Thread: 1991 Shadow convertible questions

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

1991 Shadow convertible questions

Hello Gents,

I just had some basic questions, feel free and thank you in advance.

1. Did the 1991 Shadow convertible come with an interior headliner, such as the Lebarons and Sebrings? Or did they just have the cheap top and when you looked at it from inside, you see the without a headliner?

2. If it did not come with a convertible top headliner, can a aftermarket one be fabricated through professional service shops?

3. When sitting in the car, I and my girlfriend started itching like crazy and I think it has some kind of microscopic insect problem, as I received several bite marks. I investigated and cannot find any infestation however. I had the car entirely shampooed, but that did not do the trick. With that said, what recommendations do you all have or have heard of a similar situation such as this?

4. The factory Chrysler radio went dead, all fuses and power sources are good and hot. All checked out with an ohm meter, and even tried a second factory radio. Anybody, ever run into something like this and if so what was the resolution?

turbo addict

Re: 1991 Shadow convertible questions

I bought 2 parts cars that were convertibles that had been sitting for at least 5 years outside in Florida. Before I even touched them to clean them I bough bug bombs and bombed them both.

How is the top condition on the car? I wonder if the fibers of the top are coming off from it degrading and causing an allergic reaction?

What do you mean the radio went "dead"? You mention check power, so it makes me think it won't power up, but it also could be that it jsut doesn't put any sound out, so just looking for clarification.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

No headliners in those cars. It was entry level. Not sure you can add one easily, it is already a high stack, might not work.

Reaper, thanks for the info on the top, yeah I am really thinking it may be a combo of deterioration of fiber and perhaps a micro size bug. The bites are not all over, but they are for sure from something small and living. As far as the radio, my dad and I unplugged and the constant power is active. Everything is getting 12 volts with the meter. My dad is very crafty and a sharp troubleshooter, and it's eluding him at the moment. We will get it figured out however, probably will install a new on the market radio from Kenwood.

Cool V, good Sir, thank you for input also.

turbo addict

Check the ground. There is also a switched 12V source that is activated by the key switch.

I forgot to mention that after a bombed those 2 cars I cleaned them out VERY well with diluted bleach water, then wiped everything off again with just a wetted towel. Those chemicals are nasty. I just set the bug bomb on the center console, rolled up the windows, set it off, shut the doors and walked away. Came back the next day to clean up the mess.

Reaper, what brand bug bomb did you use? Also, I will check into the switched 12v source.

- - - Updated - - -

I am trying to avoid a minimum $300-$400 fee for steam cleaning the interior.

turbo addict

I think it was Raid or Black Flag...I don't remember. This was a pretty long time ago.

Cool, I am going to bomb the car also.