Thread: 1985 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo (T2)

Mitsu booster

1985 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo (T2)

Date: 31st March 2015
    Username: Speidz
    Full Name: Zac
    City, State, Zip:SE Wisconsin
    Selling or Wanted Price: $2500

Straight forward, engine is blown for the second time in 500 miles. I had it rebuilt the first time by Don's Auto in Kenosha, WI (http://dons-auto.com/) They do great work there. Well as luck would have it, right around 515 miles the motor blown a second time. Myself and my dad have decided we no longer wish to pull the motor out for a 3rd time. (First time was to put a new clutch on and do T2 swap, second for when it first blown.)

The shop that built the motor said they will do the labor no charge. I have 100% confirmed this with the shop and if you wanted to if you were to buy, I would go with you to the shop. The only thing needed provided is parts which will most likely be a set of pistons/rings and new gaskets. That is about it. When I had the engine rebuilt the first time I did the whole long block. I have the receipts for all the work they did to it still. Myself and the shop recommend going with Forged pistons this next time around. If you do put Forged in there, the car is ready with a few upgrades to be pushed past 15lbs of boost.

85 Omni GLH Turbo T2.
    Wired for 87 logic modules has a Boostbutton LM in it for 14.5lbs.
    T2/T3 Clutch Combo Kit
    255 Walboro Fuel Pump
    T2 Airbox with K&N Filter
    A525 Stock Tranny (Was taken apart and inspected/cleaned by Andy (Ajakeski))
    Chrome Moly Transmission Plate
    Greatlakeshotrod Shift linkage upgrade
    T2 Daytona Radiator/Intercooler
    Mister Gasket 1987 Fan
    Rebuilt Turbo around 1000 miles
    SS Turbo Lines
    2.25in Swing valve
    Stock Injectors / Rail
    Front tires are brand new Hankook Ventus V2s. Literally 30 miles on them. Rears could use replacing still
    Exhaust is a 2.5in catless with a Jones Full Boar Single Chamber Race Muffler (I have never heard a better 4cyl in my opinion)

Comes with all the old T1 stuff besides the turbo.

Interior is in okay condition. Driver seat has a small tear. Passenger seat is in pretty good condition. Rear seats are in perfect condition. Floor mats are still there for rear seats. I have just regular grey aftermarket floor mats in the front. Glove box bottom hinge broke so when you open the glove box it just falls. You can still close it though and it looks normal. Small easy fix I never did. Also the car has a moon roof.

Exterior has a few dings mostly on passenger side from people opening doors into the car. Should be easy to pop out. Small rust bubbles on the trunk, nothing to serious. Undercarriage is in pretty good condition for the age. No major rust that I have seen, has been garage stored for its whole life besides sitting in the yard not moving this winter and driving through half a winter in 2012. The car had just a once over respray before I bought it in 2011, it looks good and shines when its clean.

Performance on the car was great. I loved ever second driving the car besides when it broke down on me twice lol. It was never tracked but was pushed on the streets a few times. I would of gone autocrossing in the car but I never got the chance.

The car needs a bath since its been hiding under a tarp all winter. I also realized I forgot engine bay pictures so I'll get those up soon.

http://imgur.com/QRzK2N7,jM6W3hb,abd...6afz,wkyTDXB#0
    Last edited by Speidz; 04-01-2015 at 08:00 PM.

Hybrid booster

Re: 1985 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo (T2)

So why exactly did the engine blow up?

Good luck with the sale

Mitsu booster

I'm really not sure why it blown the second time to be honest. Could be just to much power for the non forged pistons. That is what the shop seems to think. It really only needs 1 new piston and its drive ready.

Also added transmission parts I forgot.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Speidz View Post
    I'm really not sure why it blown the second time to be honest. Could be just to much power for the non forged pistons. That is what the shop seems to think. It really only needs 1 new piston and its drive ready.

Also added transmission parts I forgot.
    If the shop told you, too much power for the non frged pistons, please dont walk but run away from them.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Glws

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    If the shop told you, too much power for the non frged pistons, please dont walk but run away from them.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Glws
    Exactly. I've run 25psi on stock Pistons before. Hell a completely stock bottom end for that matter and I know that motor was close to 300hp.
    Glws

Mitsu booster

Yeah, I talked with Ajakeski about what pistons to go with when building it. We went with the sealed power ones forget the exact model. They should've worked so I'm not 100% on what happened.

Mitsu booster

Quick Bump.

boostaholic

You sure the motor's done? Unfortunately I'm not a buyer just a lurker. Was looking at the pictures and looking at the LM. Some strange thick wires in there and a crimp. Just wondering...

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
    You sure the motor's done? Unfortunately I'm not a buyer just a lurker. Was looking at the pictures and looking at the LM. Some strange thick wires in there and a crimp. Just wondering...
    Yeah Motor is done. Blew the same way it happened last time. The wiring to the LM is splicing work/the conversion to 87 wiring. All done by my dad who is a licensed Master Electrician if that matters to anyone haha.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

We went with the sealed power ones forget the exact model. They should've worked so I'm not 100% on what happened. [/COLOR]
    Hyperutectic I suspect, they are no good for stock boost levels let alone elevated ones.

Working on clearing the decks.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Hyperutectic I suspect, they are no good for stock boost levels let alone elevated ones.
    I don't remember exactly, I do remember though that these were supposed to be the equivalent to stock pistons which everyone that I've talked to told me should've handled the boost and more.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

I don't remember exactly, I do remember though that these were supposed to be the equivalent to stock pistons which everyone that I've talked to told me should've handled the boost and more.
    Big difference between stock factory pistons and what is out there in the aftermarket.

Working on clearing the decks.