Thread: Stock replacement fuel pumps

Hybrid booster

Stock replacement fuel pumps

Car: 86 Lancer ES, bone stock T1. I noticed a little while ago that if I don't refill my tank once the low gas light comes on the car can sputter occasionally. Yesterday she was showing 1/2 a tank and was doing the low fuel sputter. Today I went and filled the tank and it took 12 gallons, so that means the gauge is now malfunctioning. Fuel pump was replaced by previous owner just before I got it and I only put about 2000 miles in the 2 past years. So, my question is, who makes the most reliable fuel pumps ? I'm not looking for any thing fancy, just a stock replacement. Thanks.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Stock replacement fuel pumps

Airtex maybe Denso if they offer one. I personally would avoid any NOS units or independent sellers on Amazon no matter how good the price if you want reliable. Fuel pumps age even sitting on the shelf IMO…
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

For my money I go with a Walbro unit and call it a day. Much better than anything else for the price and the installation isn't much more of a hassle.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I've not had much experience here, but I know from doing alot of reading about fuel system issues, most guys swear by the real Walbro's available from FWP & TU. They say don't run anything else, unless you like walking... I know that's what I plan on using...

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    I've not had much experience here, but I know from doing alot of reading about fuel system issues, most guys swear by the real Walbro's available from FWP & TU. They say don't run anything else, unless you like walking... I know that's what I plan on using...
    Now that you mention it I have a Walbro in my Shadow that's been going since 2002 give or take. I think I have them in 4 of my cars right now and I've yet to have one fail. Keep at least a 1/4 tank of gas in there and they'll last for a very, very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Now that you mention it I have a Walbro in my Shadow that's been going since 2002 give or take. I think I have them in 4 of my cars right now and I've yet to have one fail. Keep at least a 1/4 tank of gas in there and they'll last for a very, very long time.
    Exactly what I've read...

If it's a stock T1, the OP doesn't need the 255 lph unit. The 190 would be fine, and those go for about $100...

Hybrid booster

So the fuel level sender and the fuel pump are separate assemblies. If your level sender isnt working right you don't "need to" replace the fuel pump. And if the pump is going out, it should act the same with a full tank as it would with a 1/2 tank.

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    So the fuel level sender and the fuel pump are separate assemblies. If your level sender isnt working right you don't "need to" replace the fuel pump. And if the pump is going out, it should act the same with a full tank as it would with a 1/2 tank.
    That may not always be true. I've had FPs which come and go for a while before dying. IMO it's worse when the tank is low because it will heat up enough to not work and die more quickly. In general I do agree with you though.

Hybrid booster

The OEM pump on my 99 Dodge Stratus had 234,000 miles on it before it died. I was surprised to find that the pump itself was a Walbro after I removed it from the sender. I really think they do make a great product. That being said, you are having sender issues too, so it seems pointless to buy a pump/sender assy and then another pump for an upgrade. With the minimal amount of miles you drive the car I would probably go with something like an Airtex as I've used a lot of those at work with good results. RockAuto is showing Carter, Bosch, and Delphi available of which all are decent brands to me.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    The OEM pump on my 99 Dodge Stratus had 234,000 miles on it before it died. I was surprised to find that the pump itself was a Walbro after I removed it from the sender. I really think they do make a great product. That being said, you are having sender issues too, so it seems pointless to buy a pump/sender assy and then another pump for an upgrade. With the minimal amount of miles you drive the car I would probably go with something like an Airtex as I've used a lot of those at work with good results. RockAuto is showing Carter, Bosch, and Delphi available of which all are decent brands to me.
    That's a great point. I thought that the 86 cars except the L bodys had a separate pump and fuel level guy. I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    That's a great point. I thought that the 86 cars except the L bodys had a separate pump and fuel level guy. I could be wrong though.
    I believe you are correct, all of the "K" based derivatives that are fuel injected or turbo have two holes in the tank. One for the fuel pump hanger, and one for the sending unit.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Delphi is a good brand, used as OE by many manufacturers. Walbro is a good one also.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Hybrid booster

Sorry I didn't realize the sender is separate from the pumps on these, I'm used to working on my Charger!