Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A BMF intake for TIII's

turbo addict

A BMF intake for TIII's

For anyone that doesn't know, I make the BMF intake for the 2.2/2.5 8V. Its a big plenum, short/fat runner aluminum intake that sells for $572 shipped, fully welded.

I would also like to make something similar for the TIII. But what the BMF has taught me is that the design process for an intake manifold like this takes months of full time work. There is just no way I can do it at anywhere near the same price, and I would need alot of orders.

But I don't know anything about the TIII's or what you guys would be happy to pay, and how many of you there would be.

Basically, since the design would be from scratch, we'd start the discussion of what your "dream" intake would be, and work our way back to what I could produce at what price. But ball park, its going to be more like $900 each fully welded. Maybe less but I dont want to get anyones hopes up.And I would need a couple dozen orders. Does that sound realistic or is it a showstopper?

Heres specs and info on the BMF----> http://www.exoticelectron.com/bmf_intake.html

Remember! I want to do this. So I would try and find a way to make everyones needs meet up here, including mine. Price is just one piece of that.

Hybrid booster

Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

I'm no expert TIII guy, but from what I've seen is that most of the "heavy hitters" already have custom intake manifolds, and the TIII is a very small part of the turbo Mopar world. I'd love to be able to tell folks that I have a "BMF" under my hood but I don't think you are going to find the numbers and price point to bring it to reality. But I know you'd make a quality piece if you were to make it!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Wastelands Warrior View Post
    I'm no expert TIII guy, but from what I've seen is that most of the "heavy hitters" already have custom intake manifolds, and the TIII is a very small part of the turbo Mopar world. I'd love to be able to tell folks that I have a "BMF" under my hood but I don't think you are going to find the numbers and price point to bring it to reality. But I know you'd make a quality piece if you were to make it!
    I would imagine they do, but then again you could say the same thing about the 8V world. I might be able to offer something in the design that goes to the next level or allows some kind of other sort of benefit, you never know. Also the price might be alot less than I put, it really depends on alot of factors and I dont know much about the TIII.

Also since the TIII is special the intake could get its own name too.

turbo addict

How similar would a TIII intake be to an 8V intake? I mean generally. Like is it basically the same thing just changing the lengths/port shapes, etc..? I am assuming absolute worst case where basically nothing I learned from the BMF design process or manufacturing would apply. But really thats probably not true right.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

You have a lot more room to work with. I would think that it would be easier to design. Lonewolf Performance ( guess they are still open ) makes a manifold but I never priced one.

RDI performance made/sold a huge plenum short runner intake many years ago

boostaholic

I really don't see you selling enough of these to make it worth your while, but I may be wrong I often am. I made four TIII intakes a few years ago, had trouble selling those for $800 and that even included the -10 fuel rail. Now the low quantity didn't really didn't matter to me, since the reason for making them was to make one for my car, so I really only sold three of them.

2 major issues I ran into are. It will be hard to machine a TIII intake efficiently and still retain the factory A/C compressor. My car is more of a drag car so this did consern me, and maybe that had some effect on the low interest when I made them. 2nd issue is a very short runner length due to the plenum hitting the hood. You may be able to overcome this by making a different shaped plenum, or smaller diameter plenum simaller to the Lonewolf intake. L body's are the tightest, so if you can fit it in a L body it should fit in anything else.

Good luck with the project
    Adam

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    I really don't see you selling enough of these to make it worth your while, but I may be wrong I often am. I made four TIII intakes a few years ago, had trouble selling those for $800 and that even included the -10 fuel rail. Now the low quantity didn't really didn't matter to me, since the reason for making them was to make one for my car, so I really only sold three of them.

2 major issues I ran into are. It will be hard to machine a TIII intake efficiently and still retain the factory A/C compressor. My car is more of a drag car so this did consern me, and maybe that had some effect on the low interest when I made them. 2nd issue is a very short runner length due to the plenum hitting the hood. You may be able to overcome this by making a different shaped plenum, or smaller diameter plenum simaller to the Lonewolf intake. L body's are the tightest, so if you can fit it in a L body it should fit in anything else.

Good luck with the project
    Adam

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Yay Lengel finally posted in one of my threads!!

Ya I figured it was a long shot with these, I keep getting told the TIII crowd wants things but then nobody shows up.

