Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 83Scamp's 89 Daytona ES project

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

83Scamp's 89 Daytona ES project

As of yesterday, I now own my first true turbo Mopar. I bought an 89 Daytona ES turbo. 2.5 T1 auto car with T-tops!

It's a little rough at the moment. The paint is shot, and the hillbillies that owned it before me though a skid loader was a good way to move it around. Luckily the worst damage is broken tail lights. I just couldn't pass it up. 110K miles, and it is a rust free car. Something you almost never see in Northern Indiana! It has a couple of electrical issues, biggest one I figured out last night, which was a blown fuseable link to the ASD relay.

Anyway, I figured I would cronicle the build here. The forum isn't leting me upload pictures at the moment, so I'll post as soon as I can.

Plans call for a complete ground up rebuild, FMIC, +20's, a tuned SMEC, and convert it to a 5 speed. I'm making this one my new daily driver, so I don't plan on going too crazy with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150315_0001.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	54049

Name:	150315_0000.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	54050
    Last edited by 83scamp; 03-16-2015 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added pictures

Re: 83Scamp's 89 Daytona ES project

Last night I cut out the bad fuseable link and installed an ATC fuse. I have power back to everything now! I also cleaned out the gas tank with laquer thinner. It looks pretty good now. I'm waiting on all new seals for the gas tank so I can reassemble, and put it back in. I'm going to install a new filter, and flush the whole system before I attempt to try and start it...

Ran into my first big issue. I was taking all the hoses off the turbo so I could check it, and the entire compressor section wiggles??? I assume the v-band clamp between the sections is loose? Anybody know if this is a common issue with the mitsu turbos? Is my turbo fried, or can I save it? I'm looking to get a spare just in case, and have a lead one a good used one now. Unfortunately, I know the only real choice I have is to pull the head so I can get to the turbo and check it out... Guess I need to order an upper gasket set...

I had some time to dig into the turbo tonight. Turns out the bonehead that owned it before me remove the v-band clamp that holds the hot section to the cartridge... I assume he did it when he changed the starter...I have no idea why???

Anyway, the turbo is fine, spins nice and free, and no shaft play, so as soon as I can locate a v-band clamp for a Mitsu turbo, I'll be all set... I also installed new tail lights to replace the ones they broke trying to move it around... Not sure how they managed to smash both tail lights, but didn't hurt the bumper, or rear filler panel...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

It's in good hands now If it ends up half as nice as your Scamp, it'll be a nice DD

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Nice grab, certainly with the right miles! Other than yours being red and mine being blue, that's exactly the car I started with (T-tops and all). I swapped mine to stick too, but I accidentally dropped a rebuilt 2.4L in there while I was at it.

I'd kill for that seemingly-uncracked front chin spoiler.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    Nice grab, certainly with the right miles! Other than yours being red and mine being blue, that's exactly the car I started with (T-tops and all). I swapped mine to stick too, but I accidentally dropped a rebuilt 2.4L in there while I was at it.

I'd kill for that seemingly-uncracked front chin spoiler.

Thanks,

It does have one crack on the passenger side, right at the corner. I think I'm just going to fix it, and paint it. I'm actually pretty lucky with the condition. I am technically the 4th owner, the first two being lady's. The last, being a redneck hillbilly that thought a skid loader was a good way to move a car around that didn't run.

Suprisingly, the only damage they really did was both tail lights, and a dent in the bottom of the spare tire well. I still can't figure out how they missed all the ground effects... They somehow bent the support from the bottom of the radiator to the hood latch area. That is why the top of the nose looks a little funny. I need to straighten that out and reinforce it so the hood latches correctly. I bent it mostly back last night, but need to do some more tweaking... I think I'm going to just make a new support using some thin-wall tubing. Eventually there is going to be an FMIC up there, so I may have to do some mods anyways...

More progress today! I was able to get the leaking trans resealed. I installed a new v-band clamp on the turbo and reassembled the intake plumbing. I was also able to get the gas tank reassemble and back in the car and all plumbed up. By the time I finished that, I was wiped out for the day, so hopefully tomorrow I can fill the trans, put some gas in it, and see if it will run.

I also discovered a couple of nights ago that the supposedly "rotted" brake lines were nothing more than a bad master cylinder. Not only was it shot, but it was the wrong size! It was labelled 7/8, and I know it should be 24mm... It's correct now.

Wish me luck tomorrow with a first start attempt!

It is alive!!!

After having to pull the pump again because the hillbillies wired it backwards, I was able to start the Daytona this afternoon. Ran pretty rough. That's when I discovered a plug wire not hooked up right, and a cracked distributor cap. Replaced that, and fixed the wiress, and she fired up and sat there and purred like a kitten!!!

Took it for a short drive around the block. I didn't hear any funny noises, and it seemed to track OK. I need to bleed the brakes, and figure out why the left turn signal doesn't flash, then I should be ready to drive it to work! It also got pretty warm sitting there idling, so I'm not sure if I still have an air bubble in the system, or a stuck thermostat... The fan cycled, so I know it's working.

Awesome. Always good to hear about one of these cars being saved. Keep us updated!
    Jon J.

After sitting overnight, I had a puddle under the front again. Turns out the axle seals in the transaxle were shot. Hard as a rock. I replaced those last night, hopefully I got all the oil leaks fixed now. I have never had a lip seal come out as hard as those. I finally had to pull the driver side bearing retainer to get it out. I beat on it like I never had before. It finally gave up and popped out. Passenger side was a little easier, but not by much.

I did notice the heater control valve is leaking slightly. Not sure if I should gamble on a replacement or do the bypass thing. If I bypass it, does anybody have a drawing on how to do it? This will be my DD, so I need heat in the winter...

