Thread: Rusty Fuel Lines!

Mitsu booster

Rusty Fuel Lines!

I recently became the owner of a 1992 Dodge Spirit LE with the 2.5L 4cyl non turbo engine and wanted to replace the fuel filter.
    I go under to where the filter is and to my dismay the fuel lines all the way from the pump to the filter are rusted up badly. I was too afraid to even replace the filter for fear of breaking the lines.
    How hard is it to get those lines replaced? Is it something a DIYer could do with minimal experience? Is it possible to use lines that aren't the steel ones that need to get bent properly?

I also noticed the thing eats fuel way more than a 4cyl 100hp engine should, I suspect a leak or a really dirty TB/TBI.
    One of her many problems, I'd like to get her back in decent running condition so I'm taking things one at a time. The fuel lines and fuel economy are definitely topping that list.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Rusty Fuel Lines!

That section of lines is probably the most complicated bend-wise on the entire car as there tucked up tightly on the inside of the 'frame rail' that being said if you can get them off in one piece there not hard to replicate. Forming hose beads is the hard part as most people don't have the tool for doing that, a flaring tool will work though.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

A for the fuel economy, it's not the 100hp that's the problem, it's the fact that you have to use a good percentage of that power at any given time to get the car moving. Especially if it's an automatic.
    I regularly got about 16mpg city out of mine. I could stretch 23-25 on the highway maybe.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Also have to remember that the spirit is a heavier car compared to a shadow or omni. If it's auto, it will never get great MPG. 3 gears just aint enough.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I just replace that section of one in my cars with braided SS now. Or I'll do two pieces of tube it's too rough to do one piece with everything in the car.