window.

Well, well well. More progress!

Sensor test showed the knock sensor putting out squat for voltage. Installed another from the race box and rapped on the intake a few times showed nice voltage spikes.

The one module I was road testing with had a fault code for fan relay not responding, turned out to be a bad LM. I'll have to trace the board out and see if I can fix the driver circuit, I have a few TBI boards I can rob parts from.

Road test- With the hot RP Stage III module the scanner showed cylinder 3 being retarded like mad at 11 psi. Dialing the boost up to 15 psi showed the timing being sucked back with a peak of 10 degrees but the other cylinders strangely silent save number 1 which saw a degree or two at that boost level.

Cylinder 3 is clearly the problem child and my next step is to pop out the rail and do an injector spray test to see if the pattern is good. Even if it is, I may replace the injector on general princible.

Too be honest, my strongest point when doing calibrations were spark and fuel. I'll hone fuel and spark tables till the car runs perfect and the only tools I need are ones that will let me make those changes. Everything else is just gravy. I don't mind changing values like overboost and fan tables in hex either, almost prefer it actually.

I'll dink around with both Turbonator and MPtuner till I'm comfortable with one or the other, not in a hurry as I'm only making minor changes with the CSX and the Reliant is going to be aftermarket crank triggered.

I am kicking around the idea of a mobile tuning service/troubleshooter for hire so brushing up would be in my best interest but I still have to give that more thought.

Changed out the shifter on the car tonight and it shifts MUCH better. Also back from a road test, I can clearly hear it pinging but the scanner shows nothing. Going to test the line to the LM and the knock sensor after dinner. One or the other is out the window.
    yeah things like overboost are cake in hex. FF. done. but adding additional break points for a trouble spot are so much easier in MPTuner. Right click, insert point. done.

yeah im afraid of cars blowing up on me when tuning... id rather make a safe base cal and show them how to manipulate the 6 or so tables that really need dialed in to make it perfect.

well either way, its fun stuff to play with.

you know what system you are going to use on the reliant?

Well, well well. More progress!

Sensor test showed the knock sensor putting out squat for voltage. Installed another from the race box and rapped on the intake a few times showed nice voltage spikes.

The one module I was road testing with had a fault code for fan relay not responding, turned out to be a bad LM. I'll have to trace the board out and see if I can fix the driver circuit, I have a few TBI boards I can rob parts from.

Road test- With the hot RP Stage III module the scanner showed cylinder 3 being retarded like mad at 11 psi. Dialing the boost up to 15 psi showed the timing being sucked back with a peak of 10 degrees but the other cylinders strangely silent save number 1 which saw a degree or two at that boost level.

Cylinder 3 is clearly the problem child and my next step is to pop out the rail and do an injector spray test to see if the pattern is good. Even if it is, I may replace the injector on general princible.
    Good deal. hopefully an injector solves it and its that simple.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

you know what system you are going to use on the reliant?

Good deal. hopefully an injector solves it and its that simple.

Brian
    1) Not yet. I'm toying with the idea of MS3 as I have another project that might go that route and it will be good experiance.

2) Not much else it could be- The one cylinder is so off in the weeds compared to the others it has to be an injector. Compression is even and 15 psi on that cal with the gas that is in it should be childs play. I use to hit 20 psi on 87 octane with my Daytona, the CSX has no real reason for pinging.

1) Not yet. I'm toying with the idea of MS3 as I have another project that might go that route and it will be good experiance..
    I want to put a ms2 based microsquirt on my 82 gs1100e. I have alot of the stuff to do it so far.

The knock control on the MS3 with the add on dsp board and the newer sensors looks killer. I'd love to try that out. Sad thing is that some of the features of the current ms knock control we've had stock since 85 lol.

2) Not much else it could be- The one cylinder is so off in the weeds compared to the others it has to be an injector. Compression is even and 15 psi on that cal with the gas that is in it should be childs play. I use to hit 20 psi on 87 octane with my Daytona, the CSX has no real reason for pinging.
    20 on 87 lol. I'm not that brave. I did 25 on 93 on the 2.5 in my reliant on the street alot but I was dousing it with windshield washer fluid and I reduced the timing in the cal a bit.

Brian

This CSX is truly the Car. From. Hell.

Pouring rain out this morning, car has been sitting in the driveway getting soaked (a good test for water leaks) I pop in hit the key, it fired right up.

Hit the wipers, they make two sweeps and go "thunk" and stop.

sigh.

Wiper transmission has two new bushings, I'll guess I'll scope it out when I get home.

Try just grounding the wiper motor to the body. Had that happen multiple times and it's been a grounding issue every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Try just grounding the wiper motor to the body. Had that happen multiple times and it's been a grounding issue every time.
    Motor was still running, I could hear it. Has to be the bushing at the motor (both wipers stopped moving) or the arm fell off the motor itself.

Of course it was...

If it makes you feel better, the wiper motor, linkage, etc for my car is still in the shed!