Thread: Masi 16v swap questions

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Masi 16v swap questions

Now that I have the Masi 16v in my Lancer, I'm running into a few issues.

1. Where do I attach the brake booster hose? I can't seem to find a dedicated 3/8" nipple on the intake manifold for it.

2. Is there any way of making my existing 3" TU downpipe work, or will I just have to give up and install the stock 16v TC downpipe? It's close, but the donut on the Masi 16v IHI turbo is about 2-3" farther toward the passenger side and the angle is a little bit different.. Also, can I use the same spring/bolt downpipe hardware that all of the other turbo 2.2/2.5 use?

3. It looks like I can just use the same throttle body as TII or TIII and it will bolt right up to the intake manifold.....BUT....the TB is facing the bell housing and there are a lot of funky brackets that go along with the 16v throttle body setup. I'm kind of at a loss as to how to make this work but honestly I haven't tried too hard yet. It would be nice to bolt up a TB and attach the TII throttle cable and go, but something tells me it won't be that easy.

4. Should I go ahead and plan on installing a low-profile radiator fan? I haven't gotten that far yet but I imagine it would make oil changes easier. I could probably make stock stuff fit, but that original radiator fan motor isn't going to slide in and out any more.

I'm sure I'll have more questions the farther I get.

Re: Masi 16v swap questions

i used a slimmer fan from a TIII car. I teed my brake booster in off the large vacuum line on the bottom of the intake i didnt have any issues braking or with the motor acting up funny from drawing off it. the exhaust i ran a standard 87 T2 downpipe and made the rest of the exhaust out of a fwdp 2.5 kit. the IHI turbo is crazy efficient, would be nice to run a full 3 in exhaust but even a full 2.5 is a big upgrade for the motor. sounds like fab work to get a 3in to fit and point correctly. the TB is the same as a t2 size wise, you can use a tIII one if you want a 52mm. i used the masi throttle cable so i cant help you on that one. i also had all of that in a gbody. some of it i imagine takes imagination to get it to fit and work nicely.

turbo addict

Jeremy you don't need any of that Masi TB turnbuckle stuff. Just bolt on a 52mm TB and be done with it. As far a brake booster, you should have 3 vacuum barbs coming out of bottom of intake. 2 should be 3/8", pick one for the brake booster. If you don't have a 3/8 barb on your intake, pick up a 3/8" to 3/8" NPT nipple from a 1 or two piece 8V engine, or hardware store and bolt it in. Downpipe you may need to fabricate something. I used a slim mount fan from Spal or Derele on my Masi motor in L-body.
    Todd

turbo addict

For the fan you might be able t get away with the 3.0 fan. It's pretty darn slim and moves a LOT of air!

Thanks for the info guys! Huge relief on the throttle body corundum. That Masi 16v cable bracket setup is just plain weird.

Garrett booster

Hey iTurbo,
    I tried pming you, but your box is full.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Thanks for the info guys! Huge relief on the throttle body corundum. That Masi 16v cable bracket setup is just plain weird.
    The cage/bracket is to keep the low mounted TB from breaking off in a front end impact. That's why it's such a heavy chunk of steel. I don't know if they are thinking about a draw-thru set up at the time and they thought RPMS would sky to the moon if the TB broke off or what?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MPI_duster View Post
    Hey iTurbo,
    I tried pming you, but your box is full.
    Sorry about that; I let my membership expire and ran out of room. Should be OK to PM now.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

The Ramerati (as built by ?_____________? Alan, help me out - his name?) came with a custom radiator that sits farther forward, between the core supports, that is, on top of the lower core support and under the upper core support. That makes room in the tighter L body engine compartment for the fan and enables access to the distributor and to the vacuum barbs under the IM, including the brake booster line - which is mainly 3/8 hard line that was bent to snake over the transaxle. As for the downpipe; stub off the stock one and expand to 3" after porting the stock SV. IIRC mine came with 2.5" DP that jumps to 3"
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Thanks for the info John. I don't think I got the brake booster hard line with this engine so it looks like I'll have to make my own. I plan to do the downpipe just like you described.

Does anybody have a wiring diagram of the 50-pin bulkhead plug used on the Masi 16v TC? The closest I have is a diagram for a '91 Lebaron GTC which might work in a pinch. And what headlight bulbs did the TC use?