Thread: Fuel pump out of power - please help.

Mitsu booster

Emergency mode? Please help.

Hello guys,

well, I received the Stage 5 ECU from FWD Performance. I changed the ECU, +40% injectors, 3 bar MAP, etc. and started the engine - everything was fine. I went for a test drive and after cca 10 miles, the car stopped. I heard that fuel pump doesn't work. After bringing the car home, I tested that the fuel pump is working by connecting it directly to a battery. There was no power going to the pump. I found the fuel pump relay and here are my questions. There are 4 connectors, one has all time 12V, than there is cca 2,8V and 12V power after switching the key on, the last one is leading to fuel pump, is that right? Maybe the relay is wrong (strange that it happend just after new ECU mounted), but when I connect directly the "all time 12V" into the empty connector, the fuel pump starts to work, but car doesn't start. The question is if the working of fuel pump is connected to an ECU?
    1989 2,2 Turbo II
    Thanks a lot in advance.

EDIT:
    There is another thing on my mind. When I measured the fuel pump relay, there was: 87 - all time 12V, 85 - switched 12V, 86 - 2,7V and 30 - 0V the last connector which leads to the pump. It's strange that I have some voltage at "86" because there have to be the ground against which is the switched "85" connecting the realy "87" to "30". When I connect directly 87 to 30 the pump works. So I can imagine that the ground on 86 is switched by the ECU, for example in case of emergency (after crash like many cars have) to disconnect the pump. And maybe there are another circuits which are also disconnected, like ignition, injection or something like that. When I connect directly the pump, it works, but other circuits can still be in "emergency" mode, maybe my ECU or the chip inside it is at this emergency mode and that is the reason why it doesn't work. The question is how can I recognise that, how can that happend through the drive and what can I do with it?
    Last edited by Michaltalbot; 04-05-2015 at 03:08 AM.

Mitsu booster

Re: Fuel pump out of power - please help.

So, I tried to put back my old ECU and guess what - the engine strated, so the problem IS at the Stage 5 ECU. What to do now? Is it possible to repair it somehow?
    Last edited by Michaltalbot; 04-04-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Mitsu booster

I tried to change the upper board with 14 way connector, but it doesn't helped. So now the one and only thing which is different from the condition when it works is the basic board with the chip. One thing from these two is wrong. Can I try to put the chip into my old ECU? To find out if the problem is at the chip or at the main board?

turbo addict

Put to a chip in your ECU, you need to socket your ECU.

I'd would buy a socketed ECU instead of messing with yours, so you have a backup.

Mitsu booster

Thank You, but there is a socket at this ECU, somebody made it before (maybe at the FWD Performance?) so it is possible to pull out the chip and put there another one. But what if the problem is not at the chip?
    I wired the fuel pump directly to power but car still doesn't start. Seems that there is something more bad. But it is at the ECU/chip, because with my old ECU it works.

turbo addict

If the ECU worked and then doesn't, the ECU itself is more likely to be blamed than the chip.

Mitsu booster

If so, than I can put the modified chip into my old ECU and problem will be fixed. But I also wrote to Cindy and she promised to send another ECU to me on Monday, so I will wait with the ECU swaps, because that will be the best way of course...

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

At this point wait until the new one shows up. If you can't wait, just make sure your grounded with a wrist strap or a work mat and swap out the chips.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Mitsu booster

There is another thing on my mind. When I measured the fuel pump relay, there was: 87 - all time 12V, 85 - switched 12V, 86 - 2,7V and 30 - 0V the last connector which leads to the pump. It's strange that I have some voltage at "86" because there have to be the ground against which is the switched "85" connecting the realy "87" to "30". When I connect directly 87 to 30 the pump works. So I can imagine that the ground on 86 is switched by the ECU, for example in case of emergency (after crash like many cars have) to disconnect the pump. And maybe there are another circuits which are also disconnected, like ignition, injection or something like that. When I connect directly the pump, it works, but other circuits can still be in "emergency" mode, maybe my ECU or the chip inside it is at this emergency mode and that is the reason why it doesn't work. The question is how can I recognise that, how can that happend through the drive and what can I do with it?