Thread: 87 Sundance TI

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

87 Sundance TI

My car is a 1987 Sundance T1 MTX unbadged( came that way), I bought new. I just purchased a running 88' Daytona Shelby Z with Super 60 for the parts, the body is really bad. The idea is to port over the Z parts to the Sundance (60,000Miles on the clock) which is my daily driver. I will split the projects into bit size pieces, so I can drive to work during the week.
    1) Add AC to Sundance.
    2)Replace ATE with KH brakes.
    3)Unsure about rear disk as 88 Disk are reported as issues with wedge. I use the EB, everytime I park, if that makes a difference .
    4)Rebuild 555 and place into Sundance, hopefully only bearings and seals are required.
    5)Rebuild TII with IC and replace TI. As a DD, drivability/reliability is #1....therefore I was thinking approx 250hp maybe a reasonable goal on 91 fuel. I have both 33# and 52# injector for the TII
    6) Considering to change LM to SMEC but maybe a vacation project rather than a weekend one.
    All suggestions welcome.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 87 Sundance TI

That sounds like a good plan to me.

turbo addict

get the ac parts from a newer R134 car like a 93-94 shadow.
    Dont forget the fuel pump, change this way before the engine swap. maybe even add a wide band o2 before/
    I would really try to change to the SMEC or sbec, those older setups are so over complicated if your going for reliability SBEC is the way to go. you might need a new body/dash harness to go newer.

Ive daily driven my acclaim for 4 years (winter too) my only break downs have all been attributed to my poor workmanship, (fouling wires, loose hardware, ect.) its a very reliable platform.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Raccoon,
    Thanks for the message.
    1)Last summer I used the complete AC from my 88 daytona shelby Z and use R12A and it works great
    2)removed ATE brakes on front and upgraded to single pin KH from the Daytona
    3)replaced drum brakes with Disks from the Daytona

I am very pleased with the brake upgrade and expect to upgrade to the 11" fronts from a 91 Spirit R/T this year

I am currently building a 2.5 TII and have started to assembly the short block.

going forward I now have a 568 and several 92 SBEC so we will see how far I get this year.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

for the simple TII conversion you could leave the TI bottom end in the car and sell the TII one if you don't have another use for it

my blue 86 TZ was built on top of the stock 86 short block and had no issues

heck it just might rev a little quicker without the forged crank and heavy rods

an 88 turbo K car engine harness might work as they still used the bulkhead connector at the firewall , not under the dash - finding it might be harder than the actual install though

that would get a smec in it fairly easy

the K car harness would be for the blow through TI so it would need the intake temp sensor added which is easy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    for the simple TII conversion you could leave the TI bottom end in the car and sell the TII one if you don't have another use for it
    So here is the pseudo full story so it may make more sense.

I am building an 89 CB 2.5 TII on the cheap as I have an 89 2.5 TI long block. I have ripped this apart, cleaned and painted and is now being assembled. Once together I will replace the 87 TI and see how I like it. 2.5 TI vs 2.2 TI will be the test before installing an IC.

I am also considering rebuilding a 2.2 CB, forged crank( yes CB), but I need to determine if I want a 2.2 or 2.5 in the Sundance.

The "spare" engine I hope to place in another TM, once I find one I like over the next year or so.

PS I have the full "everything" including electrical from my 88 Daytona Shelby Z. I have the stock and Super 60 SMEC, S60 Turbo, +40, 3 bar etc.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH