Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 83Scamp's 89 Daytona ES project

Hybrid booster

Re: 83Scamp's 89 Daytona ES project

Maybe some one here has the address of the guy who supplies those cute little plastic gears you need for your speedo. I had the address but it's gone where my sock go when she puts 'um in the dryer since we relocated. You won't believe the $ of those 2 gears but their perfect and everything else you're gonna find is dried up and toast too. BTW, keep your wife's eyebrow tweezers handy 'cuz you're gonna need 'um for the new plastic implants, Jer

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

I got mine here: http://www.odometergears.com/product...ept+Monaco/125

They are LUDICROUS money, but unfortunately your only other option is to keep buying clusters from junkyards until one works for some amount of time. Here's what I pulled out of mine last year:

They fit together like this:

I left the photos large when I uploaded them, so if you view them on Photobucket, you'll get a good amount of detail. You can see in the pictures that the smaller gear is missing quite a few teeth. The remaining portion of the gear is quite brittle. The same can be said for the larger gear, which has one crack all the way through and other cracks forming. Inside the odometer, there's a small motor with a gear on it that meshes with the small gear in the photo. The larger gear is what drives the actual digits in the odometer. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the inside of the odometer.

The good news is that the gears I bought appear to be very high quality. The new larger gear is a single-piece casting, as opposed to the original where the gear itself is attached to a backing piece with "plastic welds". Although mine did not separate, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it has happened to others. Let me know if you need help once you've got it yanked apart.

EDIT: didn't see back one page that you had already pulled it apart.
    Last edited by jonnymopar; 04-16-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Hybrid booster

Yup, them's the ones and why would you just buy one when it takes 2 to make the set. Lemme see? If I was 50 when I bought 'um a few years ago and they last 30+ years should I buy TWO sets and keep one set in a dark and cool place like our safety deposit box? Hell yeah, Jer

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I found a guy on ebay selling them for 1/2 the price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151645685442...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT That's who I bought them from. I'll let you guys know if there are any issues with them. I absolutely agree, $50 is stupid money for those two tiny gears... Shoot, I think $22 is high for no more than you get, but it is a specialty part built in low volumes...

Here is my gear:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150415_0000.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	54324

Once I get that fixed, figure out the horn & driving lights, I should be mechanically pretty sound for a while....

I wish I'd had my horn yesterday. Some dumb broad pulled out in front of me in a minivan on a country road. Almost didn't have a Daytona to worry about fixing... Well, the brakes work, I can tell you that... I mean, it's bright red, how do you miss me coming??? Then she proceeded to drive at 35 mph...

Of course, I wait forever to finally pull the trigger on these, and once I do, they show up for half cost shortly afterwards. Oh well, at least now I don't have to explain every time I get the car inspected why the mileage hasn't changed. Nor do I need to back-calculate mileage based on my 12-button navigator's trip function, which of course loses memory when the battery is disconnected.

I like old cars, I like old cars, I like old cars, I like old cars, I like old cars, I like old cars...
    Jon J.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    I found a guy on ebay selling them for 1/2 the price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151645685442...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT That's who I bought them from. I'll let you guys know if there are any issues with them. I absolutely agree, $50 is stupid money for those two tiny gears... Shoot, I think $22 is high for no more than you get, but it is a specialty part built in low volumes...

Here is my gear:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150415_0000.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	54324

Once I get that fixed, figure out the horn & driving lights, I should be mechanically pretty sound for a while....

I wish I'd had my horn yesterday. Some dumb broad pulled out in front of me in a minivan on a country road. Almost didn't have a Daytona to worry about fixing... Well, the brakes work, I can tell you that... I mean, it's bright red, how do you miss me coming??? Then she proceeded to drive at 35 mph...

Wait, what *kind* of Mini Van
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140525_120551.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	899.3 KB 
ID:	54325  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Wait, what *kind* of Mini Van
    Not one of those Alan...

I think it was a Mazda....

Anyway, another update: The gears arrived yesterday and I installed them. The odometer & trip meter are now working fine! Went in great, no issues. Very good ebay seller, and fast shipping.

I also fixed the pin hole in the vacuum line for my HVAC controls. They now go where I want them to, at least until I hit boost.... That will be fixed in a few days. I had to order a check valve.

Overall, the car is running great. I really have no complaints. I've put about 700 miles on it in the last week, and it runs like a top. I'm eager to finish collecting parts for my 5 speed swap. 3200 rpm at 75 mph, is hell on gas mileage...

I still have to figure out why the driving lights don't work. Just haven't had time to really dive into that yet.

Friday and Saturday were great T-top weather. Unfortunately, this week is rain: highs in the 50's, and lows in the 30's... Hopefully it warms up again next week...

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    I'm eager to finish collecting parts for my 5 speed swap. 3200 rpm at 75 mph, is hell on gas mileage...
    I like the 555 in my car now for the strength, but with my past 520-equipped cars, you could wind them up to 85mph and never hit 3000rpm (which was fine since the stock 2.5 TBI fell on its face halfway up the tach anyway).

Did you decide on a transmission? With only minor horsepower upgrades, a 523 would probably make for a nice-shifting highway cruiser.
    Jon J.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    I like the 555 in my car now for the strength, but with my past 520-equipped cars, you could wind them up to 85mph and never hit 3000rpm (which was fine since the stock 2.5 TBI fell on its face halfway up the tach anyway).

Did you decide on a transmission? With only minor horsepower upgrades, a 523 would probably make for a nice-shifting highway cruiser.
    Either a 520 or 523. I'm not planning on making big power so I don't need to go 555 or 568. I've found a yard not too far from me that claims to have both. Kind of depends on what's available. If I can get the shifter an cables to go with it, either one will work for me. I definitely want the 3.50 ratio, because I'm looking for good mpg's. I drive 84 miles a day...

Well, a small update. After getting the odometer working, I finally ran a tank of gas through it, so I decided to check my mpg's. Got 26 this tank. From what I've read, that pretty good for an auto car with no OD... Can't wait to see what it will do with a 5 speed.

I also ordered new shocks & struts yesterday from Rock Auto. Checked this morning, and they are out for delivery!!! They shipped from a warehouse in Indy. Fastest service I've ever gotten from them!!! Plus, I get $60 back after I fill out the rebate form! Can't beat that... I'll end up with only $80 in them, including shipping. Yes, they are Monroe shocks. I know a lot of guys don't like them, but I'm not building an autoX car, I'm building a cruiser to drive to work. Besides, a t-top car is a lousy platform for handling anyways. Too much body flex... Once I get the shocks & struts on, I'll get new tires, and I should be set mechanically. Then I can start on body & paint...

Updates? Rowing gears yet?
    Jon J.

I've actually just been enjoying the car the last few weeks. It runs and drives great. The new shocks & struts made a huge difference going down the road. It's a great car, and I now know why so many guys like Daytonas. Definitely a more civilized ride than an L-body.

Work has been nuts the last few weeks, so I haven't had much time to do anything to the car. I'm certainly not in a big hurry. I have plenty of time to make this car what I want. I have found a 5 speed for it, just need to make some time to go up and get it.

My blue one is my 3rd Daytona. I love 'em! Every one I've had was a joy to drive, even the non-turbo ones. Between the 3 cars, I've made MANY long trips in Daytonas.

Honestly, don't delay getting that 5-speed in there. The first time I drove my car in stock form, I honestly thought that something was wrong with it. I was used to two TBI cars, both with 5-speeds, and this turbo automatic felt like it had about the same amount of guts to it. I was discussing it with a friend who had basically the same car as you minus the t-tops, and he offered to let me drive it. It felt the same as my car!

By the time I had the 5-speed in my car, the Turbo I engine was gone, but I can only imagine how much that car would have woken up by simply swapping the manual in.
    Jon J.

I agree with you. I want to do the 5 speed swap, if for no other reason than the much improved cruising rpm & better mpg. I've done some comparisons this last week. My Scamp, with the 3.56 FD 525 in it, will cruise down the highway at 75 mph turning about 2700 rpm. The Daytona with the automatic at the same speed it turning about 3400 rpm, and the Daytona has larger diameter tires(205/60/15's vs 195/50/15's)!!!

I regularly get 32-34 mpg with the Scamp, the best I've done so far with the Daytona is about 25-26... With an 80 mile drive round trip to work every day, I need the extra mpgs.