Also I forgot about the Lonewolf / RDI intakes..looks like this has already been done then..

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I would certainly buy one. I have a couple friends in town with high HP TIII builds and I will tell them about this thread.

If I got one, I'd want L-body compatibility and also the option of having the throttle body on the passenger side. I live in WY so I could care less about AC.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I would certainly buy one. I have a couple friends in town with high HP TIII builds and I will tell them about this thread.

If I got one, I'd want L-body compatibility and also the option of having the throttle body on the passenger side. I live in WY so I could care less about AC.
    Excellent!! (rubs hands together and laughs maniacally)

Lets begin the dream list...

(default things first)
    -big plenum
    -short fat runners
    -big throttle body compatibility out-of-box (if applicable)
    -near stock fitment with minimal if any fab work needed to install

note that I'm not saying people on the list below want an intake, just trying to keep track of how many people want what specs or think what specs are needed

1. L-body fitment (lengel, iTurbo)
    2. throttle on passenger side (iTurbo)
    3. attention to runners not being too short (lengel)
    4. compatibility with keeping A/C compressor (lengel)
    5. price somewhere between $572 and $900 shipped..TBD (acannell)
    6. a couple dozen orders, depends on many factors though (acannell)

should probably flesh out what the performance specs need to be ...after all the point of this is to make something that has some major potential and/or performance improvement. So plenum size, runner size, throttle size etc..etc..

You can add me to the very interested list.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by karlak View Post
    You can add me to the very interested list.
    cool, remember to chime in with ideas/opinions etc..this is a crowd designed item..im just the machinist

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Needs to support 7k rpm on a 2.5 liter TIII That would probably make me interested in one for my Lebaron ... Keeping the AC compressor would be something I want though.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Needs to support 7k rpm on a 2.5 liter TIII That would probably make me interested in one for my Lebaron ... Keeping the AC compressor would be something I want though.
    Would the 7k rpm requirement make overall design roughly bigger than the 8V BMF? ballpark?

- - - Updated - - -

Ummmmmmmmmmmm...probably should have asked this first

If you were to just take the 8V BMF and try to make it work on the TIII..generally, what would need to change? This would be the cheapest way..for me to make adjustments to the 8V design versus starting over. Thats assuming the adjustments are not basically changing the whole thing.

Of course the head flanges would change..but if its a matter of just a different port, bolt patten, and angle, but I can keep the same "body plan"..thats a big win for keeping the price down

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Would the 7k rpm requirement make overall design roughly bigger than the 8V BMF? ballpark?
    No idea lol, haven't done any calcs. Probably not by much though.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

No idea lol, haven't done any calcs. Probably not by much though.
    Cool thanks..did you see the 2nd question though? I posted them back 2 back

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Cool thanks..did you see the 2nd question though? I posted them back 2 back
    No I didn't. I think the runners will need to be oval instead of round due to the port design, and also the angle off the head will be different. Might be able to use the same plenum though with some tweaks. However, I think making one from scratch will be easier and faster than trying to tweak the 8v stuff to work.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Do you have a TIII head and intake to work off of?

turbo addict

No I didn't. I think the runners will need to be oval instead of round due to the port design, and also the angle off the head will be different. Might be able to use the same plenum though with some tweaks. However, I think making one from scratch will be easier and faster than trying to tweak the 8v stuff to work.
    Yeah probably, the way the models are designed in solidworks, the only way I can change them is to add material then remove it, so it would be a giant mess. But I think I'll be able to copy the way I did things..as far as generally how I assembled everything in CAD and how the part geometries were determined.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by karlak View Post
    Do you have a TIII head and intake to work off of?
    I dont but if this got to the point where design time had arrived, I'd acquire myself the needed parts, maybe even a whole thrashed L-body with a broken head or what not. Then when the first prototype parts were ready I'd send them out to a ready willing and able TIII / Lbody owner to test fit.

Question: Is the TIII block geometrically the same (externally) as the 2.5CB and located in the same place in the engine compartment? I.e. head gasket surface, head bolting locations, etc.. because my CAD model of the engine compartment would be directly usable as is which would be nice. I would just have to model the TIII head and plop it in.

Also any suggestions on good, clear pics of a stock TIII engine in an L-body from multiple angles? With the A/C compressor plzzzz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast