Thread: 88 Daytona front brake pads

Hybrid booster

88 Daytona front brake pads

I have a consulier gtp that has front brakes from an 88 Daytona. I use this car for road course track days.
    In short it appears that there are no performance brake pads for this set up. Neither hawk, ebc or any other manufacturer makes a hi performance brake pad.
    Any ideas ? I have heard of converting to 1990 caravan brakes which are bigger, but still no decent pads. Due to the heat generated from hard braking and these cheap pads, they glaze and I get major brake fade.

Thanks

turbo addict

Re: 88 Daytona front brake pads

What about 91+ caravans or daytona's or Lebaron GTC's. 87-90 caravans with 15" rims, 89/90 Daytona Shelby and Lebaron GTC's with 11" vented rears used a lightweight 11" front brake setup. in 91 that changed to a heavier 11" brake setup but with improved ball joint location but with more pad options. I'm not sure why they went with Fiero rear brakes but if it were me I'd put the 89/90 11" front setup on all 4 corners. Even with just a generic pad and the weight it should be fine. Maybe also look into a slotted rotor so the pad get's scraped a little each time.

Hybrid booster

Are the 90 daytona brakes same as 90 caravan ?
    I can get decent pads for 90 daytona. I was told to do caravan brakes I have to change the knuckles.
    Does anyone have pictures of these 2 set ups ?

turbo addict

89/90 Daytona with Vented rears use the same "lightweight" 11" spindle as the 87-90 caravans with 15" wheels. If you didn't get vented rears on your daytona you got 10" brakes all around. And if you got 14" wheels on your caravan you got smaller 10" brakes. So for the daytona or Lebaron GTC you want to look for the "with vented rears" callout to make sure you're getting 11" stuff on the fronts. And for the caravan you want to look for 15" wheels. Daytona Shelby and Lebaron GTC came with them from the factory, but I've seen some lesser models that had them optioned on so it's just easy to go by the vented rear callout.

In either case you'll have to change the nuckle to get 11" brakes. But they're j-yard items for the most part unless someone wants to sell them online which shipping is a killer on. If you go to the j-yard to look for them they're pretty easy to spot as the caliper adapter bracket is molded into the spindle, not bolted on like the smaller 10" stuff or the later 11" stuff.