Thread: 1989 Daytona Questions

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

1989 Daytona Questions

OK, figured I'd post a general question out there.

This weekend I'm going to go look at an 89 Daytona ES turbo with T-tops. From the pictures I've been sent, and the conversations I've had with the owner, I'm 98% sure I'm going to buy it. But seeing it in person is the real deal. I've always dealt with L-body's, so owning a G-body is going to be new for me. I'm asking for input on what to look for on this car that can be a problem area. I know about the rust around the parking brake cable area on the floor pan. I also know t-tops can be fun to get to seal correctly. Any other areas of major concern? The clear coat on this car is shot, but paint doesn't worry me. Current owner says it's one of the cleanest Daytonas he's ever seen, zero rust, and that is saying something in Northern Indiana!!!

The plan is to spend this summer and fall going through the car from top to bottom and making it mechanically new. Struts, shocks, brakes, poly suspension bushing, etc. I'll then take it down and repaint it. I also plan to POR-15 the entire floorpan inside & out to prevent rust. This car is going to be my DD next year when my oldest gets his license, and he takes over my current DD. I do plan some eventual upgrades, FMIC, +20's, maybe a cam & upgraded SMEC... But that is down the road...

So what do I look for on a Daytona???

Thanks guys.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: 1989 Daytona Questions

I've never driven one with T-tops, but in my opinion, Daytonas are superior to L-bodies in every way except for the weight.

(running to get my flame suit)

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I've never driven one with T-tops, but in my opinion, Daytonas are superior to L-bodies in every way except for the weight.

(running to get my flame suit)
    Same here. I would check the rockers pretty carefully for rust. I think mine are pretty much gone behind the gfx.

Thanks guys. The rockers were on my list as well. Supposedly this car was owned most of it's life by a little old lady, and pretty much babied, I'm hoping that's what I find when I look at it Sunday. If this goes through, I'll be sure and post pictures, and start a project thread...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Really nit pick the seals etc. on the t-tops. Those aren't available any longer from what I've read and when you see them they command big bucks by almost anyone's standards.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

P-Brake hole for sure.

Also, look for rust on the body seam between the rocker panel and the floor. There's like 3 panels spot welded together there and the open end points toward the ground. Every Daytona I've owned had rust up in the 'channel' just inside of this seam. It's hard to see; you'll have to get down on the ground.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    P-Brake hole for sure.

Also, look for rust on the body seam between the rocker panel and the floor. There's like 3 panels spot welded together there and the open end points toward the ground. Every Daytona I've owned had rust up in the 'channel' just inside of this seam. It's hard to see; you'll have to get down on the ground.

Thanks Rob, I'm taking a light with me so I can inspect the underside. I'll definitely look in those areas.

BTW, what do you have for a custom tune for an 89 T1 2.5? This car is currently an automatic, but future plans include a 5 speed, FMIC, and a socketed SMEC. Not looking to go crazy, but if I can get it to 225-250 hp, without spending big bucks, I will... I know the mitsu turbo is pretty limiting, but where is that limit?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

The Mitsu limit is about 240hp. It simply can't flow enough air to make more than that. If you get 220 out of one on pump gas, safely; then you're doing good.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

89 is a great year for Daytona's IMO. First year of the best looking exterior without the interior changes of 90+. One thing with the heavy 2-door cars is the doors can get hard to open and close. Mine pop and snap when closing, and I had a Daytona that you had to lift up on the door to get it shut.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Just to update this thread, I did buy the Daytona yesteday. It looks rough, but the body is clean, and rust free. That in itself is a miracle inthis part of the country. I'm sorting out some electrical issues, and neglect from sitting, but I hope to have it on the road in the next month or so. I want to drive it a little as-is to make sure no other gremlins pop up, then tear it down for body work and paint...

I've been unable to upload pictures to the forum so far, and I can't access any online storage places from work, they are blocked...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150315_0000.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	54051
    Last edited by 83scamp; 03-16-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: added picture

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dwh4784 View Post
    89 is a great year for Daytona's IMO. First year of the best looking exterior without the interior changes of 90+.
    I used to dislike the newer style interiors myself (and I still miss the older enthusiast seats), but once you've gotten used to it, you realize they are a bit more ergonomic and still look more like a modern car even at 25 years old.

Hybrid booster

I like the styling of the dash area, but have had more issues with gauges/switches.

I do however like the seats a lot better in the 89 vintage. I swapped 89 Lebaron seats into my 91, much comfier and the leather seems to hold up better.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Mitsu booster

We have had two 89's and one 90 - I think they really cheapened up the interior of the 90. The 89's just seem to be so much more solidly built...

turbo addict

back in the day I heard cryco hired a guy away from ford to do the 90+ daytona interior

looking at the one I had I think I can see that .. looks "cheep" - kinda like topaz cheep

I agree though it's style still passes as current , more or less even in 2015

Mitsu booster

Very helpful guys, thanks alot.

car servicing