Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate T2 radiators!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: I hate T2 radiators!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    I have a Daytona that likes to run hot, can you describe your aluminum scoop? Where did it go and what did it attach to?
    Building a shield that covers the opening underneath between the front air dam to the radiator helps too.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Building a shield that covers the opening underneath between the front air dam to the radiator helps too.
    I have a FMIC and a condensor in front of my radiator. If I build the above mentioned shield, will I still get enough air to keep the motor cool?

turbo addict

I had a home-made "chin apron" on my car since the factory part had been replaced and it was all saggy so I cut it off. I made it out of fiberglass. I cut 2 square openings in it near the core support to allow airflow up into the nose. Again, I never had a problem cooling, but I seem to be the exception here.

Hybrid booster

Not on a Daytona. Especially a 92-93 where thhe small slits in the bumper that provide airflow aren't large enough to provide adequate cooling without having air come in from underneath.

I have a FMIC and a condensor in front of my radiator. If I build the above mentioned shield, will I still get enough air to keep the motor cool?
    I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    Not on a Daytona. Especially a 92-93 where thhe small slits in the bumper that provide airflow aren't large enough to provide adequate cooling without having air come in from underneath.
    I did it on an '89 Daytona ES and I had so much ram air the fan very rarely came on. I had a light to tell me when the computer turned the fan on.

Hybrid booster

I don't know.

I did it on an '89 Daytona ES and I had so much ram air the fan very rarely came on. I had a light to tell me when the computer turned the fan on.
    As you said, you had an 89. Lot bigger openings in the front for airflow.

This on your 89

Vs this on a 92-93, ndhe openings on the inside where only about 1" tall.

turbo addict

I sealed off the nose on my 87 ShelbyZ and it had Hella 300's in the nose openings. But then I put a big S10 airdam along the lower radiator suppport So basically it functioned like the 84-86 TurboZ Daytonas underneath. Never got hot even when it was 105 out. I made a block off plate where the T2 i/c used to sit and had a cummins i/c out front behind all the vents. The only place for air to come in was through the openings and the only place for it to go out was through the radiator after passing through the i/c. Anything over 30MPH was causing a vacuum in my engine bay so it really pulled air through the rad.

turbo addict

Yeah running 25+ year old radiators what does one expect? How many hundreds of thousands of gallons of coolant has run through it? And to think I had no one interested a while back when I had a NOS TII one for sale. Back in the day Modine had new replacement TII radiators for the G/J/Q bodies.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Mine in my charger has no problems sitting behind an over sized FMIC. I had min re-cored with a low flow (double or tripple core..I can't remember) and closed off the openings at the bottom of the front air dam.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    Mine in my charger has no problems sitting behind an over sized FMIC. I had min re-cored with a low flow (double or tripple core..I can't remember) and closed off the openings at the bottom of the front air dam.
    A/C or no A/C? Because that makes a huge difference.

i put a Pbody rad in my charger,behind a 4inch thick intercooler.nerver runs hot now rt2 rads aretoo narow I never have cooling isues now canyou feel amy cool spots n your rad?
    Last edited by boost geek; 03-18-2015 at 01:02 AM. Reason: spelling
    later Dick Westerhof

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    A/C or no A/C? Because that makes a huge difference.
    No AC.
    I used to have issues with heating until I re-cored the rad however. The multiple layer low flow cores make a big difference.

i wanted to have my t2 rad recored and i was quoted like 300$ and told thats because its a high efficiency core.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    No AC.
    I used to have issues with heating until I re-cored the rad however. The multiple layer low flow cores make a big difference.

This is why I asked.

I never have a problem overheating with a TII radiator and no a/c running, even in 120F weather. I can't imagine anyone else have overheating problem with a working TII radiator, on the street.

With a/c running, coolant temp would raise higher and higher, and I would have to shut the a/c off to keep the car from overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    This is why I asked.

I never have a problem overheating with a TII radiator and no a/c running, even in 120F weather. I can't imagine anyone else have overheating problem with a working TII radiator, on the street.

With a/c running, coolant temp would raise higher and higher, and I would have to shut the a/c off to keep the car from overheating.
    Same here in my Dad's '85 wagon. No AC no problem. AC on = overheating.

boostaholic

A little while back I was looking at buying this radiator for my TIII car. There was a used one on here not long ago where I found out it will fit our cars as it was used out of a TIII car. Used the stock radiator fan in his application. I will be replacing mine with this one when the time comes.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-1-26201-x

turbo addict

I have a Griffin radiator in my GLH, it works fantastic along side of a Volvo 15 inch fan found on 940/960.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...hlight=griffin

Hybrid booster

Like I said, I did have cooling problems on my Charger when the rad was stock and with the huge custom FMIC in front of it which is why I went for the multiple layer slow flow core.
    And to make sure the air entering the front end had no other path but to pass through the rad, I closed off the two openings on the bottom of the front air dam and made shields on either side of the rad. This made it in my view as efficient as possible.

Obviously an AC car is all the more demanding but as mentioned, a good recore may be your solution.

Forgot to mention, you might want to consider updating your fan if it's the stock OEM unit.
    I replaced mine with a slim fit race fan and it's night and day the difference in how quickly it can cool compared to the stock fan.

turbo addict

Yeah, I forgot to mention I am running a 1990 3.0 V6 fan with the shroud trimmed to fit tightly around the radiator. That fan is AWESOME!

turbo addict

A little while back I was looking at buying this radiator for my TIII car. There was a used one on here not long ago where I found out it will fit our cars as it was used out of a TIII car. Used the stock radiator fan in his application. I will be replacing mine with this one when the time comes.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-1-26201-x
    Will a 16" tall core radiator fit in a Daytona? Don't think it will fit in an Omni.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast