Thread: Setting the launch control in MPTune

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Setting the launch control in MPTune

Is there a scientific way of figuring out which spark cut fraction to use, or is it just trial and error for each engine? My 2.5 is blowing through the base setting of 4k rpm and a 5/7 spark cut.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Setting the launch control in MPTune

I think it's trial and error. With a lot of anti-lag, and building boost, I think it's going to be difficult to keep the RPM under control @ WOT. If necessary, we can increase the fractions available to cut more spark events.

On my car, with a Mitsu turbo, I can't go WOT and keep the RPM under control. It starts building boost and blows past the limiter.

I also had the idea to get rid of the user-selectable fraction and have it be adaptive. It would then keep increasing the fraction until it gets the RPM in control.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What's a good baseline for setting a staging limiter for my van? Do I pick spark or fuel cut out and I want bang bang,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Is there any risk of damage with those? The bang bang video seems pretty violent at least on the exhaust. What is going on in the cylinder & turbine housing during those events? Just so severely retarded that it fires when the exhaust valve opens?
    I'd like to know more, and clear up my ignorance of it.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    What's a good baseline for setting a staging limiter for my van? Do I pick spark or fuel cut out and I want bang bang,
    Bang-Bang only works with spark cut.

I'd start with 5/7 spark cut, -4 deg antilag, have the antilag RPM set about 6-800 rpm lower than your staging rpm, cutoff @ 2mph.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Is there any risk of damage with those? The bang bang video seems pretty violent at least on the exhaust. What is going on in the cylinder & turbine housing during those events? Just so severely retarded that it fires when the exhaust valve opens?
    I'd like to know more, and clear up my ignorance of it.
    Yes, probably.

The spark is cut, but the fuel is not. When the spark is turned back on, it is retarded to the setpoint, and as a result much of the combustion happens in the exhaust manifold. It's great for spooling (and breaking, as you can imagine) turbos.

Use at your own risk.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Thanks for the explanation.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    I also had the idea to get rid of the user-selectable fraction and have it be adaptive. It would then keep increasing the fraction until it gets the RPM in control.
    I think this is the best option, not enough folks know what to do or how changing this option would be of benefit. Making it "automatic" would encourage its use more.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    I think this is the best option, not enough folks know what to do or how changing this option would be of benefit. Making it "automatic" would encourage its use more.

Mike
    As soon as I get the GLH (aka, BoostButton development car) done, I'll try it.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Hmmmm, thanks.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Its pretty easy to tune, especially if you creep into making it work like Shelgame posted.

Bang Bang is rough, especially if you get aggressive with it. The last two times I have activated mine in the Junkyard, I blew my exhaust apart. When I had first set it up, I was open downpipe. Since then I pulled off the turbo and band clamped the full exhaust together. I am worried that if the exhaust was welded it would still break apart. Mine is still set to cutting 4/5 events which also results in backfires if you flatshift (Megasquirt).

Safe for your parts setup is not bang bang, but whatever is able to control rpms and then you can think about antilag. I don't need boost to leave hard and if you want to protect axles you will be slipping the clutch enough to build boost.

I am not sure if the actual bang hurts the turbo like it does welds on the exhaust but excessive heat is not a friend of your turbo. Bigtime rally racing or open wheel turbos that go through very high temps are not made of the same materials as we all use. Thinking the bearings on the your turbo could see some unhappiness if the bang bang is strong enough to break the oil film. Who knows about that. Gonna be application (oil pressure, etc) specific too.

BTW, I have heard that electronic cutouts do not like antilag (proably when closed) and I would assume aluminum exhaust might be unhappy. I have not put in the research to really say. I find this depressing.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 05-29-2015 at 06:31 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

boostaholic

Sorry to bring back an old thread but a question to add to this.. my launch control always seems to be activated below the cut of mph.. can be sitting in park.. all enabling switches off (brake switch, ac, cruise..) have no effet.. just Rev the engine up and it's active... do I need to set the mph to 0 for the switches to activate the LC?

If you have no switches set, it will cutoff on ONLY MPH. So, yes, it will be on anytime below the cutoff speed. If you want to be able to turn it on/off, set a switch and wire it in. Then you can enable/disable the launch control when you want.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Ahh ok.. simply checking the brake switch flag won't switch it on or off... if I want it on the brake switch I have to wire it into the sbec harness?? Is there a dedicated pin on the 60 way for it? I'm running an auto... 91 sbec...

No, if you select the brake switch, the staging limiter will be active only when the brake pedal is pressed.

Though, there seems to be an issue with that in the SBEC. Not sure why, but it doesn't always work right.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Yeah.. even when I select just the brake switch the 2 step is alway active.. I'm going to play with it tonight.. try differ switches... plus I need to fix my speed sensor... it's putting out some real wierd random outputs...thanks for clarifying for me (us) Rob!!

turbo addict

I just removed my turbo after extensive use of the bang bang limiter with lots of spark retard and the turbo side to side play is not much more than when I installed the turbo but there is a lot more in/out play than before. I believe that on a larger turbo this would be less of an issue.

You can set the bang bang limiter up but use very little spark retard and the rpm control will be much better without hurting the turbo. The only way I get it real harsh is to use -16 degrees of timing. If you set it to 0 there will be no damage to the turbo and rpm's will stay steady without pushing through the limiter.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

boostaholic

This right here is great info!!!