Thread: 86 omni glh, front strut mount and clunking sound help

Garrett booster

86 omni glh, front strut mount and clunking sound help

I replaced all of my glh's suspension up front years ago. Van control arms, new bushings, tie rod ends ( outer), struts, and ball joints. I tried to replace the strut mounts but they didn't seem to fit properly, so I just reinstalled the stock ones. I soon noticed a clunk coming from the front left. It was most obvious if you went through a dip in the road, or any where the suspension would unload. When the suspension would reload, there was a clunking sound. It also clunks when I first go to move the car from a stop. If I turn the wheel a bit as the car 1st moves, I will hear the same clunk. It's fairly loud. When I hear it, I thought it was the sound of the strut being pushed up into the mount, but when Its barely moving, it sounds more like something bound up releasing. If I jack the car up so the front wheels are off the ground, I can grab the wheel and move it up and down in the strut mount. I figured this was my problem, so I replaced the strut mounts. I was able to remove the slop from the driver's side, but the clunk is still there. On the passenger side, no matter what I try, I can't remove the slop. The bearing doesn't seem to fit into the strut mount well. This allows the bearing to move around. I test fit the pieces to just the strut and when they are tightened down, the strut mount still wobbles around.

My question"s are-
    How are the strut mounts supposed to be installed? I have an 89 service manual that shows the order of assemble is spring perch on the bottom, then the mount bearing, then the strut mount, and finally put the spacer piece into the bearing and then the top washer/ dish shaped thing the nut tightens to. On the ds, i had to put a washer or 2 on the spacer piece to get rid of the slop. On the ps, no matter what I do, I can't get rid of the slop.

The popping sound on the ds doesn't seem to be related to the strut mount, so what other component would pop when the suspension is unloaded or the car barely moves. I don't know what brand the ball joints are. They came from an ebay vendor selling older car parts. I also didn't change the inner tie rod ends, but I doubt they would cause this problem. Maybe there's a way to test them that I'm not aware of. Any other ideas

thanks in advance!

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: 86 omni glh, front strut mount and clunking sound help

Do you have the rubber isolators on the spring perches? If not, the springs are possibly moving around on the spring perches and making noise.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Could it be the strut mount binding and quickly releasing? I had a white Omni yrs ago that did this. Kind of sounded like a spring releasing after binding.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Garrett booster

I don't remember the car even having isolators for the spring perches. it doesn't have them now. Does anyone sell them? I did a quick search, but had no luck

As for the strut mounts binding, I guess its possible. I'm not sure a binding strut mount would explain the clunk when I unload/then reload the suspension. The quality of the bearing the mounts come with seems to be hit or miss. I read a post on here how the mounts seem to be made by the same company, no matter what brand you buy from. I'm going to try ordering 2 more from rockauto. They are cheap enough. Hopefully I can get one of them to work.
    Are you supposed to be able to grab the wheel ( car off ground), and push the strut up and down through the strut mount? That was my first thought on the clunking sound's origin. Like I said, i was able to use washers to remove this slop from the ds.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Sorry, I was thinking while driving and turning is a part of that. If you can make it happen sitting still, forget the binding part. I think you just have worn or broken mounts.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by boboli View Post
    Are you supposed to be able to grab the wheel ( car off ground), and push the strut up and down through the strut mount? That was my first thought on the clunking sound's origin. Like I said, i was able to use washers to remove this slop from the ds.
    I have noticed that *some* movement is possible even with new ones with the car jacked up. Keep in mind the movement I'm referring to is a solid movement, much like a bushing that is compressing just a tad. There should be zero slop or play in the strut mount when you try to move the wheel up/down or in/out. Sometimes it's easier to simply grab the spring with both hands and push/pull in various directions to find play in the strut mount without the weight of the tire.

Also check your ball joints. With the car at rest on the ground, pry between the control arm and the bottom of the spindle from the front and the back to see if there is any play. Also pry between the ground and the control arm to see if the ball joint compresses any. You can do the same kind of prying on the sway bar to see if the outer sway bar bushings have slop.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford