Thread: Can you ID an MS1 pcm?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Can you ID an MS1 pcm?

I bought a used MS1 computer off a member of calibersrt4.net and have had it installed for about a week now. At first I thought it felt a bit peppier, but that may be because I had filled up with 93 octane right before as opposed to the usual 91. Max boost at WOT is no higher than it was with the factory pcm. I dunno. I'm beginning to think I may have gotten ripped off. The computer had all the stickers peeled off, and only had MS1 written on it with a Sharpie. Is there any way to tell if it's real or not?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Can you ID an MS1 pcm?

Are there any part numbers left on it anywhere? I have MS1 that I bought from FWDP and I can check it it you want. If you had MS1 vs stock you would know it. It made a BIG difference for my car. The improvement in throttle response alone should be enough to convince you if it is really MS1.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I bought a used MS1 computer off a member of calibersrt4.net and have had it installed for about a week now. At first I thought it felt a bit peppier, but that may be because I had filled up with 93 octane right before as opposed to the usual 91. Max boost at WOT is no higher than it was with the factory pcm. I dunno. I'm beginning to think I may have gotten ripped off. The computer had all the stickers peeled off, and only had MS1 written on it with a Sharpie. Is there any way to tell if it's real or not?
    I would be very suspicious of any pcm with the stickers peeled off. There is no reason to remove them, and the only reason you would want to remove it is to hide what computer it is. If you have a MS1, there should be no reason to hide the PN. Now if you had a stock pcm that you were trying to pass off as a MS1, well.....

You can send to me and I can have it checked if you want
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Hybrid booster

Man what a shady, backhanded thing to pull on someone if you really did get ripped off. Sometimes when I am thinking about buying a part off a forum member I'll look back at their posts to see if there is any mention of the part I'm interested in. Can you see anything from that person talking about upgrading from the MS1 (where logically they would be looking to sell it)?
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Did you have the dealership install it with a Starscan tool? I imagine you probably did if it even starts and runs.

I hope this works out somehow? The only vendors I ever did business with over at that forum was NeedsWings and Gizmos Retrofits (now Inline Carbon) and they were both great to me (good service and HQ parts).

I still want to get RealTune MS1K for my Caliber but I get the feeling I'm not that much of a preferred customer/leghumper. They recently reduced the price of MS1K probably because the majority of customers by and large have already bought it and this is a 6-7 year old car now so a lot of people have moved on.

Yes it was done with the Starscan. I paid slightly less than what RealTune charges for a core, so worst case I'll send it in for a core if I ever feel like buying one from him. But even the "reduced" price of $475 is a big chunk of change to drop on a daily driver, especially when I've still got so far to go on the GLHS restoration.

I hear ya Adam. I've been reluctant to drop the coin for MS1K because I'm so tied up on my old turbo Mopars. I really want to get the SL and R/T running again before making the Caliber even faster than it already is.

What I REALLY want is to make the Spirit R/T and SL even faster than the CSRT. I have some ideas that basically involve 16v swap for the SL anyway. The R/T just needs a bigger turbo, intercooler and boost.....the SL might need a little more work.

I just saw another orange Caliber SRT cruise through our parking lot this morning; so apparently I'm not the only one in town with one anymore. I had to check on my own car to be sure it wasn't being stolen!

See that's where I don't get the Caliber. Mine has never felt like anything near the advertised 285hp rating. It's not boring to drive, but overall the performance has always been a bit underwhelming. It doesn't feel that much faster than my Daytona, which is pathetic at best. My fiancé's Fiesta ST (197hp) was able to creep away from it. And I know my Charger would walk all over it without breaking a sweat.

Dang man not sure what to say. Unfortunately these cars are just rare enough that getting a ride/drive in another one is likely uncommon at least locally. I know I've only seen 1-2 other CSRTs up close since I bought mine but I admit I'm out in the sticks here.

I bought Mopar MS1 from FWDP and it really turned my car into an animal. Head and shoulders above any bolt-on mods older turbo Mopar I've owned before. The only exception might be my old red Spirit R/T.... 3" exhaust, 50-trim T3/T4, 20 psi boost, big intercooler etc..

I've raced newer 5.0L Mustangs, Camaro SS, Challenger SRT and haven't had much of a problem, especially from a roll of course. I did lose to a newer Corvette Z06 ('05-'06?) that just walked away.