Thread: TIII crank, what is it worth?

TIII crank, what is it worth?

my buddy wants to buy my spare TIII crank. obviously i dont want to just give it up, but what is one worth about? hes just in need of a T2 commonblock crank and will take any commonblock 2.2 crank as not many 2.2L commonblock turbo motors ever show up in the yard these days. the crank is sitting in my spare shortblock. will at least need to be looked at, motor had 130k miles and got oil pressure, no knocking or anything

turbo addict

Re: TIII crank, what is it worth?

I don't know what it would be worth. I wouldn't want to part with one for pennies either. If he's just looking for a 2.2 commonblock crank, it may be less expensive int eh end for him to get a reman from a parts house like OReillys or Car Quest. Last I saw, they offered machined cranks for our cars with the proper bearings for $150 give or take. Chances are it would be a cast crank which would be fine for anything but a max effort setup.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

hes looking for a forged crank, his car is making well over the 300hp mark and doesnt want to underbuild, he'd rather overbuild

turbo addict

Charge him whatever part store wants for a rebuild crank.

I wouldnt know, ive never looked to purchase one. Doubt he's looked either, hes cheap

Hybrid booster

Who you calling cheap lol.

Yes I'm intrested in the crank if I go the 2.2 route and not the 2.5 I didn't think it was a big deal one min your like it's headed to the scrap yard now it's like what can I get for it. As I told you you lmk and I'll look it over to see if it's worth it it's really no big deal

turbo addict

IMO, $150-200 for CB steel crank out of running vehicle. Less if it needs more than a polish to be useable. The CB cranks are a little more desirable than the steel early cranks, but both are getting hard to find in good shape these days. If it had freshly been cut correctly at a machine shop and was ready to bolt in, you could add another $125-150 on top of prices mentioned earlier. Look on vendors on-line catalog, see what they get. Of course add on another $50 for shipping to get it to your location.
    Todd

i dont see any vendors with them listed separately. i gotta pull that motor apart anyhows and get it off my patio.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    i dont see any vendors with them listed separately. i gotta pull that motor apart anyhows and get it off my patio.
    Cindy gets additional +200 for early steel crank and +250 for CB steel cranks on her rebuilds. This would be above the cost of the cast crank. Probably a bit more if they had fresh grind on them if bought outright. I remember calling a crankshaft vendor in my town a year or two ago, He had a couple and got $250 for his. These were cut .010/.010. I almost bought them for future builds, as it costs me $125+ dollars alone to have one cut. IMO, thinking your going to get a steel crank in lieu of cast one at Autozone/Advance/Napa/O'Reillys/Car Quest etc. for $149 is a pipe dream. IMO, you could order 50 cranks and not find one.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I don't think it can be anything near free since a cast crank would be perfectly fine for a lot more HP and the fact that they are harder to find means they should be more valuable. Try finding a replacement for yourself after you give your spare up and tell me how much value it has then. My penchant to save disappears when its hard to find something. If was my real life friend then that changes everything.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

$150-$200 for a good forged TIII crank is reasonable.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info