Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staging Brake

Hybrid booster

Staging Brake

Is anyone using the CNC staging brake, or equivalent, in their cars? I'm looking into getting one for the Omni but there are few write ups on the install and I'm a little confused on how I can lock up ONLY the rear brakes during a burnout with them. Thanks!

turbo addict

Re: Staging Brake

if it's anything like a hurst line lock you would simply install it on the lines comeiing outta the prop valve that go to the rear brakes instead of the fronts

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q...OKyCsQSW54D4Dg

Hybrid booster

Well I went ahead and ordered a hydraulic e-brake that I will use in conjunction with the cable e-brake. By that I mean that the cable e-brake will primarily be used as the parking brake and the hydro-brake will be used for staging, pre-loading, burnouts, etc at the track. I suppose I will make a how-to write up and video on how to do it for anyone else that wants to use it

turbo addict

Got a link to what you bought?

Hybrid booster

Yes I do! I wanted to get the CNC version, but I couldn't find anywhere that had one, even on eBay. So I found the one that was recommended to me by a friend of mine who got one for his drag CRX.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231430763606...606%26_rdc%3D1

Hybrid booster

Heres the exact one that was recommended to me. As you can see, it's fairly tall and a good decent size.

turbo addict

Might be a little tricky on our cars. All modern cars have two separate circuits for the brake system, so if something fails you do not loose all your brakes. Most just have a front circuit and rear circuit. That makes this easy to install because you just tap into the rear. Our cars however use a "X" system. One circuit is the drivers front and pass rear. The other is the opposite. So you can't just tie into the rear system. Your going to have to separate them somehow. The other option, if you have rear discs is to add another set of rear calipers. I saw on another post you are planning on going all out racecar with this omni. If it was me I would probably delete the booster, go to a aftermarket MC and completely replumb the brakes to a front/rear setup. No matter what you do it's going to be a lot of work.

Any reason you can't accomplish what your wanting to do with just the e brake?

Hybrid booster

The e brake that's on there now, I've tried many times to get adjusted and to make it work, but it just keeps stretching and it only locks up one tire, barely at that. Everytime I try to do a burnout, even in the waterbox in second, the tires will roll, not slide. I cant get the slicks hot enough. So im going hydraulic because it can put alot more pressure to hold the car still

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Shadow said he had installed one after I bugged him to do it. He never shared any pictures and I don't think he liked using it.

You can nix the safety stuff. Could.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

You can make it work, you just have to redo the brake lines, instead of the factory X setup, you just change it like all the other cars, one side of the MC does the front, the other does the rear.

Nice find, looks like something off F and F,

Edit, that would be a nice way to add a handle type e-brake, get rid of the foot pedal.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

I'm wondering how I can change the braking system from the X-pattern to Front/Rear. Arent there 4 independant lines? And cant i just tap into the 2 lines in the rear? Anyone got a brake routing diagram?? lol

Its an X, durr, lol. Seriously though, the factory does LF and RR, RF and LR, using one port on the MC to feed each circuit, so you have to redo it so its LF/RF and LR/RR. Not really that hard, just time consuming.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Does that mess the brake bias up If I switched the lines around like that?

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedDrummer View Post
    Does that mess the brake bias up If I switched the lines around like that?
    Why would it? The prop valve does the biasing, not the MC.

Hybrid booster

I need a picture of the MC, I have one but theres a disconnect to the image im thinking in my head... lol

Hybrid booster

Ok, heres the exact MC that I have on the Omni. Its a 24mm, with the stamped "4" on it, from an '89 Shelby Daytona. I see only 2 lines running down to the prop valve. Do I just swap those two around??

You don't swap them, then you simply change the X pattern, lol. Let me go look at a car and I'll get back to you.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Might have to run new lines... The prop valve will break off, one to the front right, and rear left, with the other going to the front left and rear right (or is is vice-versa?).

For this to function properly, you'll need to feed only the rear/only the front.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

I'm still confused haha. Can't I just tee into the rear lines at the back of the car? This staging brake is supposed to be an in-line brake.. I think.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedDrummer View Post
    I'm still confused haha. Can't I just tee into the rear lines at the back of the car? This staging brake is supposed to be an in-line brake.. I think.
    I can't see that working. When you put pressure on the hand brake, it will just pump fluid into the MC.

I thought this was intended to be used with additional calipers. Not the same caliper as the main brake.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast