Thread: Checking line pressure?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Checking line pressure?

What type of a gauge do I need for that? Does anyone have a link to one that will work? How do I go about it easily and what should I shoot for?

I'm thinking that I need to check this due to the fact that my trans shifts really softly between 1 and 2, and to a lesser extent 2-3. However if I shift it manually it doesn't have any problems. It will also hold just fine in 2nd and kick down pretty normally too.

I've adjusted the shifter cable and kick down cable according to the FSM.

Also, I think the trans has been drilled and tapped for a fitting on the back side where I've read you can do so if you want to make line pressure adjustments without pulling the pan. Is that what it's there for? I've very reluctantly learning the automagic transmissions.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Checking line pressure?

Pressure gauge rated for hydraulic (petroleum) exposure that can read up to a few hundred PSI. Ideally you'd have two gauges with one reading a lower scale and one that goes higher so when fine tuning and/or taking readings you get better accuracy for the intended range your measuring (not trying to read 58psi on a scale that goes from 0-300 vs reading 58psi on a scale going from 0-100psi for example) The case taps are 1/8" pipe thread
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

turbo addict

The case threads are smaller than that. 1/16th pipe has been my experience. If you're not checking reverse, I'd go with a lower pressure gauge, like mentioned above, 100 psi is good for stock stuff. If you're ramping things up some, I'd go as high as a 150 psi gauge. Warning. Do not exceed 150 psi line pressure. The applied pressure to the clutch pack is more than they can take and damage the drum retaining ring for the rear clutch, and you'll have reverse only. I have mione set at 135 psi WARM. The temperature makes a big difference and my car needs a good 5-7 minutes warm up to even consider putting it into gear or things break.

http://www.uscars.biz/uscars/extras-..._A415_A470.pdf

This shows what test ports do what, with a stock transmission, Cheetah reverse manual valve bodies are different.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Thanks guys. Looks like I still have a lot of reading to do.

turbo addict

It's not so complicated, just don't get carried away. Remember cold and hot pressures make a difference.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

You don't need a guage to check line pressure. Just cut the line with a knife and see how far the pressure squirts the liquid. Simple

Sorry, missed the auto trans part of it. Drill a hole in the case near the port and observe how far the fluid squirts. Bingo!
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

get the 300 psi gauge. try to get a 300 psi hydraulic hose about 3-4 feet or so long to go with it- makes it a LOT easier to read pressure when you're doing things like checking pressure in different gear ranges, stall test, etc. also comes in handy for road tests.

don't let the automatic trans mystery scare you away- the 413 auto is literally the most simple front wheel drive automatic trans out there, VERY easy to work with once you get the basics down.

edit post a pic of the fitting you are talking about that someone installed, makes it much easier to confirm if it was to access the line pressure adjustment without removing the pan.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    You don't need a guage to check line pressure. Just cut the line with a knife and see how far the pressure squirts the liquid. Simple
    Sorry, missed the auto trans part of it. Drill a hole in the case near the port and observe how far the fluid squirts. Bingo!
    Love it !

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    The case threads are smaller than that. 1/16th pipe has been my experience. If you're not checking reverse, I'd go with a lower pressure gauge, like mentioned above, 100 psi is good for stock stuff. If you're ramping things up some, I'd go as high as a 150 psi gauge. Warning. Do not exceed 150 psi line pressure. The applied pressure to the clutch pack is more than they can take and damage the drum retaining ring for the rear clutch, and you'll have reverse only. I have mione set at 135 psi WARM. The temperature makes a big difference and my car needs a good 5-7 minutes warm up to even consider putting it into gear or things break.

http://www.uscars.biz/uscars/extras-..._A415_A470.pdf

This shows what test ports do what, with a stock transmission, Cheetah reverse manual valve bodies are different.
    I'm curious, You mentioned having to let the fluid warm up before you put the trans in gear with the line pressure set at 135 psi warm. What type of trans fluid are you using (synthetic)?

turbo addict

Type 4, and it's more of a precaution than anything else. In the past, I've had higher line pressure and broke the transmission when it was cold, so I make sure it's warm. It also twisted the splines on the input shaft and would bark the tires going into 3rd. My current line pressure of 135 is at operating temperature.