Thread: turbo support bracket question

Garrett booster

turbo support bracket question

This is prolly a pretty dumb question, but does the bolt to the block on the turbo support bracket block oil from exiting the block or am I looking more at a hose not connected properly? I swapped to t2 head and now have a massive leak on the back side of the motor, on the passenger sideish area.
    Steve 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger Intercooling now 1986 Chrysler Laser XT RIP 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby T2 RIP 1965 Chevy Malibu SS SOLD! 2005 Dodge Ram Rumble Bee #3112 On to new owner 2011 Dodge Charger Rallye Gone 2013 Dodge Journey AWD DD

Hybrid booster

Re: turbo support bracket question

No, the bolt does not. I would look at the valve cover gasket leaking on the passenger side. See if you can find the oil leak on as far up as possible.

greg

Garrett booster

ok, but this is a massive oil leak im talking 1 foot puddle under the car...also, brand new gasket 1 piece rubber

also, isn't there an oil return hose over there or is that coolant on that side?
    it seems like its coming from right around the power steering pump area
    Last edited by Purpleskunk; 04-26-2015 at 09:03 AM.
    Steve 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger Intercooling now 1986 Chrysler Laser XT RIP 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby T2 RIP 1965 Chevy Malibu SS SOLD! 2005 Dodge Ram Rumble Bee #3112 On to new owner 2011 Dodge Charger Rallye Gone 2013 Dodge Journey AWD DD

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

It should be relatively easy to spot a leak coming from the turbo oil return. The feed would be decently easy to spot also for that matter. I bet you're on the right track with the PS pump. Can you tell that it's PS fluid? It's got a different feel than motor oil for the most part.

Garrett booster

I cant tell, looks like oil tho, I haven't messed with the power steering pump at all tho, so I don't understand why it would leak, but ill try to check it out when I can, at work now so maybe between calls or at lunch break I will check it out

Its definitely in that area tho

Garrett booster

Ok so the majority of the pooling under the car is from almost directly under the turbo... any ideas on what I need to look for?

IMO there are three areas of concern.

1. Oil return from turbo. Clean the area thoroughly and check it out. It should be quite apparent if it is coming from there. Very easy to see.

2. Oil supply to turbo. You'll probably want to remove the WG can and clean up there very well. It should be relatively easy to see.

3. Manifold/VC area. This will be the hardest area to track down. If it's not coming from the back of the VC( I hope you didn't use the cork that comes with the early gaskets) then there is a possibility that it could be coming from the intake manifold bolt holes. I believe that a couple of them go into the oil galley. I always uses some sort of sealer on all intake and exhaust manifold bolts since I can never remember which ones actually go into the galley.

Hybrid booster

Cordes is spot on with common oil leak areas.
    Coolant line on back of block by power steering pump. There is a bolt on the left side of head that also will leak if not sealed.
    hope you find it.
    greg

Garrett booster

After searching for this leak all night, and picking brains and posts, it is sounding now like the cam seal behind the pulley is bad...drove the car last night about 60 miles round trip, started out ok, then blue smoke out back at all kinds of odd times while driving. Park it at a friend's house last night and all the oil is on the passenger side now and the holes on the cam pulley show a lot of moisture from the back to the front...

The smoke coming and going is a classic symptom of a turbo going bad. Check the plugs to see if they are oil fouled. If not, I would highly suspect the turbine seal.

It sounds to me like you may have a lot of leakage going on from one spot that's spreading out. I would get a couple cans of carb cleaner and douche everything thoroughly. Then fire her up and look around for the source of the problem.

Garrett booster

that's next on the list

hopefully the turbo isn't going but it wouldn't surprise me...
    Also, the smoke seems worst on initial start up, then on decel when I had a similar issue in my old Malibu ss, there was a baffle missing somewhere, cant remember where, but the smoking issue really only started when I put the t2 style valve cover on... im hoping that the valve cover being old, and repaired in not so fashionable ways has something to do with the problem...I have a Shelby valve cover coming my way soon so I will try that one and see what happens. Ill not be doing much here soon as I'll be out of town for a while, but I will keep up the updates as I can.

Garrett booster

Ok...so the cam seal fixed the oil hemorrhage...but now it is like the oil system is pressurized. Right before it started smoking real bad i changed from the old valve cover to the new style, and before the switch, oil would stay in the cover and not come out of the oil fill. Now oil is coming out off the fill and its smoking a LOT! Hoping this isn't a turbo problem. Smoke starts really bad when the car is first started...then when you give it a little gas, grey then blue smoke, after a little drive of embarrassment with the smoke, it only smokes a little under power, but really let's a cloud of blue smoke when you shift...

Ideas?

boostaholic

Time for a leakdown test and a compression test. Must rule out a bottom end issue.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Kind of sounds to me like the PCV valve isn't plumbed correctly. Especially since the issue seems to have started after you changed the valve cover. It's not evacuating pressure from the crankcase like it should. Double check your PCV hose routing. The PCV needs to go to the manifold, and the T needs to go to the air filter housing. At idle, you should be getting good vacuum at the PCV valve. Under boost, the T in front of the PCV valve should be letting pressure go to the air fliter housing.

If that checks out OK, I'd follow going4speed's recommendation, and do a leak down test...

Garrett booster

Im going to try to go back to the breather set up i had on the old cover...i don't run a factory air box so i just had a pvc hooked to the end of a hose

Hybrid booster

Pull the intake off to the turbo, you can then physically check the turbo compressor wheel. There should be little to no movement up and down. If you can feel it move good chance turbo needs a rebuild.
    greg

Garrett booster

I'm at a loss lol...pvc helped, smoke not as bad. However everything felt strong just 2 weeks ago...then i put the new style valve cover, spring a leak at the cam seal, car still ran strong but lost all but a quart and a half of oil and smoked like crazy...New cam seal stops leak, pvc fix helps smoke, but now no power from turbo at all...every once in a while when i risk running up in the rpm, i hear some pressure release from the bov...but very little.could the timing cause any of this or a am i looking at a much bigger problem to fix?

As soon as i find my compression tester, that is next...

Hybrid booster

i'd switch back to the old valve cover, maybe something is wrong with the breather setup inside the current one

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by unluckyty View Post
    Pull the intake off to the turbo, you can then physically check the turbo compressor wheel. There should be little to no movement up and down. If you can feel it move good chance turbo needs a rebuild.
    greg
    I had checked this prior to installation, however will check again now that I have little to no boost from the turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    i'd switch back to the old valve cover, maybe something is wrong with the breather setup inside the current one
    I had considered that, however, I have used two different t2 style covers, both of which were fine on other motors...I'm really starting to think that the turbo may be the culprit as it was sitting with the newer style head and components for something close to 7 years off a car... I'm thinking that the seals having dried out and now "re-moistened" are not holding...

turbo addict

Detail pictures of your setup please.