Thread: Drivers Front Caliper Sticking

Hybrid booster

Thumbs down Drivers Front Caliper Sticking

Hey Guys,

For a while I have had the issue of the drivers front brake caliper sticking slightly. It has worn the drivers pads considerably more than the passengers. I replaced the caliper and rubber line with no success. 89 Plymouth Voyager Turbo

Out of curiosity, as I was changing out my drivers front tire, I pushed the piston back into the caliper. I went in the car (it was off), and the pedal would only go half way to the floor as I clycled it to squeeze the pads back together. The piston eventually clamped the pads to the disc, but due to the limited stroke it took quite a few cycles. When I was changing the passenger front tire, I did the same thing, but the pedal went to the floor as I cycled it, pushing the pads together and firming up the pedal within a few cycles.

Any idea what is going on here?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Drivers Front Caliper Sticking

What shape are your caliper guide pins in? If they hang up, it could cause it not to seat correctly.

Also check the caliper mount, especially where the brake pads ride. Have the pads cut grooves in the mounting bracket? They could be hanging up there as well...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

'89 Voyager should have had the single-pin Kelsey Hayes calipers, which are notorious for the above problems. Which is why I'll never use those for an "upgrade" again.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Your rubber brake hose is probably pinched at the point where the steel bracket holds it to the strut.

The bracket crimps around the hose and over time rust grows between the bracket an hose. The rust chokes off the hose.

Try prying open the bracket and see if the caliper frees up.

Then change both hoses.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Your rubber brake hose is probably pinched at the point where the steel bracket holds it to the strut.

The bracket crimps around the hose and over time rust grows between the bracket an hose. The rust chokes off the hose.

Try prying open the bracket and see if the caliper frees up.

Then change both hoses.
    I had this problem with my 95 Neon while driving to Orlando about 6 years ago...ended up being collapsed brake lines.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]