Well, I figured I'd post an update, and a question.

The new O'Reilly's fuel pump started whining, so I took it over to let them listen to it. They agreed it didn't sound good. Not only did they replace it for free, but upgraded me to a different brand(and higher priced) pump with a lifetime warranty! I can't argue with that. It also gave me the chance to replace the loose tank roll over valve, and re-seal the pump hanger. I discovered I had a leak if I put more than 10 gallons in the tank. Not sure if it was the vent, or pump hanger, but after last weekend, it is sealed up, and I can fill it with no issues now.

Now, on to my question. For those who have restored a Daytona, how do you get the sun visors apart without breaking them? I figured out how to get the illuminated mirrors out the back, but I need to open the visors so I can recover them. It appears they just snap together, but I haven't been able to get them apart yet...

Also, it appears on these cars that they used a headlner material without foam backing. Not sure I want to go that route, but so far, all the places I have looked just sell foam backed headliner material. Any suggestions???
    Last edited by 83scamp; 06-11-2015 at 08:05 PM.

I haven't posted any updates in quite a while. I've been driving and enjoying the Daytona most of the summer. Hard to believe I've already put over 7K miles on it!!!

I've decided to hold off on paint until next year, just too much going on once the boys start back to school.

I started the 5-speed swap yesterday. I decided to start with the interior. I managed to get all the old auto trans stuff out. The 5-speed shifter is mounted, the brake/clutch pedals are in. What a job! You have to basically tear out most of the dash to change this stuff out! It will be worth it though. Can't wait to be cruising about 700 rpm lower.... 30+ mpg, is only a few days away! I'm hoping to have it done by the end of the week.

Mitsu booster

Nice ride, I'd love to own a t-top car again :/

Finish up the trans swap? Which 5spd did you choose? Also, I think your headliner is (was) foam backed. Isn't the crap that flies right into your eyes the remnants of the deteriorated foam?

Not done yet. It's turned into quite the project. All the auto stuff is out, including the trans. I decided to change the main seals & oil pan gasket while I was that far.... That has turned into a job & a half... Oil pan & rear main were easy. I think bolt locations changed from non-common block to common block. I don't remember having to remove the intermediate shaft gear to get the front main seal retainer off. Well, you do on the '89 2.5. Plus, the A/C bracket interferes with the intermediate shaft sprocket by about 3/8", so that has to come off as well... Took me almost 2 hours last night to get the front seal retainer off, and I already had the oil pan off!!!

It's off now, a little clean up, new seals, and I'll finally start re-assembly... So much for having it back up and running in a week...

I'll probably spend some time on the honey-do list tonight after work, and tomorrow I'm heading to Kokomo in the Scamp for a cruise in at the Chrysler transmission plant, so probably won't touch the Daytona again until Monday...

Well, I finally finished the trans swap. Took me almost 3 weeks, but it's done. I am in so much trouble now!!!! This thing is a riot to drive. I can't imagine the acceleration if it had a 3.77 or 3.85 FD. The 3.50 FD A-523 is wicked fast compared to the auto. It's going to take a little getting used to. It shifts way different than my Scamp. I like the later shifter, nice smooth throws, and it's very short compared to the L-body setup. I installed booger bushings in it to firm things up. Maybe it's just because I've always had an L-body, but I sort of prefer the more mechanical feel of my Scamp. But that's after a 5 mile drive, I need to give it a fair shot in the Daytona. I also have to get used to the different power band. The Scamp just winds to 6500-7000 rpm without issue, and it sound so good doing it. The 2.5 turbo in the Daytona is pretty much done by 5K... That will take some adjusting. I absolutely love to wind out the Scamp. It sounds totally p*ssed off doing it, and it is awesome!!! A turbo motor just doesn't sound as good as a high compression 2.2 with headers, and big exhaust...

The really sweet part is the OD. 60 mph, is just barely 2000 rpm now. Should dramatically improve mpg's for my long drive back and forth to work...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I have 523's in a couple of my cars and 568's in a couple others. THe 523's just seem to shift with less effort, lighter gearset coming into play I suppose. What kind of exhaust work have you done to the Daytona? Single biggest free to rev improvement in my experience...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast