Thread: Diesel additives

turbo addict

Diesel additives

I'm usually the first to knock down the claims of "snake oil" additives in anything but the first gen cummins I bought recently has always had a weird rattle to it. A rattle above an beyond the normal 12v clatter. There was one cylinder in particular that was extremely loud. Any type of load or RPM would make the rattle/knock more apparent and was bad enough that I thought wrist pins or rod bearings. I would hear the knock echo off of jersey barriers on the highway even.

I was in the farm store looking around and I was in the oil isle, I was reading some of the bottles just for the entertainment and I found a bottle of this.

http://www.hotshotsecret.com/shop/diesel-extreme/

I thought, why not, its worth a shot. I was already in the market for a set of injectors to fix the problem so whats 25 bucks.

Today I filled up and actually put in 32 oz (Brain fart, somehow thought 16oz was a quart). I am absolutely thrilled how it worked. Before I even got on the highway from the gas station I was noticing a difference. By the time I got home (20 miles) it was a whole new truck, I just can't believe it. I had a slight lope at idle hot and that's gone. The knocks and clatter is gone. The turbo spools sooner, and a lot less throttle is needed now. Definitely a believer already...
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

Re: Diesel additives

The older diesel injectors were dependent on the fuel for lubrication. Now that most of that is removed from the fuel, the older diesels suffer from lack lubricity. An additive is your friend.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I prefer Opti-lube, followed by Powerservice. I'll dig up the testing that was done. Also, synthetic 2 stroke oil also works, TC3.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

I use Hot Shot in my fuel oil for my furnace. My Oil delivery company added a 16 on a very cold day and charged me a premium 20 bucks for it. I did some quick research and found it local bought in quantity and got it at 40 a gallon.

In my new tank (now three years old) no sludge water or anything in my filters. Repair guy likes what he sees.

So it seems to work in my case
    Gene

Hybrid booster

I was working on a POS ford 6.0 diesel the other day and was reading about this hotshot stuff, the ford guys seem to like it a lot. I didn't give it a shot though, I had an injector too far gone so replacement was necessary.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I've been using Stanadyne performance formula for 14 years. It is one of the few additives approved by Cummins. Most of your big rig service/repair shops carry it. When they switched to the low sulfur diesel I had a tough time finding it, the place I always get it from said the companies with fleet vehicles were buying it by the barrel. I used it on my first '02 at every fill-up and never had a jelling issue, injector or injection pump problem for 340K miles (the lift pump was a different story), sold it to my neighbor and he has put another 30K on it with no problems. The second '02 I bought was running rough at 89K when I got it, started using the Stanadyne, cleared up the idle and now at 170K it runs great.

turbo addict

Mopar has a diesel fuel system cleaner as well. I've used it before on a new diesel that was making way too much soot.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor Lee'sdaytona's Avatar

Gents,
    I bought an 02 Cummins back in March. My buddy keeps telling me I need to use additive for the low sulfur problem in today's diesel fuel. What do you guys recommend for my engine and where do I get it?
    Does this additive need to be run at every fill up?
    Thanks,
    Lee

turbo addict

Standyne is what I use now, 8oz at every fill up. Available at autozone.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor Lee'sdaytona's Avatar

Thanks!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Lee your 02 is a VP44 injection pump. Those are known to fail nowadays because of the low sulfer fuel. run an additive ! also get a fuel pressure gauge installed in your fuel filter housing so you can be sure your lift pump is priming the injection pump. 15-20 psi is what you should be seeing. I run the walmart 2 stroke and it comes in these awsome small bottles that fit perfectly in the door cubby hole pockets and 1 small bottle is good for 1/2 tank in my truck
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on