I also found another hillbilly... Passenger side tie rod end, they removed the nut holding it to the steering knuckle, so now the hunt is on for an M12 X 1.25 lock nut...

Hybrid booster

As close as your nearest Fastenal my friend. Elkhart? Peru? Or find the oldest wrench at your local Mopar Dealer and ask if you can pick thru' his nut 'n bolt stash drawer, he might surprise you by saying yes. 12X1.25 should be easy, lol

$10 will get you a new tie rod end. Then you won't have to wonder why the yahoos took it off in the first place.

As for the heater valve, for years now I've regretted bypassing mine. It simplifies the coolant plumbing quite a bit, but it sucks driving around during the summertime with that trickle of hot air that I can't get rid of, even with the vents closed. Plus if you plan on keeping your air conditioning, you don't want it to have to fight against a hot heater core. I don't have air conditioning on mine, so it matters a bit less, but I still really want to find a nice metal valve to put in there, even if its a manual one that I have to open and close from under the hood.
    Jon J.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    $10 will get you a new tie rod end. Then you won't have to wonder why the yahoos took it off in the first place.

As for the heater valve, for years now I've regretted bypassing mine. It simplifies the coolant plumbing quite a bit, but it sucks driving around during the summertime with that trickle of hot air that I can't get rid of, even with the vents closed. Plus if you plan on keeping your air conditioning, you don't want it to have to fight against a hot heater core. I don't have air conditioning on mine, so it matters a bit less, but I still really want to find a nice metal valve to put in there, even if its a manual one that I have to open and close from under the hood.

Thanks for the feedback. That's what I wanted to know. I've heard both ways. Some say it's not noticable, some, like you, say it is...

I'm definitely keeping the A/C. In fact, it's on my list to check. This car was converted to R134A back in 2004. I tried to run it on Sunday after getting the car started, it never kicked in. I'm assuming it low on refrigerant. Since it's been converted, I can fill it myself and try it...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. That's what I wanted to know. I've heard both ways. Some say it's not noticable, some, like you, say it is...

I'm definitely keeping the A/C. In fact, it's on my list to check. This car was converted to R134A back in 2004. I tried to run it on Sunday after getting the car started, it never kicked in. I'm assuming it low on refrigerant. Since it's been converted, I can fill it myself and try it...
    I'd throw a dryer on it first, theyre cheap and when they disintegrate internally they frag the entire system with goo and debris. Dealing with that right now on Woody.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    I'd throw a dryer on it first, theyre cheap and when they disintegrate internally they frag the entire system with goo and debris. Dealing with that right now on Woody.

OK, good to know. Thanks.

Well,

I'm making progress, slow but sure. As soon as USPS quits screwing around and delivers my last brake hose, I'll bleed the brakes, and that will be done. For some reason they decided to ship it to the other side of the state first... Of course it would be done if Raybestos had packed a right front brake hose in the right front box as well... Rock Auto took care of me and I hope the replacement is correct...

Last night I pulled all the seats and cleaned EVERYTHING. Gotta love my Bissell little green machine... Got rid of some of the funky odors, but I have Odoban for the rest of it... Managed to get the one bad stain out of the drivers seat, so I'm happy with that. The interior is actually in really good shape, so bonus there! Hopefully tonight I can put the seats back in, and install the last brake hose, then I should be just about ready to take it for it's first real drive!!!

Stopping by the BMV on the way home to get plates for it so I'm legal...

Well, got the seat back in last night. It looks pretty decent, they are still slightly damp, but hopefully they will dry today.

Name:	150331_0000.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	491.7 KB 
ID:	54185Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150331_0001.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	326.6 KB 
ID:	54186

I now have tunes as well... Anybody know why the factory speakers won't work with an aftermarket head unit unless you bypass the mini-amp on the back of them? This had me scratching my head for a couple of days.

USPS still has my last brake hose on a whirl-wind tour of Indiana. Hopefully they get it right today and deliver it... I need to install that, bleed the lines, and repack the rear wheel bearings, and I should be ready for a first real drive!
    Last edited by 83scamp; 04-01-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Last brake hose arrived yesterday finally, it was the correct one. Brakes are all buttoned up and bled. I also repacked the rear wheel bearings. They weren't horrible, but they needed it... Also discovered that the hillbillies must have beat on the stud on the tie rod end to get it loose. I couldn't get a nut to go on to save my life, so ran to the parts store and picked up a new tie rod end... WHich really sucks because the old one was nice and tight. Absolutely no reason to change it...

Got it back down on all fours last night and noticed that the front end alignment is way off. I must not have followed my marks like I should have... I completely disassembled the front when I changed the axles seals. The camber is way off. I'll do a driveway alignment tonight and hopefully go for my first real test drive!

Well, I've been asking so many questions in my fuel thread, I forgot to update this one!

Car is back on the road and running well. Fuel pump cured the stalling issue, I've replaced all the oil seals on the front of the motor & the distributor o-ring. Hopefully I've gotten the worst of it. Beginning to think I was going to have to nick name this car the Exxon Valdez... Still need to do the rear main, but I'm hoping to wait until the 5 speed conversion...

Fixed an intermittent fuel gauge issue, the connector contacts were bent. I've been working little things as time permits. I plan on driving it for a while, then starting body and paint later on this summer... I enjoyed a nice Spring afternoon yesterday. It was nice enough after I got off work, I pulled the T-tops out, rolled down the windows, and enjoyed the ride home.

I'm going to really enjoy this car...

I was able to repair my power door locks and power mirrors last night. I also took the speedo apart, and figured out the gears are toast, so that's why my odometer & trip meter don't work. I also cleaned the engine up, so it makes it easier to find oil leaks...

Other than that, I'm just enjoying driving it...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast