Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: larger head stud 2.4 block

Garrett booster

larger head stud 2.4 block

Has anyone went to a larger head stud like 1/2" or 9/16" on a 2.4 block?

turbo addict

Re: larger head stud 2.4 block

I'm curious if people did this how they got it to work with the head. I know it can be done with the old 8V heads because I've personally seen it done. I am sort of interested in doing this to another engine, but there are things about it that scare me away, too. BTW, the engines that I know were done were all N/A engines.

Garrett booster

I currently run 11mm h11 studs, they work but the company that makes them went out of business. and they are not cheap. I think going to a 1/2" stud will defiantly be just as good.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Is it really needed? Have there been failures using stock size ARP studs? And if so at what power level?

Garrett booster

Yes, the regular arp will not hold 60psi.

turbo addict

Oh the joy of having 12mm headbolts from the factory.

Is there enough meat to just run a long pilot reamer through the holes in the head?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

For the 8V heads I know 1/2" hardware can be used. I don't know what this does to cylinder wall distortion, etc. On the engine I saw this on it was no concern (N/A), but on super high boost applications...yeah, I dunno.

The other thing is that for things like my Masi head, I think bolts could be done with custom heads, but I don't know that 1/2" studs could be done because I'm not convinced there is enough meat or room to get a nut down in there.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

With a hammer and grinder, anything is possible!
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

ARP 12mm tapered shank studs suck as Bakes said they wont hold 100 psi I have a pic of one on my photo bucket,maybe I will post it tomorow if I have time
    later Dick Westerhof

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    For the 8V heads I know 1/2" hardware can be used. I don't know what this does to cylinder wall distortion, etc. On the engine I saw this on it was no concern (N/A), but on super high boost applications...yeah, I dunno.

The other thing is that for things like my Masi head, I think bolts could be done with custom heads, but I don't know that 1/2" studs could be done because I'm not convinced there is enough meat or room to get a nut down in there.

Shoot, in the early days, before quality ARP hardware was available, they used to use Hemi lower row head bolts on the 2.2... Somebody figured out they were the correct length... I'm pretty sure those were 9/16", but I would have to get out my old book and check...

boostaholic

Yes it can be done!We use to do it to the 2.4's for the pro 4cyl neon when i worked at Hahn back in the nopi days.1/2 " studs.The exact process im not sure of but it did go to machine shop to get done on both head and block.The dowel pins also had to be redrilled.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Shoot, in the early days, before quality ARP hardware was available, they used to use Hemi lower row head bolts on the 2.2... Somebody figured out they were the correct length... I'm pretty sure those were 9/16", but I would have to get out my old book and check...
    Yup. My friend who did this used the Hemi studs. I am pretty sure he said they were 1/2"

I may switch back romopar hedbolts if I have to,crankthem straight to 100 psi I do chase the threads and low tem outwith compresed air
    later Dick Westerhof

turbo addict

I am still a bit confused on the install lubes that have been available from ARP and the torque specs. Seems like their newer lube doesn't change the torque value as much as the old stuff? Use the old stuff with a new torque spec and you would have a disaster. I really don't like how ARP handles this technical issue. I don't think anyone wants to give them a call in the middle of the night during a build.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Here's are some realistic questions, though:

How many of the really high power guys are having problems with the head studs/bolts stretching?
    What power level is this happening at?
    Was there any detonation during the service life of those parts?
    How often is this a problem?
    Are there certain positions in the headbolt pattern that seem to exhibit stretching than others?

I know Warren Stramer did some pressure paper studies on his car to determine what clamping was going to work the best for his application. (notice I did not say the best option overall!?) That's how he came up with needing to add the extra bolts to his build. I believe he also uses bolts and not studs (at least I know there's one of the higher power people that claim this).

I like the idea of using better/beefier hardware, but I'm not convinced it's totally needed.

boostaholic

I up graded to 1/2" studs just for piece of mind. Even made a cool fixture that anybody could do it with a hand drill.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    I up graded to 1/2" studs just for piece of mind. Even made a cool fixture that anybody could do it with a hand drill.
    That's pretty cool! Would you mind sharing?

boostaholic

That's pretty cool! Would you mind sharing?
    Here you go.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ht=1%2F2+studs

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Here's are some realistic questions, though:

How many of the really high power guys are having problems with the head studs/bolts stretching?
    What power level is this happening at?
    Was there any detonation during the service life of those parts?
    How often is this a problem?
    Are there certain positions in the headbolt pattern that seem to exhibit stretching than others?

I know Warren Stramer did some pressure paper studies on his car to determine what clamping was going to work the best for his application. (notice I did not say the best option overall!?) That's how he came up with needing to add the extra bolts to his build. I believe he also uses bolts and not studs (at least I know there's one of the higher power people that claim this).

I like the idea of using better/beefier hardware, but I'm not convinced it's totally needed.
    I think boots has already figured out it might be needed for his application. He is one of those really high-powered guys.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster

One of the main reasons I'm looking into is to not have to spend a arm and leg on exotic material head studs. Like I said my direct replacement h11's have worked great. But the aren't cheap and readily available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast