Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GTP and the stock 555

turbo addict

Re: GTP and the stock 555

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    What fluid are you running. I have had issues with grinding gears when using motor oil in my transmissions (2-3 shift in 523/568), once I switched to synchromesh I get perfect shifts.

Every transmission I have torn apart for whatever reason has had good brass but most of them still had grinding issues. The only thing I could ever figure on them is that it is too easy for the 3 struts to compress the spring and the pressure on the brass ring is too little to push the oil out of the way. A few others have tried doubling up the springs on the inside of the synchros to increase the pressure that is applied by the struts and it seems to be working.
    Thank you great advice. We are going to double up on springs this time. Also change the fluid as well.

turbo addict

Yes, any A555 or A520 that you have apart and can afford it, install the chromoly end plate.

I have used Synchromesh (Royal Purple) in my A555 and my experience was this: cold it shifted great. Warmed up it acted the same or worse than regular oil.

I drained that out and put in Red Line MTL and it's exactly the opposite. I will say that it still does not solve the 1-2 shifting issue completely, but it's better.

turbo addict

I found this good also....Red Line MTL.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Can you add a third pad at the 12 o'clock position on the shift fork? I've heard this helps with some of the shifting issues but haven't tried it yet myself.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    If its an earlier unit with the brass 1-2 synchronizer you may find its never going to shift exactly right. Chrysler/new process changed the 1-2 synchronizer 3 times over the production span of the 2.2/2.5 in an attempt to get it smoother. The first 4 speed and until the early 5 speed units came with all small brass rings on 1-4 or 1-5, then the larger 1-2 brass rings to give more friction surface and then finally the 3 piece 1-2 design with yet even more and higher coefficient friction surface.
    Your a genius! Brian swapped the 1/2 from a 568 and used a 89 up 555 shaft and it appears as if the 1/2 crunch is completely gone.

He also doubled up on the springs or something like that and filled it with ATF fluid.

Thanks again

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    Your a genius! Brian swapped the 1/2 from a 568 and used a 89 up 555 shaft and it appears as if the 1/2 crunch is completely gone.

He also doubled up on the springs or something like that and filled it with ATF fluid.

Thanks again
    Have read doubling those springs in the 3 piece synchro works well.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

Thanks again
    So are you going to make a how to or parts needed for the rest of us? Not looking forward to tearing the trans apart or if I can even find the parts but it'd be good to know what's involved.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by player1up View Post
    So are you going to make a how to or parts needed for the rest of us? Not looking forward to tearing the trans apart or if I can even find the parts but it'd be good to know what's involved.
    My how to's are always the same. Ask Brian what the bill is and then add approx 20 % because he undercharges.

So basically if you read my thread you'll see our trannies come with the old 555 1/2 gearset.

If you have a problem you will want to get ahold of everything 1/2 related from a 568 trans and locate a gear shaft from a 89 and up 555.

He also doubled up on the springs whatever the hell that means.

Also from what I was told you can do this without removing the trans from the car. Seems like voodoo magic to me.

Also if you haven't already make the throw on the gear shaft thingy longer than do it now. I actually did that mod myself. If we would have done that sooner it might have saved a stock 1/2 gearset.

The real trans write up would come if I ever decide to install the 568. That's what I wish the car had. Shifts are so much shorter. My GLHS shifts better than most modern day sports cars.

Hybrid booster

My how to's are always the same. Ask Brian what the bill is and then add approx 20 % because he undercharges.

So basically if you read my thread you'll see our trannies come with the old 555 1/2 gearset.

If you have a problem you will want to get ahold of everything 1/2 related from a 568 trans and locate a gear shaft from a 89 and up 555.

He also doubled up on the springs whatever the hell that means.

Also from what I was told you can do this without removing the trans from the car. Seems like voodoo magic to me.

Also if you haven't already make the throw on the gear shaft thingy longer than do it now. I actually did that mod myself. If we would have done that sooner it might have saved a stock 1/2 gearset.

The real trans write up would come if I ever decide to install the 568. That's what I wish the car had. Shifts are so much shorter. My GLHS shifts better than most modern day sports cars.
    I'll have to give Brian a call about the springs...and about what kind of black magic he used to do this with the trans in the car

What is this "shaft thingy" you speak of? Are we talking about the shift/selector shaft ends on the trans? Pics?

turbo addict

^^ HI Matt. I believe the shaft that holds the gears. I'll confirm but yes please call Brian.

I never ask him for picss Although it would be nice to share with others he's a one man show at his shop. He probably eats lunch while changing oil with his right hand and working on axles his left hand.

I do enjoy your pics and write ups and wish I had the talent and abilities to do this work myself.

Mike

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

^^ HI Matt. I believe the shaft that holds the gears. I'll confirm but yes please call Brian.

I never ask him for picss Although it would be nice to share with others he's a one man show at his shop. He probably eats lunch while changing oil with his right hand and working on axles his left hand.

I do enjoy your pics and write ups and wish I had the talent and abilities to do this work myself.

Mike
    Believe it or not, Brian eats lunch just like us regular people.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    Haha, Yea i know. I just added that to make the story better.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

What???? I heard he dunks chicken nuggets in 75w90!!!
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

Lies....lies I tell you

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    What???? I heard he dunks chicken nuggets in 75w90!!!
    From what I've seen of his work this wouldn't surprise me. Probably could use his telekinesis to hold the camera when his hands are full.

Mike
    The main 1-2 shaft makes sense with what I've been reading. Not sure I'll even get to this project as quite a few repairs and upgrades have gobbled up what fun money I had, but it'll be in the back of my mind.

Thanks for the compliment...I can do more with less when I do it myself.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

By doubling the springs I believe he's just adding a second spring to the wings of the synchros on each side. I've always thought that it would be a good idea. I'm sure that anyone who's had a trans apart has probably wondered why there aren't two of them or a larger one in the first place.

turbo addict

Update. Trans shifts perfect after Brian worked his majic.

This has got to improve my 1/4 mile times. In the videos ive seen i can visibly see my car pausing as I attempt to find 2nd and 3rd gears.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12